Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Looking to buy 25 y/o bike, worried electrics are knackered.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

alex965
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:59 - 17 Jul 2017    Post subject: Looking to buy 25 y/o bike, worried electrics are knackered. Reply with quote

Hi all,

Went to see a 1992 42k miles XV750 earlier. Mechanically it seemed fine, but both left hand indicators were flashing really quickly (as was the left hand dash indicator light) and I saw two black wires hanging in front of the engine - they looked like they had been crimped and they were sealed off with electrical tape.

I would be using the bike for work and have no other transport so I'm really worried the electrics on the bike might make it less than reliable.

Has anyone got any advice regarding checking the bike before buying etc.?

Thanks

uberkron
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 05:24 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check that it doesn't have 10 watt bulbs instead of 21 watt.
Have seen this before, and if they didn't care to fit a 2 dollar bulb correctly I'd avoid this one.
Also the "extra wires sealed with tape" could be hiding a wiring repair or bypassed side stand switch.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 07:32 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's only transport...then buy the best bike you can afford. I'm fed up of electrical issues so bought something low miles, near mint etc. Depends on budget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my limited experience, the wiring that gets fucked about with most are for indicators & lights.

Indicators - someone has replaced the standards ones with leds then found they are flashing their tits off like they are are on 5g of magic.. so then cut into the wiring to add resistors etc oh then cover everything in electrical tape

lights - normally because rider was going touring an needed a ciggy lighter to charge their phone an "scotchlocked" cables into headlight wiring grrr
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha - check
Cruiser - check
Old - check

Yeah it's going to be rotten.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like aftermarket (cheap) indicators have been used which have a lower impedence and will often flash faster. This is what happened to my 1978 CB400. £3 variable flasher relay should sort it

alex965
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:10 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
sounds like aftermarket (cheap) indicators have been used which have a lower impedence and will often flash faster. This is what happened to my 1978 CB400. £3 variable flasher relay should sort it

Now I think about it - I remember the front left indicator had been replaced with a similar looking, but obviously different, unit. Could that be the issue? To my knowledge, the indicators aren't LED.

Cheers.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:38 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those faults wouldn't worry me if everything else is ok.

Indicators running fast. Wrong or blown bulb, easy fix.

Two wires cut. Probably side stand bypassed. Start bike on centre stand, put in gear and put down side stand to see if it cuts out. Fix if required.

If bike is solid Thumbs Up

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you love the bike and also need it to be reliable then, just budget £100-200 for someone to go all over the loom checking, cleaning, greasing and replacing connector blocks and terminals and things. You can cover alot of exposed connectors with heat shrink tubing, and cover connector blocks with silicone sealant etc.

I took ages and fucked about finding and sorting out an electrical issue on my bike, but if I couldn't have fixed it I'd have had no problem deciding to buy a new loom or have one made if needed. Electrics can be a bastard to sort and fix, so if I needed a bike to be reliable, I'd just save up for a couple of months and get someone to rewire the bike to make it usable and dependable.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex965 wrote:
To my knowledge, the indicators aren't LED.
They don't have to be LED. Mine were cheapo ones with bulbs. The variable flasher relay should be plug and play, but worst case scenario it's a couple of solders and some heat shrink tubes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1