Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Piece of plastic from GPS fell from handlebars!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

turningCircle
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:04 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Piece of plastic from GPS fell from handlebars! Reply with quote

I was (attempting) to fix my TomTom to the left handlebar. However, in doing so, a piece of plastic designed to sit between the metal handlebar clasp and the mount fell down into the bike from the handlebar.

Frustratingly, it didn't drop out the bottom so it must be stuck somewhere. I've tried looking everywhere with a torch and cannot find it. Any ideas where it is likely to have got stuck and how to hell I can find it?

It's about 1 inch across, black plastic (makes it more difficult to find). The only places I can see it could have gone are behind the radiator or underneath the fuel tank.

Anyone have any ideas? Sad

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give us half a chance and tell us what bike it is.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:41 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Piece of plastic from GPS fell from handlebars! Reply with quote

turningCircle wrote:
I was (attempting) to fix my TomTom to the left handlebar. However, in doing so, a piece of plastic designed to sit between the metal handlebar clasp and the mount fell down into the bike from the handlebar.

Frustratingly, it didn't drop out the bottom so it must be stuck somewhere. I've tried looking everywhere with a torch and cannot find it. Any ideas where it is likely to have got stuck and how to hell I can find it?

It's about 1 inch across, black plastic (makes it more difficult to find). The only places I can see it could have gone are behind the radiator or underneath the fuel tank.

Anyone have any ideas? Sad

It's one the right hand side by the cluch cover approx 3 inches from where the brake pedal finishes.

turningCircle
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:18 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Give us half a chance and tell us what bike it is.

Kawasaki Versys 650 2017 Smile

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really. You lost a bit of plastic in a bike and you can't find it? Major drama. Get a bit of cardboard or something similar, attach it by some of your mums sewing thread and drop it from the place it came from and look for it. Then when you can't find it just ride it.

OGR

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:14 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried asking on Visordown, Bike Social or any other motorcycle forums?
Maybe search on here for any of the massive who are on Mum's Net too.
We sometimes get good advice from the ladies at mum's net.
(I know... but they are wimin and what would they know? 🤣 )

I lost the little screw from a broken plastic toy I was throwing out one day. (Actually I was pissed drunk and had smoked a spliff so was proper Fvcked up. ) I never found the screw but it was fun searching for it.

👍

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:36 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many hiding places for it. It's probably wedged under the LH side fairing or there's a chance it might be in the belly pan. Your best bet is to un clip the fairing - don't have to remove it all - and if it doesn't fall out you'll at least be able to see inside.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:46 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure it wasn't your keys again?

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:24 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be easier to lay it down on its side to have a look! But we quick as the council may have it away again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick your bike up and shake it.

https://www.agonybooth.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/therunningman1987.0211.jpg

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Ayup_Mi-Duck
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:37 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have an air line, just blast behind the fairing like a mad man.

if you cant find it, go to the shop. get some epoxy, mix a little and build up a repair section in layers (let it cure between layers). you can then file to neaten it up, snap it off again and drop the broken bit into the fairing to see if it knocks the original part out of its hiding place Smile

Ta duck.
x
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 253 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1