Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A quick poll: How long did it take you to sell your used bik

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
NewBiker1990 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:12 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

About tree fiddy.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: A quick poll: How long did it take you to sell your used Reply with quote

NewBiker1990 wrote:
Hi all,

I am doing a research project on used bikes. I was just wondering if any of you kind people could tell me roughly how long it takes you to sell a bike from first advertising it?

Thanks so much! This will really help me!

Thanks,

Mark

Most bikes I've sold have been part ex'd, the only one I remember selling recently went within about twenty minutes (on eBay). Maybe I'd priced it too low, but I was reasonably happy with the price I got.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

37 nanoseconds. Thumbs Up

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

About an hour. In the process of selling to Nice chap that lives on an oil rig purchasing it for a family member. Which is nice of him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: A quick poll: How long did it take you to sell your used Reply with quote

NewBiker1990 wrote:
Hi all,

I am doing a research project on used bikes. I was just wondering if any of you kind people could tell me roughly how long it takes you to sell a bike from first advertising it?

Thanks,

Mark

I just take them into that there london and then claim on the insurance.
They normally gone in 60 seconds.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:32 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: A quick poll: How long did it take you to sell your used Reply with quote

NewBiker1990 wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks,

Mark

Quickest 2 days, longest 2 weeks.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:26 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Kawasaki AR50 was advertised in the paper, this was back in 2007 mind you. I initially bought it from my sister, so I suppose she didn't really advertise it as such, just was assumed that after she had it I would, and I dutifully paid the asking price. Which incidentally was the same price that had been paid by her a few year earlier to our eldest sister. So between them there wouldn't have really been any advertising time either. But do you want to know the time between first discussing selling it, and actually transferring the title?

Anyway, I, being the youngest of three, each separated by three years, advertised the bike in the paper once I had reached an age where I could progress onto a 125. Thinking back though, it probably wasn't me, but rather my dad who took out the advert. He would also have been advertising it by word of mouth to his friends in the VMCC. Being that it was about a decade ago the details are sketchy, but a man came round with what I assume was his son (then again, you know what they say about assuming things), but anyway close enough to this young man that he was to purchase the bike for him. It could have been a family friend, uncle, grandfather, or just a mechanic who he had paid I suppose.

After looking over the bike, and confirming that it was indeed the bike advertised (a Kawasaki AR50-C10 in red with a micron exhaust, but the stock exhaust to come with it), he inspected it quite thoroughly for damage and defects. He found a few bits and pieces where the bike wasn't in its best condition, having been subjected to three inexperienced teenage riders, and the wear and tear that could be expected from such a life. He and the young man sat on the bike, checked all the paperwork, and then proceeded to ask for the key. Of course they wanted to hear it start and run, which is sensible when going to view a motorbike (or any other motor vehicle) that you are interested in purchasing. The sound, smell, smoke, can all be indicators of potential issues, so I politely handed over the keys, and instructed that it was a kick-start 2-stroke engine.

Unfortunately, it took them some time to start, which had been a problem for some time. I'm not hugely mechanically minded, but I have since been advised that if the engine seals start to fail on 2-stroke engines, this can detrimentally affect starting and running. As the motorbike was to be daily transport for this young man, as it had been for me and my sisters, the man (father, uncle, grandfather or whatever he was), was adamant that it was to be impeccably reliable. Some scratches and visual damage weren't considered a deal breaker, but not starting first or second kick, or running smoothly was.

Thus it transpired that I never actually sold that bike, and as my sig attests, I sill own it, and am currently in the process of replacing the engine seals. Now if I do come to sell it finally, though I haven't been advertising it constantly, it should have been a while over a decade. Whether or not this information is of any use to you.. well I suspect not.

As for my Suzuki GP125, it was advertised and sold online, but that is a story for another day. [/tefmode]

Last edited by pudder on 16:28 - 17 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less time than it took me to walk to the corner shop and back, on Ebay.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it this way, it is likely that most people will sell a motorcycle quicker than it will take to read pudders splurge.

Rolling Eyes

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, even Tef has a sock these days

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:59 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less than 12 parsecs.

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 days for the only bike I ever sold.

Made 50% profit Laughing

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sold mine for £700 over the asking price, I've sent him the difference back by western union but it's been a week and the shipping agent still hasn't collected it!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamsin wrote:
3 days for the only bike I ever sold.

Made 50% profit Laughing

Not bad Razz I sort of doubled my money on the MT-03, £750 buying the salvage and fixing it up, sold for £1500. As I got paid out (nearly) a grand more than I had originally paid for the bike it was basically free* Thumbs Up

*probably down overall with the fooked spine though

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted a quick sale... I could easily have doubled my money if I had a bit longer to sell...

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long is a piece of string?
The speed of a sale is 100% price dependent.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:41 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less time than it takes to read one of Teff's posts.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never more than 2wks after the ad came out in the paper. It took me about 3wks to sell a car once though, as there were lots of the same type for sale at the same time, and convertible buyers seem to be the worst time wasters I've ever known.

Maybe it's because nobody actually needs a convertible?
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1