Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Bike Choices

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

no8080
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:36 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: New Bike Choices Reply with quote

Hi All,

I wanted some advice, but some history on me first,

I pasted my A license just over 3 years ago, I went out and bought a 93 fireblade which I restored and drive almost daily, mostly commuting. (I know, typical first time rider buying a sports bike)

I bought a harley night rod 2 years ago, from new.

I recently picked up a R1 SP to restore.

My questions, or rather my thoughts, although I love riding my fireblade, I am thinking of changing it, as I find I prefer riding my night rod, I might be getting a bit old for a sports bike, and anyway, my R1 will be back ready for riding soon. It sort of over shadows my fireblade. I don't want to put massive miles on my harley, and also, it is no good for filtering, too wide.

So I am of thinking of swapping my fireblade, but I have no idea what for. Buying another bike and keeping the blade is out of the question, no way I will get that one past my other halve, 3 bikes is pushing it already.

I have no idea what I should be looking for, so I want some opinions, I want something I will be putting miles on, to use most days. So a top box or other luggage is a must, but saying that, I have a massive top box on my blade anyway. It needs to be narrow, to filter, which I do a lot. As for comfort, well that is not much of a consideration, my harley has rock hard suspension, the blade is a sports sitting position.

I really like the look of the triumph thruxton, maybe a ducatti monster, either way, the bike has to be quick, I do mean quick, my harley is fast, faster in a drag race than most sports bikes, so don't think it is slow. Especially since I fitted the stage 1 upgrades. Very Happy

As to my riding skills, I recently past my IAM advance rider, and unless I am up against a skilled sports bike rider on a 1000cc+ machine I leave them behind on my harley, grinding the pegs as I go. So a new bike has to handle well.

So, erm to sum it up, something that handles like a sports bike, is a rocket off the line, but a more relaxed upright sitting position, ideally with a screen/fairing, as hitting high speed on a harley without a screen means the wind is always trying to throw you off. Oh, and top speed, must be 150mph+, not saying I do that though. I am thinking of a new, or nearly new bike.

I don't fit convention stereotypical biker roles, I wear jeans with a touring jacket and full face helmet on my harley, which gets me odd looks, but it is practical. I don't own leathers for use on my sports bike either. So bike suggestions that stand out, maybe don't fit the normal mold are welcome, for example, I love the acid green triumph street bikes from a few years ago, only because of the loud colour

Thanks for reading my long post, and for any suggestions,

Neil

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:16 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki gsxs 1000 Thumbs Up

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:24 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

blacked out street triple (or is it speed triple? the 1050) might fit your books?

(was gonna say Ducati monster too)

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Chickenstrip would be along to advise, but your requirements sound very Fazer 1000'ish with some suspension upgrade/setting up.

The half faired version of the Suzuki GSXS and the Z1000 also sound like good possibilities.

At a much higher budget that BMW S1000XR thingy, or an Aprilia V4 tuono might suit you.

How about the Triumph tiger 1050 Sport too? This to me sounds like a more interesting option than any of the above, and looks better too IMO.

Lastly if you like your Harley's engine and performance, have you thought about a good secondhand Buell?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

no8080
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:37 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,

Thumbs Up for the gsxs1000F, and the speed triple R.

They will make my short list.

I am not a fan of BMW bikes, to blend in for me. I don't like their cars either.

It needs to be reliable, so that sort of discounts an aprilla, Smile Shame, as they look great.

Going to google the tiger sports now, never heard of a Buell, so will google that as well.

Neil

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MT09 Tracer certainly fits some of your requirements!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

XJR1300. I just like the look of them Smile

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why must it be narrow to filter? What's wrong with a 1200gs adventure with silly alanminimum panniers? I never worried about 'my' space. And it was comfortable. (2010 model, pre headshake).
Maybe you should follow a courier through that there London and see what a gap really is.
Oh, a z1000sx(with panniers)or cb1000r (givi rack and box) would tick the box.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:56 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MT10, and looks and wind protection be damned.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

BrownTrousers
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:00 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed Triple seems to suit your requirements and is my top recommendation partly because i wants one.

Z1000 might be a good shout - similar idea as the Speed Triple but more 'divisive' styling and louder colours available!

Be a shame to put a top box on either though.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:07 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrownTrousers wrote:
Speed Triple seems to suit your requirements and is my top recommendation partly because i wants one.

Z1000 might be a good shout - similar idea as the Speed Triple but more 'divisive' styling and louder colours available!

Be a shame to put a top box on either though.

Always a shame to put a top box on any bike, but needs must I suppose. Actually, can you fit a top box to an MT10? Thinking
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:10 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will adapt your filtering style for a wider bike. Wider bikes tend to have tighter turning circles which means you can do 90 degree turns through traffic easier.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:35 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

no8080 wrote:
OK,

Thumbs Up for the gsxs1000F, and the speed triple R.

They will make my short list.

I am not a fan of BMW bikes, to blend in for me. I don't like their cars either.

It needs to be reliable, so that sort of discounts an aprilla, Smile Shame, as they look great.

Going to google the tiger sports now, never heard of a Buell, so will google that as well.

Neil

Buell is a very Marmite bike. My brother-in-law had an 1125. Went and handled well but there was something about it I disliked but couldn't put my finger on it. Bro-in-law adored it. Also they were closed down around 2010 so the youngest bike is going to be getting on for 7 years old.

I'm a Triumph fan and would love a new Speed Triple. 140 bhp is down on some of the big bruisers (MT10 160+?) but way way enough for me nowadays. My Trophy is only 125 and weighs twice as much Laughing

no8080
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:42 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my point on filtering is not clear,

I don't need a narrow bike because I can't filter, I can. The issue is I filter through gaps that my blade just fits through, I mean just.

My harley has no chance of getting through the same size gaps.

I commute a lot on the M6, which is in constant road works, which means narrow lanes, then stationary traffic which is tight together, I don't like waiting so I filter. I also commute through birmingham/manchester at rush hour, so worming through and around traffic is a must.

I prefer a narrow bike, so it does not stick out further than me, mirrors for example, as they are the same height as most car mirrors. can't stick out. So no cruiser width sized bikes.

Top box is better than panniers for me, as unless they were thin panniers I would not make it through gaps I take, well I would make it through, but would take car mirrors and paint with me.

For example, try fitting past a HGV in the middle lane of a narrow road works section of motorway, with a long wheel based van on the outside lane.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Neil

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the shitty M6 well around Birmingham, as well as the M5 carpark that leads to it.

From what I've seen of Buell sports versions, they look as narrow as you can get for a sportsbike. I doubt they are any wider than something like an Aprilia RS125? I've not seen one with a top box, but it must be possible.

no8080
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:56 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I know the shitty M6 well around Birmingham, as well as the M5 carpark that leads to it.

From what I've seen of Buell sports versions, they look as narrow as you can get for a sportsbike. I doubt they are any wider than something like an Aprilia RS125? I've not seen one with a top box, but it must be possible.

Universal top box mounts are the way to do this, as my blade has no specific top box fitment.

I used a rentec sports rack, and made a top box fit.

I want something newer, as I am thinking of PCP it, so cheap monthly payments, so that means no mods either really.

I like the idea of a honda cb1000r too and the kawa Z1000, I have never heard of a naked supersports bike category before.

Neil

no8080
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:05 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add my reasoning for luggage, I commute to work daily, with a top box full and my backpack, getting a shower in work.

I often use my bike to go away for work,

so for me, I carry a mammoth chain and padlock, disc lock, screen wipes, clothes for the day, water proof bike cover, 2 laptops for the day.

Then I use my top box to put my helmet in for the day.

So space to fit all this is needed.

Also, I am tall, with long legs, so a small bike is no good, for example I can not fit on a GSXR600, or a triumph 675.

The 675 was an awesome bike, rode my brothers, but way too small for me, my elbows kept hitting my knees.

Neil

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just picked up an Aprilia Falco, that or the more expensive Tuano for the upright riding psition. Slim as an anorexic, goes like stink as standard, can be hopped up cheaply well into brown undercracker territory. Ear plugs mandatory, especially after the watch like smooth 'blade. I'm in the same boat, do I sell the 'blade? No, I never will, I've put too much into it, but the Falco has certainly reawakened my interest.

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:11 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:
XJR1300. I just like the look of them Smile

Yeah they look so cool. I just got myself an R1200R, I love the big engine naked look.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Polarbear"]
no8080 wrote:
Also they were closed down around 2010 so the youngest bike is going to be getting on for 7 years old.

They started up again, independent of Harley (Going as EBR, not Buell, but have very recently shut down again), so you can get one newer than that. Niche bikes, sadly, but very good indeed. Really wanted a go on the new ones.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:43 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got an IL4, what do you want another for?

You mentioned Ducati Monster... the 1200 is pretty quick but have you considered a Hypermotard ? Ok, new ones 'only' have 110hp but that should be enough sitting upright and they do touring stuff for it. Certainly looks different...

No ridden one but what about the Tuono?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna do what most people do and recommend my own bike. KTM 990 SMT.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:32 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: New Bike Choices Reply with quote

no8080 wrote:
Hi All,

I wanted some advice, but some history on me first,

I pasted my A license just over 3 years ago, I went out and bought a 93 fireblade.

I bought a harley night rod 2 years ago, from new.

I recently picked up a R1 SP to restore.

My questions, or rather my thoughts, although I love riding my fireblade, I am thinking of changing it, as I find I prefer riding my night rod, my R1 will be back ready for riding soon. It sort of over shadows my fireblade.

So I am of thinking of swapping my fireblade, but I have no idea what for. Buying another bike and keeping the blade is out of the question, no way I will get that one past my other halve, 3 bikes is pushing it already.

either way, the bike has to be quick, I do mean quick, my harley is fast, faster in a drag race than most sports bikes, so don't think it is slow. Especially since I fitted the stage 1 upgrades. Very Happy

As to my riding skills, I recently past my IAM advance rider, and unless I am up against a skilled sports bike rider on a 1000cc+ machine I leave them behind on my harley, grinding the pegs as I go. So a new bike has to handle well.

, something that handles like a sports bike, is a rocket off the line,. Oh, and top speed, must be 150mph+, I am thinking of a new, or nearly new bike.

I don't fit convention stereotypical biker roles
Neil

Wow, you must be Superman in disguise!
I love how you tell us all how good and a fast rider you are, I'm very impressed Thumbs Up
A Fireblade, R1, and a Harley, wow!
I'm surprised you need our advice?

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 18 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: New Bike Choices Reply with quote

no8080 wrote:
Hi All,

I pasted my A license

and unless I am up against a skilled sports bike rider on a 1000cc+ machine I leave them behind on my harley, grinding the pegs as I go. So a new bike has to handle well.

Neil

what did you paste your license to?

as for the other thing thats just comedy gold
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2