BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Outgrown first bike really quickly

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:28 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 600 divvy was dull from the minute it came out of the factory.

Of course, some people WANT a dull, reliable bike.

That said, my usual reply to people who say they are finding their first bike dull is to ask if they have the throttle open all the way.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:51 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Clearly never had to suffer a 400 Superdream Laughing
Or a GS850G.

https://www.gaastra.cc/klassieke%20motorplaatjes/Suzuki%20GS850-1979.jpg

Completely off topic; but when I was at high-school, we had a very wizened old tortoise of a woodwork teacher; he drove a rather old Mini Traveler (you remember the estate car version, with the feaux 'woody' back?) and should have retired five years before, but no-one had the heart to tell him to stop coming to work! His successor was a young chap straight out of teacher-training school, who rode one of them, and thought that and his leather jacket would make him seem 'cool' to us.... I recall a conversation about 'bikes' he was party to, in which he offered ridicule of an ER50, and that we'd know what he meant when we'd tried something with an engine over 350cc, and that HIS bike had an engine as big as Swinnies Mini!

I am slightly embarrassed by the retort I offered that it also had a shaft drive like Swinnes mini, and for how much it weighed might as well have been Swinnies mini.. at least he could cart his tool shed about with him, in that! (He wasn't particularly enamored when his ultimate rebuke to a 14 year old, "So what do YOU ride then?" was answered by "XT500" lol)

Old GS 850's make useful trikes I believe...... think I'd still prefer the Mini Traveler, though.......

On topic, though, its a bit of a skew argument; I'd suffer a 400N..... and I'd find the 'fun' I could have with it.. crikey, found some fun in the 250 Lardy-Dreams, and HAVE fun with 125 Pooper-Dreams!

Some-one once asked why I didn't 'commute' on my Cota trails bike.... That's a lot of fun to ride.... where mountain goats fear to tread... I cant nightmare how painful it would have been trying to commute 25 miles a day on... without some-where to 'sit' though! (Let alone it being want to nip up if asked to sustain more than 30 for the length of a field!) Wouldn't imagine there to be much fun trying to wrestle a GL1000 through a trials section, either! Though was quite 'fun' riding the VF-Tho out of a water-logged, hill-side rally field, over tractor ruts, fully loaded, 'feet-up' in the face of folk trying to wrestle adventure sports out the mud and hand-cart luggage to the farm drive to load'em..... but probably not at the time!!! Bit of a laugh when back o hard-standing... rather arse twitching during the act, ISTR!!

B-U-T... all something of a detraction.

CB400N may, as bikes go be pretty much as dull as ditch-water, and as un-aspirational a motorcycle as you can imagine.. but, with the right approach and attitude, not expecting the bike to serve the fun for you.. if that was what I had? The places it could take me; the things I could see, the things I could do 'with' rather than on it?

Wouldn't be any less 'fun' loading one up with camping kit, for a week's adventure; wouldn't be much less fun riding one round wales or the highlands... and compared to many probably more so.

'Fun' of riding the thing, is minimal, compared to the 'fun' of where you go, who you are with, who you meet, what you see, what 'else' you get up to along the adventure.

Weekend in Derbyshire, with daughter on bunny, and Snowie on bludi-guzzi, while back; Daghter beating me on the bonce trying to tell me to go where her smart-phone told her we should, to get chips, and find a closed down chinky in the middle of no-where; Snowie, stopping at the bottom of a hill, insisting she wasn't riding up THERE.. and didn't care what daughter's smart-phone said was at the top!

Log fire in the 'local' with the 'Pub-Grub' sign outside, wouldn't have been any more welcoming, if we'd turned up on Pans or peds! And they'd have still told us they hadn't had a chef for five years and had been meaning to take the sign down!

When touring the bike, is such an even smaller part of the 'whole', and the riding of it, such a small bit of the 'fun' that might be had.

There's a certain amount of horses for courses, to avoid major pains in the arse shortcomings; but even there, there's a certain opportunity in the margins for finding the 'fun' of trials riding a fully loaded 1/4 ton tourer or scratching one in the twisties....

I mean.. I do mechanics 'for fun'.. renovating a hunk of thirty year old scrap is quite a challenge and a lot of fun..... challenge of fixing a bike that's lost it's clutch at the side of the road... more challenging.... and there's some 'fun' jury rigging it to get home.. probably not where I'd like to find 'fun', but all in how you view the situation; I wouldn't set out hoping to break down for that kind of 'fun'.. but it's something that can happen; its something that can 'add' experience to your journey, and there is FUN in dealing with it...

If I wanted 'easy' FFS I'd book a package holiday in Turkey, sit on the beach all week and get bussed to the ruins when I got bored! Sod the inconvenience of a bike in British weather even!

Just for 'fun', where the only fun IS in the riding; sod the speed-limits and SMIDSY's on the public road! I'll take the trails bike to a quarry n Derbyshire! And STILL, the bike don't matter that much! Hoofing a modern mono-shock, flyweight plastic fantastic over the sections may be a darn site easier than tackling the same on my old 1981 dinasaur... doesn't make it any more 'fun'....

Its ALL in the approach, and aspiration, NOT the bike.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:47 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
2581 words

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tef, out on interest, what is your current Word per Minute speed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:22 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, if you took my Fazer away and replaced it with an XJ600 Divvy, I'd be bored to death within a week. I had to put up with a GS500 for a week or two, and it was so. Dull as ditchwater. Bored to tears. Even tried it on the twisties, and still didn't wake up. And yes, the throttle was open to the stop everywhere. I was still me. The only difference was the bike I was riding. I have taken the Fazer on tours of several thousand miles, and I love every minute of riding that bike. If you told me I had to do it on such a replacement, I'd give up touring. Please explain to me why this is so (in concise terms, if you'd be so kind!).
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:15 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Mike, if you took my Fazer away and replaced it with an XJ600 Divvy, I'd be bored to death within a week.

So would I, and just about everyone else outside of a learner biker.

I might ride a slow as heck Enfield that's dynamically pretty appalling, but one thing it's not is boring. A Divvy is a boring bike. A seriously boring bike.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havnt read everyones bollocks/whole thread,

But the thing that seems to be antagonising the OP is that he thinks he and the 100's before/after him have been fed shitty advice by the BCF gen pop. He seems to have some anger towards BCF for his current position, and the fact that we were nasty and cruel to him by telling him to buy the wrong bike.

Seems like a bit of a sensitive petal too, so wants someone to rant at/blame.

All I'm going to say is that everyone gets familiar with their bike and how it rides, and wonders if the grass is greener else where. Human nature, as is the magpie syndrome and new/in thing that makes people fed up/want more or different, and have jealousy to others that have it.

So many times when I was young and stupid, did I do the childish not listening tantrum thing, and convince myself that there was only one model of bike that I ever wanted, and I could do anything on it, and it would be perfect in every way etc. It was often hard to find old unsuitable and knackered bikes like RD500's that were the only thing that could ever satisfy, and then I'd modify them to make them perfect.

What a load of bollocks that was!

OP sounds bored/not sure how to get more fun/satisfaction out of riding bikes, and thinks a different bike will be the ultimate answer. Many people think a new bike can cure everything from, lack of confidence/not keeping up with mates/ poor handling or running wide in bends or not being able to filter or Park or wheelie etc etc. Its just like thinking a sexy hot week in the tropics will cure a failing marriage etc.

OP buy a different bike if you want, your a big boy and can make these decisions can't you. But don't come bitch moaning that it's BCF's fault or your mates or the instructor's fault that your riding what your riding now and don't think it's for you.

Lastly as you might know, you need to know what you want in a bike before you buy or your setting yourself up for more disappointment. For me going automatically for more cc is not more satisfying. I might enjoy a ride on a GSXR 1000 like Paddy's, but when I can get my 125 two stroke to run, it makes me laugh more than most bikes could I would think.

Lastly have you got to the stage where you can see that more than one bike for different purposes is the logical and probably best path, as I guarantee no one bike will do it all well or be your perfect ride. I could have spent 10k+ on a YZR500 Rainey replica, and I bet it would fucking piss me off something stupid most of the time.

Last edited by stevo as b4 on 20:46 - 19 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
as I guarantee no one bike will do it all well or be your perfect ride.

I'm just weird Mr. Green
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, as you've found long term happiness at 1000cc and with a Mr Yamaha's certain specific product.

Im finding fun with 125cc and think it's one capacity of bike that I'll always have to own an example of.

Its the 49cc tuning and restoring fanatics that are the weirdos IMO. Laughing

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
If you are into touring, an adventure bike is a brilliant tool for that. All the mainstream manufacturers have dozens of options for luggage, their own or 3rd party.

An adventure bike can be a surprisingly fast bike on the roads as well. I, for one am a better rider on a 'sit up and beg' bike than a Rossi wannabe. edit - better than I am on a sports bike I mean. Embarassed

It also depends on the kind of touring. I like sport touring. I live in London and to a first approximation, there are no good roads within an hour's riding, not good by the standards of anywhere with mountains or canyons. So when I tour, it's not to camp, it's to have fun on bendy roads, so I compromise on loading flexibility if it gives me a more fun ride.

I intend to ride my Brutale to the Alps and back next month. It'll be interesting to see how it tours. I like the challenge.

I'm currently on a Tiger 800 XRx loaner while my Brutale has its radiator replaced, and my god that bike is dull. It's like driving a car. I started grinding my boot by accident on a roundabout on my commute this morning, a confluence of three factors: you have to lean it right over to get anywhere, the pegs are too low, and you barely even notice when it's leant over. The handlebars are too wide and need too much turning, the engine is too quiet and gentle, the screen removes the sensation of speed, the brakes are too soft, it runs too hot in town (a lot hotter than my Brutale did with a half-empty radiator) - it's just not the right bike for me.

But you might love it, OP. It's got nice luggage options. That's what counts.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pretty much lived out of a pair of GIVI E45 boxes for the last few years. If they're packed tightly I open them carefully or take them off the bike to pack. You'll be fine and this style of contoured boxes fits most modern luggage luggers quite tightly. I have some much smaller E21 toploaders and they've nice and narrow for around town, and a but quicker to pack, but not dramatically so.

SW-motech's quicklock EVO system may be an option for fitting flat-backed luggage, I have a system on my bandit with givi fittings and it's pretty rugged, but wider than a system to fit Givi V35.

Check out the Kappa k33 as a rebadged a cheaper set of V35 boxes, completely compatible with the givi contoured systems.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
Pigeon wrote:

40L Lomo Motorcycle drybag (£15).

Up front is a phone holder made for a mountain bike (£15). Keeps phone/satnav+charger. And easy zip access to passports / tickets.

Do you have any links to these please Smile Karma

https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/motorbike-drybag.html

re: the mountain bike zipable phone holder.
I got a Roswheel one
this one is £15

But this looks the same for half the price:
this one is £7

Check phone dimensions to make sure.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:

But this looks the same for half the price:
this one is £7

Check phone dimensions to make sure.

Thank you mate, How are you attaching this to the bike Smile

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:

It sits on top of the handlebars on my bike. The velcro straps that would normally attach to a pedal bikes frame, instead wrap round the bars.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:17 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:

He uses his meaty manly fingers that have seen many an anal adventure.

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:13 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
Yamaha do a handlebar bag which attaches to the crossbar of the Tracer 700. Not sure if this is the same for the 900.

I have my GPS mounted onto my the crossbar.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

155mph wrote:
Tracer1234 wrote:
Yamaha do a handlebar bag which attaches to the crossbar of the Tracer 700. Not sure if this is the same for the 900.

I have my GPS mounted onto my the crossbar.

Nice, do you have it, if so can you take a picture of how it attaches? Smile

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:02 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hi Tracer,
I don't know if this would do you, but I use one of these. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01402SL86/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a bracket that fastens on to the cross bar and a swivel knob thing to position it. The clear plastic screen still allows you to use the touch screen facility. £9.99 Wink

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Only read thread title]

OP, get something really powerful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_UK wrote:
Quote:

Hi Tracer,
I don't know if this would do you, but I use one of these. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01402SL86/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a bracket that fastens on to the cross bar and a swivel knob thing to position it. The clear plastic screen still allows you to use the touch screen facility. £9.99 Wink

Ta, I pretty much have the exact one but got it from wish.com for free, with 2£ P&P. Quality is slightly better than you would expect, but certainly usable for the mean time.

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:24 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
PM sent. Thread at risk of going off-piste

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bring it back on topic then.
You've outgrown your interest in something. Not the bike. You can luggage that bike as good as anything else. Top loading bins just màke it easier to drop shit in. Normal panniers take 1 min longer. Admit it, to us and yourself, you want a 'cool' adventure looking bike like 'they' all had. I wish I'd had a 'boring' xj6n (not a divvy) available to me when i was first riding a 'big' bike.

tactical_pancake
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:46 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had Givi V35s for years and have used them for touring, camping, staying at gfs, shopping etc. Very practical. Then add a drybag, and possibly a tankbag if necessary, you are all set for RTW lol.

But if you want a different bike just go for it, but just bear in mind they are a bit of a compromise, if you get something amazing for touring it might be crap at something else (like picking it up when you've dropped it in the middle of nowhere). That's why many of us have 2 or more bikes. Smile

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:49 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do folk need so much luggage? Isn't there an element of spare room syndrome? IE, you get a house with more room and next thing you know it's full of crap. Try applying a hierarchy of needs when planning what you're packing. So, something to sleep under (assuming camping), food, clothing, bike maintenance, end.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:04 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Why do folk need so much luggage? Isn't there an element of spare room syndrome? IE, you get a house with more room and next thing you know it's full of crap. Try applying a hierarchy of needs when planning what you're packing. So, something to sleep under (assuming camping), food, clothing, bike maintenance, end.

If you don't have your smoking jacket with you, you are not a gentleman Folded arms

And where do you put the beer Rolling Eyes

You obviously don't have this camping lark well thought out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 248 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3