Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cost of Touring?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:54)
View previous topic : View next topic  

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:39 - 05 Sep 2004    Post subject: Cost of Touring? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Does anybody know how much touring on eurasia costs? Im talking about a bike + basic equipment, first stop channel tunnel, 256th stop Japan...

How much would (say) 6 months cost in living costs?

Ive done my own calculations but was hoping to hear from someone whos done it. Ta.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:03 - 05 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on allot i guess, Fuel is the first, nowhere your likely to come across will cost as much as here, you may need part for the bike, which is nigh on impossible to predict...

Are you going alone?

I would suggest you ask here there will no doubt be a stack of usefull information on there...

Only helpfull tip i can think of is geting your gear from army surplus stores, i have a kit bag whick packs almost EVERYTHING i need to go camping, appart from clothes. also learn how to repair punctures and take a kit with, goes withoutsaying but though i'd just say Very Happy

I know japan is a bit on the pricey side for liveing costs, but i'm sure there are ymcas and whatnot.

This is what i'd do myself, buy an old tourer, overhaul it completely inside out, have it shiped to japan and then ride back ALLWAYS with enough money for a ticket home, then if the bike explodes you can ditch it and go home, if it dosent die you can sell it when you get back Very Happy

I'd love to go real touring one day, maybe i will manage northern europ, america or oz eventually, i badly want to go back to japan though and go rideing with an old friend there Cool

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 05 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a good idea actually - Touring in reverse that is.

Unless I can find someone to go with me id go alone. I reckon (ony my calcs) it will cost £7,500 living costs for 6 months. Add the cost of gear/bike to go on. Ta for the link.

RSixer03
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:40 - 05 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey loply i did the states for 9 months, not much help i know, but if you want any advice send me a pm

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

aqualung1
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:22 - 05 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know there are a few tips on the BMF site as well, but cannot remeber link sorry
have fun
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:51 - 06 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Thumbs Up

Apparently its a good idea to add somehting like 25% for "unexpected" events... makes your trip look quite pricey..

One thing i have read a few times there are places which will buy photographs from travelers, a good photographer can make a fair bit (weather this is still so i cannot say) Defenately invest in a good camera, an older manual camera can be got for nothing, decent zoom lens, filters and other gear not much either (digital is a very different story).

The camera i took to japan was cr*p i regret not forking out some money for a good manual one sooooooooooooo much. so i have very few decent pictures

A gps is going to help immensely at some poin in your journey, a laptop wouldn't go ammiss either!

You might be able to get sponsors? at least it might get you some gear, flashing some stickers might get you a camera or a few thousand miles couldn't hurt anything to try (apart from your pride perhaps Razz)

i'd go in a flash if i was in the situation (rich and single) to do it, maybe one day, i'd pondered doing cad jobs after uni for half a year at a time and spending the next half exploreing Cool

Keep us all posted how you get on, seeing the world over the top of your handlebars must be one of the most amazeing things, i dont want to die wishing i had when i'm too old/poor/tied down.

ratcliffe
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:43 - 06 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to go touring properly, but having a job with only 20 days holiday a year kind of prevents that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 209 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1