BCF: Bike Chat Forums

OnePlus 5

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: OnePlus 5 Reply with quote

I need a new phone, my Nexus 4 is bursting out of its case.

I've been tempted by the OnePlus 5, specs look good for the price but there's a plethora of bad vibes around the device. I'm trying to work out if it's just trolling on forums/reddit or if the phone sucks. From what I can understand OnePlus have terrible customer service, so there's another worry.

Anyone have one? Any views on it?

I'm willing to spend ~ £450 on a new phone but that's it. I'm not prepared to pay Samsung S8 /Google Pixel (limited storage, overpriced) prices for a phone. I'm still using a Nexus 4 ffs... that's a 2012 phone and it's fine. Something a little faster might be nice to make it feel like I'm not just treading water, and I'd like a bit more storage. 16GB is limiting.

So, other phone recommendations? Needs to be Android. I wont entertain Windows / iPhone.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:56 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a OnePlus 3 (dunno what happened to the '4'). I love this phone. It looks good, it works well. I've never needed customer support. From what I can work out, it's very forum-based. If I do need help, I'd probably just go to XDA anyway.

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:34 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I previously had the Nexus 4 as well.

A Galaxy S7 (non edge) would be right on your budget. I'm still really happy with mine - for me the S8 isn't worth upgrading for as the S7 still has expandable storage, a great camera, a jizz worthy QHD AMOLED display and is IP68 water resistant.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using a UMI Digi Plus E since June.
Coming from a 2015 Samsung S5 + 16GB which got on my nerves because it barely had room to do the updates, each time I'd have to shift apps to the SD card.

I like:
4000mah battery (easily 2 days on 1 charge, 3 if not used too much)
6GB RAM
64GB Storage (+128GB SD Card)
Speaker has a decent volume to it
Screen is bigger
It's faster / snappy.
Proper HDR, takes time to take pics, but they are better than just an over-saturated version.

I don't like:
Screen isn't quite as sharp. It's good, just not brilliant.
Screen brightness isn't as good, in bright sunshine its difficult to see without covering with a hand.
Camera isn't as good, doesn't deal with low light as well, tends to under or over expose. Paid £3 for Camera Zoom app and am happy with that.
I had to revert to standard keyboard as the google one wouldn't respond how I wanted. Standard is fine though.
Not all USB-C cables fit! The £4 NXT cables do for the OnePlus3.

https://imgbox.com/SUkAmDCS

https://imgbox.com/9Ktzluvh

https://imgbox.com/jHA4w1gr

https://imgbox.com/EO3aCd0s

https://imgbox.com/LdkG65uP

32GB £150
64GB £190

Am I a convert. So far yes. Shame about the brightness and camera, but I can live with those.
It's also nicer made than my plastic S5 which cost nearly 3x as much.

£500 on a phone again, not for me.

Will it last 2 years though....

EDIT:

Review
https://www.review-hub.co.uk/umi-plus-e-review/

Also, can order via banggood.com for £165 for the 64GB

EDIT2:

Just done a side by side comparison, after twiddling with the settings. I take it back. The UMI is brighter, and the screen is clearer. Thumbs Up

EDIT3:
Did an AnTuTu benchmark, 62149. Which is dismal. Top 50 phones. Half the score of an Iphone 6.
Seems fine to me, much faster than my S5. But only using messaging, WhatsApp, internet, twitter, music, vlc, ebay, books, copliot, osmand, os maps, waze, google maps.
No games.

Last edited by Pigeon on 20:58 - 21 Jul 2017; edited 4 times in total

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the OnePlus 5, I got it on the day of release and love it.

I've got nothing at all negative to say about it at all, it's super responsive and just works as you'd want.

Oh I do kill off the GUI of all my android devices with the Google Now Launcher, but that's just because I like simplicity in my life, the original GUI was nice enough really.

https://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/google-now-launcher-explained-what-you-need-to-know-1231503

It's to be replaced with Google Pixel Launcher soon, but I think it's just a rebranding.

Fifteen15
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:23 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a OnePlus 2 for the last 2 years and was planning on upgrading to the 5 when it was released, but after watching the live launch I wasn't that impressed. On the same day there was an offer on Amazon.it for the S8 for £50 more than the OnePlus so I bought the S8 instead and it's incredible. I'm glad I went for the S8 - nothing against the OnePlus, but the S8 blew me away the first few days of using it.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 08:56 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you still use a Custom Firmware on the OnePlus without losing any features it has.

I want to use a custom firmware on the Galaxy S6 but don't want to lose stuff like fingerprint unlock and encryption.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifteen15 wrote:
I've had a OnePlus 2 for the last 2 years and was planning on upgrading to the 5 when it was released, but after watching the live launch I wasn't that impressed. On the same day there was an offer on Amazon.it for the S8 for £50 more than the OnePlus so I bought the S8 instead and it's incredible. I'm glad I went for the S8 - nothing against the OnePlus, but the S8 blew me away the first few days of using it.

I've got a OnePlus 2 (meant to rival the S6), a friend who's had both said there's no comparison. I think they're ok for the money, I've had lots of stupid software glitches with my OnePlus though. Did an OTA update the other day and lost all my text messages Rolling Eyes

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 12:09 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for a Samsung Galaxy S7 - my wife has one and really likes it and never appears to have any issues with it (she would ask me if she did).

I have the iPhone 7 but that's because I am a ponce who doesn't know any better. It's also been pretty much faultless but most here are anti apple.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:35 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
I have the iPhone 7 but that's because I am a ponce who doesn't know any better. It's also been pretty much faultless but most here are anti apple.

I think their software has gone to shit but I agree. All the android devices in the family (even the premium ones) have died, all the Apple stuff's still going.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about the numbers.

https://oi65.tinypic.com/34j98ua.jpg

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:56 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I'm still on my 3T and its absolutely beastly. I'll get the 5 in September.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

wow so a phone with half the ram and nearly a year older is only slightly slower? Rolling Eyes

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
Pjay wrote:

wow so a phone with half the ram and nearly a year older is only slightly slower? Rolling Eyes

Show me a faster phone?
That 'nearly a year old' phone is around twice the cost.

Also the CPU is the same and the current fastest in any phone on the market. Oneplus are not in the position to get launch processors in their devices just yet. So they have to use the fastest available in the market.

So yeah, my phone is faster than the flagship Iphone at half the cost.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

Show me a faster phone?
That 'nearly a year old' phone is around twice the cost.

Also the CPU is the same and the current fastest in any phone on the market. Oneplus are not in the position to get launch processors in their devices just yet. So they have to use the fastest available in the market.

So yeah, my phone is faster than the flagship Iphone at half the cost.

half of £819 is £499 (like for like 128gb models), interesting...
also you said it was "all about the (benchmark) numbers" you said nothing about cost
surely a better comparison for the oneplus 5 would be the upcoming iphone 8 when released rather than a phone which is a year old?

ps: I used a OnePlus 3 for awhile it was a piece of shite, hopefully for your sake, build quality has improved Thumbs Up

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
half of £819 is £499 (like for like 128gb models), interesting...
also you said it was "all about the (benchmark) numbers" you said nothing about cost
surely a better comparison for the oneplus 5 would be the upcoming iphone 8 when released rather than a phone which is a year old?

ps: I used a OnePlus 3 for awhile it was a piece of shite, hopefully for you build quality has improved Thumbs Up

The build quality is generally regarded as a high point.

Yes the numbers point to the Oneplus winning that one.

Are you sure you can't compare two phones with the same ram and cpu?

It's still significantly more expensive and slower.

Enjoy being ripped off.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

Are you sure you can't compare two phones with the same ram and cpu?

It's still significantly more expensive and slower.

Enjoy being ripped off.

My entire point and opening sentence is that the iPhone has HALF (yes actually half) the amount of ram than OnePlus does and the OnePlus still only performs marginally better.
In fact the flagship OnePlus has 8GB which is more than twice and probably the phone the they used for that benchmark.

I at no point mentioned cost except in response to your half price comment. I know apple products are overpriced, I thought we were discussing performance not price?

Last edited by owl on 14:47 - 21 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

the scores are similar because they have similar hardware.
I'm not sure I understand your point.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
the scores are similar because they have similar hardware.
I'm not sure I understand your point.

Half or less than half the amount of system memory is not "similar" hardware, you understand what memory is and what role it performs in terms of performance right? I'm not talking about storage.

But really I'm just trying to wind you up (and being a twat) Razz there's only two phones I would spend money on right now and that's iPhone and Pixel which are both overpriced.
Samsung and OnePlus can both suck a dick but that's just because personally I have had negative experiences with both.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 16:25 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree, Samsung have been good phones - for me why I got the iPhone was because of stability and less things going wrong. They just kinda... work.

Benchmarking at those sorts of numbers and speeds doesn't prove much as all flagship type phones tend to work at pretty similar speeds in the real world.

It's like comparing between a R1, GSXR1000 and BMW s1000rr and saying the best one is the one with the most BHP.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
I disagree, Samsung have been good phones - for me why I got the iPhone was because of stability and less things going wrong. They just kinda... work.

Benchmarking at those sorts of numbers and speeds doesn't prove much as all flagship type phones tend to work at pretty similar speeds in the real world.

It's like comparing between a R1, GSXR1000 and BMW s1000rr and saying the best one is the one with the most BHP.

excellent point, although I do notice on every single android after a year or so it begins to grind to a halt and no I do not install loads of crap, whereas ios I have running on an old iPhone 3GS I have lying around still runs the same as it did the day the phone was purchased.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
My entire point and opening sentence is that the iPhone has HALF (yes actually half) the amount of ram than OnePlus does and the OnePlus still only performs marginally better.

It's a different OS. Android will truly multi-task. Having multiple applications running is what the memory is for, not speeding up basic operation or a single app.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
I do notice on every single android after a year or so it begins to grind to a halt

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Good lord, this made me cry.

Yeah android phones get slower after a year, which iphones are not known to.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

This is especially funny as i know for a fact it's impossible to slow down an android phone purely with age, and even more tickling is the fact that Apple were taken to court for purposely slowing down old phones.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/15/12/29/lawsuit-seeks-more-than-5m-from-apple-for-allegedly-slowing-older-iphones-with-ios-9-upgrade?

You couldn't make it up.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
This is especially funny as i know for a fact it's impossible to slow down an android phone purely with age, and even more tickling is the fact that Apple were taken to court for purposely slowing down old phones.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/15/12/29/lawsuit-seeks-more-than-5m-from-apple-for-allegedly-slowing-older-iphones-with-ios-9-upgrade?

You couldn't make it up.

Apple have definitely f'd up supporting older devices for longer. I wouldn't say maliciously, in the case of the iPad mini (2) they wanted a budget tablet to compete with the lower end of the market, but no way should that thing be running iOS 10.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

You couldn't make it up.

how far did that lawsuit get? what was the result again?

Quote:
New York District Court Judge Sterling Johnson, Jr. is presiding over the case. No hearings have been set at this time.

also hopefully you're not in an emergency situation

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2017/07/18/oneplus5-911-emergency-services-bug/

Laughing

wonder if they've figured out which way to mount those screens yet

https://9to5google.com/2017/06/30/oneplus-5-display-mounted-upside-down-jelly-scrolling/

i'm sure they'll have an apple like response, you're holding it wrong, obviously

oh no wait, it's your eyes that are the problem

https://bgr.com/2017/07/07/oneplus-5-scrolling-issue-baffling-explanation/
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 252 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3