BCF: Bike Chat Forums

WD40 vs ....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Paul2129
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:37 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: WD40 vs .... Reply with quote

Perhaps an age old topic, however, please only comment if you've actually tried WD's competition, and for the purpose I'm using it Smile

Many years ago my brother had a jet ski, it's engine bay was new, and due to its use, regularly got river water inside. He always cleaned it, and soaked it in WD40.... it always looked mint, and there was never corrosion

I want to apply the same philosophy to my motorbikes. I've tried ACF50, GT85, and various supermarket own-brand spray oils.

What I need is something I can spray on a freshly washed bike, on a lot of the metal parts, engine (some) exhaust parts, swing arm etc. (obviously avoiding braking components) to keep the water off, and provide some level of protection from the elements during my next commuting ride

I often use gentle degreasers, and a jet spray (aimed carefully) to remove whatever the weather has thrown at me, after the ride. Seems an effective and fast way.

I know from previous bikes, that if I don't add some form of protective spray, that metal goes dry and eventually corrosion starts, sometimes hard to spot in the perpetual dark of winter.

I've found some sprays just dry out instantly (supermarket cheapie) as it seems does GT85, ACF50 is good, but even that dries out with some wind, rain, and sun.... and it ain't cheap

Your comments would be most appreciated

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try FS365 by scottoiler.

once it evaporates, it leaves a fine layer of oil on the bike to give it some corrosion protection.

I've used it a few times in the winter and seems to work well.

ಠ_ಠ

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:43 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate polishes his car with WD40 but hes the one person I have ever heard of doing such a thing.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:49 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not ideal for that. ACF50 is supposed to be the best for corrosion prevention.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use ACF in winter when the salt is down, and WD40 in summer, mostly just to give engine and frame a bit of a shine. I don't use one application of ACF and then forget until spring, but probably wash and reapply 3 or 4 times through the winter, depending on how much use the bike gets (I don't have to commute all year round fortunately - bike is a toy, albeit one that is very important to me).
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Paul2129
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:20 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's agreed that acf50 is a cracking product for certain areas, I spray it onto engine crash bars, luggage rails, and rub it it into bits I can 'get hold of' but for that fine mist of protection, that's what the question is about..... aCF50 is too thick for that (I've a manual sprayer, not aerosol ACF50)

I think I have OCD where corrosion is concerned, I'm terrified of the stuff Sad

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:32 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst rarely discussed in the various motorbike forums, Dynax UC is an excellent protector. You really need to read up on how best to use it to make sure it's what you want but it will certainly prevent corrosion. Not too expensive either. I tend to use it for long term protection on classic bikes which sit around much of the year.

For regular winter protection on bikes used on salty roads I find FS365 ok, but expensive due to re-applying after washing the salt off each time.

I also use ACF50 but not too keen on how the bike looks once dirty, plus it can take a bit of shifting to remove in the Spring.

Nothing wrong with WD40 - I kind of see it as a quick fix and it's easy to apply. If it's cheaper, I'll get GT85 and find it similar. I also have other silicone sprays which I use from time to time.

Overall, riding on salty roads is a killer and best avoided. Any other conditions are fine if you regularly wash the bike and at least apply "something". Anyway, if rust does develop then get some Dinitrol RC30 to fix it.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:54 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://f2mcltd.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/winter-salt-protection-acf50-fs365-or.html
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been said and recommend on here to me before, WD40 is most efficacious for cleaning the very stubborn shite wot builds up on the rear wheel.
Spray it on a rag and wipe on the wheel rather than trying to spray the wheel.

Last edited by recman on 23:04 - 18 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensi5446 wrote:
My mate polishes his car with WD40 but hes the one person I have ever heard of doing such a thing.

Yeah I can't even.
https://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/170713233732-eel-car-accident-oregon-exlarge-169.jpg

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to post about this but i will just hijack yours....

I started doing work on my Bandit at the weekend, granted its ancient (P reg) but underneath of the seat/ behind fairings etc it's crusty with surface rust, throttle cable guides...everything!?

Im guessing my shed must be damp. I did spray ACF earlier on the year an i never wash my bike but guessed the ACF was still on, but i guess its not....

Mudshark
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:49 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

experience from the world of cycling

WD40 can and will get into sealed bearings etc. and eventually dry them out, which is not good.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACF is the superior product, but can be hard to get into everywhere as in my experience it doesn't mist, it just squirts. The FS365 mists nicely so can be sprayed into hard to reach places. It does wash off easier though, so has to be applied regularly.

All of this is no substitute for a warm and dry garage though IME

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:03 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
ACF is the superior product, but can be hard to get into everywhere as in my experience it doesn't mist, it just squirts. The FS365 mists nicely so can be sprayed into hard to reach places. It does wash off easier though, so has to be applied regularly.

All of this is no substitute for a warm and dry garage though IME

A warm dry garage won't help if you're riding in winter salt conditions and fail to use corrosion protection.
I used to use just WD40 after a wash when the bike was used all year round, kept outside under a cover, and had no corrosion problems. I do agree that ACF is better though. Never used it as a spray, but am just as thorough as i can possibly be with wiping on with a rag (till my fingers bleed reaching into every little crook and granny; the Fazer always demands a small blood sacrifice when cleaning).
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

oil, my bike is coated in oil. It's everywhere. It's never cleaned. Not a spot of corrosion on anything except the exhaust and that's because the oil burns off.

There is a thick layer of grime now coating the bike which acts like a barrier keeping everything corrosion free.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy that does my bike with ACF50 has mentioned that he can also do XCP which is a little more expensive but supposed to be better. Might try it out this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwYeC2Lwzz0

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul2129 wrote:
for that fine mist of protection, that's what the question is about..... aCF50 is too thick for that (I've a manual sprayer, not aerosol ACF50)

I've got the aerosol ACF50 and it still squirts in globs. Think Lama.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:10 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
The guy that does my bike with ACF50 has mentioned that he can also do XCP which is a little more expensive but supposed to be better. Might try it out this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwYeC2Lwzz0

I've tried some of this stuff, if you buy it get the spray can as it has a propellant so unlike ACF you can spray it as a fine mist (it smells absolutely horrible though) you can also get the cheap lance attachment to go right through the frame and motor. The spray bottle can't mist the stuff well so you'd need a compressor similar to ACF50

I did see this however https://f2mcltd.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/xcp-rust-blocker-v-acf50-testing-and.html so it may not actually be better although All year biker and Honda's racing team (according to their site) use the stuff.

It's a lot tackier than ACF50 so you get a noticeable more amount of dirt stick to your bike. But it sticks for a while and is pretty visible depending on how much you apply.

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACF-50 + the cheapest spray gun on Ebay that looked even half decent and a cheap, used compressor (Ebay again £30) = win Thumbs Up
Handy for a quick dusting after a winter wash too, and you use much less of it.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_oso wrote:
oil, my bike is coated in oil. It's everywhere. It's never cleaned. Not a spot of corrosion on anything except the exhaust and that's because the oil burns off.

There is a thick layer of grime now coating the bike which acts like a barrier keeping everything corrosion free.

An old friend of mine had a Jawa 350 twin that he never ever washed but kept in good mechanical order.
He had it for years and when he washed ready for sale, it was really in good condition under all that oily gunk.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1