Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

rattle/tappy noise from the engine

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: rattle/tappy noise from the engine Reply with quote

Today my Thundercat developed a noise whilst the engine is running. like a frantic tapping. It goes almost entirely when i pull the clutch in.
Ive read about 'clutch rattle' but what exactly is that on these bikes and how bad is it? Can it be fixed at all?
It wasnt doing it at all yesterday or this morning.. its fairly fking loud as i can hear it with earplugs in when stopped at the lights. I also have a loud exhaust and i can hear it over that too. Otherwise the bike runs fine.. it did feel a wee down on response but it was good n hot today.

The bike is my daily ride and i spend an hour each way on the motorway so it needs to be ultimately reliable. It gets regular oil + filter changes etc

If its not one bike its the other Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUiuO69Z_qw&feature=youtu.be

video.

Yes, i know the clutch is on the right but i could hear it better on the left as the exhaust wasnt drowning it out

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe check the manifold gaskets? I'm at a restaurant right now listening on my phone but I couldn't hear a difference with the clutch in or out.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:01 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me either... If I had to say it was something...it'd be the headers. I've seen 3 thunder ATS, mine included which sounded tappy and was gaskets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

drbaig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:20 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't tell.

I concur the two above. Ticking on mine was caused by leaky headers. Gaskets were fubar.

Exhaust studs are a bastard though. Two of mine snapped.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

just checked the header nuts and they're all good n tight. checked the plugs and they are tight too. I've had a blow from a header gasket before and it sounded different.. i might change them this weekend just to rule it out but i dont think its that.. why would the clutch affect headers blowing?

(there is definitely a difference on the vid with the clutch in. the sound is less..hollow... when the clutch is in.. it is subtle on the vid but glaringly obvious to me)

I cant say i've ever noticed that sound before and ive done a fair few miles on it. It has just about to tick over 42k

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

drbaig wrote:
Can't tell.

I concur the two above. Ticking on mine was caused by leaky headers. Gaskets were fubar.

Exhaust studs are a bastard though. Two of mine snapped.

I've done mine already. they were tight but none snapped Smile and then fitted longer nuts so that the entire thread is covered

I have them ordered to rule it out.. damnit these bikes are costing a bomb to keep running

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "fingers" on the clutch basket could be worn, that would make it rattle more loudly than usual.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:26 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

righty ho: It gets louder as the engine warms up.. i couldn't hear it this morning when i set off but once i got to work the problem was there.

weirdly, there may possibly be two issues here and this noise is nothing to worry about.. about 10 mins in (as im joining the m4 from swindon) i give it some beans and it starts to surge Sad cue a very hairy moment or two joining the motorway.. then it took off like a scalded cat

i cruised around 80 in top gear and then it started doing it again, losing ALL power. i coasted onto the shoulder with the throttle open to try keep it running.. once i'd slow down to around 50mph i could keep it at a steady throttle and it worked again Confused Confused Then.. like magic, it worked fantastically all the way to work and sounded crisp and felt responsive.
WTF is going on?

My thoughts are:

Bad fuel.. i fill up almost every day
Bad fuel pump..i dont hear the clicky retarded dolphin noise any more

Ayup_Mi-Duck
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:44 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:

I know this might be bollocks and im just wasting your time, BUT, I had an old bug (the carb being the key here) and the heat from the weather and engine etc was boiling the fuel in my carbs. it also was making a mad ticking noise. could it be an air flow or cooling issue?

as I say. sorry if its of no use.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your clutch isn't ticking... it's Rumbling and can definitely be heard in the video (maybe not on mobile phone speakers tho Thinking ).

But yes, thoughts, have you changed the oil lately?
When I put my commuter cbr 600 on the track and put some 'proper oil' in it the clutch instantly started 'rumbling' like that. Deff had more bite and overall was not actually a problem.

Does the clutch slip at peak power at all (giving all the berries through to the redline)?

Carb problems seem more important either way Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
Your clutch isn't ticking... it's Rumbling and can definitely be heard in the video (maybe not on mobile phone speakers tho Thinking ).

But yes, thoughts, have you changed the oil lately?
When I put my commuter cbr 600 on the track and put some 'proper oil' in it the clutch instantly started 'rumbling' like that. Deff had more bite and overall was not actually a problem.

Does the clutch slip at peak power at all (giving all the berries through to the redline)?

Carb problems seem more important either way Rolling Eyes

Thumbs Up glad its not just me Laughing had a mate listen to it today and he couldnt hear it until i told him to listen for a minute or so whilst i pulled and released the clutch. It is a rumble, as you say.

Oil was changed a few thousand miles ago for semi synth Triple QX. Not amazing oil but then again i've never put fancy oils through my bikes. Middle of the range oil more frequently with new filters every time seems to work for me.

No clutch slip, as least not as far as i've every noticed.

Fuelling: i seem to have a slight kink in the pipe from the fuel filter to the fuel pump.. it must have been like that for some time so am going to straighten it out during lunch break and see if that helps on the way home Thumbs Up

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayup_Mi-Duck wrote:
pompousporcupine wrote:

I know this might be bollocks and im just wasting your time, BUT, I had an old bug (the carb being the key here) and the heat from the weather and engine etc was boiling the fuel in my carbs. it also was making a mad ticking noise. could it be an air flow or cooling issue?

as I say. sorry if its of no use.

Its never been an issue before. Also at the speed i do the coolant temp never gets anywhere near 80deg.. there is also lots of airflow around the bowls so i doubt its that Thumbs Up

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was crease in the fuel pipe from the filter to the pump which isn't obvious until the tank was off. It must have been like that for months now but only become a problem now potentially as the hose deteriorated with heat etc. Straightened it out and it didn't miss a beat on the way home
Still makes the rumbly noise but I can live with that for now Smile

Thanks for the help all
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 273 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1