Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike, Tyre choice, Mileage

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

notabikeranym...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Bike, Tyre choice, Mileage Reply with quote

tl;dr What bike do you have, what tyres do you run, and how quickly do they get chewed up?

So I noticed my R6 has chewed through it's first rear tyre just shy of 5000 miles which is something I'm surprised by. Front isn't so bad, but 1-2k more and it might be at its legal limit too. Are R6s meant to eat tyres like this?!

It came with Dunlop Sportmax Qualifiers as stock, so wasn't expecting them to get eaten so quickly because stock tyres are meant to be hard slippery skateboard wheels. They've actually been great in the dry if I'm honest.

Maybe running stock 42 psi on the rear was a bit too high? the fucker is totally squared off at this point. I've dropped down to 36 now and it feels more "squirmy" but way more planted at lower lean angles or more powah (or both).

Anyway, the only time they've shit themselves is in the wet and I don't really ride in the wet out of choice anymore, so I've ordered some supercorsas so I can cry after 2k miles by which time I expect they'll be worn through too.

So I'm curious what everyone else rides, what tyres they run, and how quickly the bike gets through those tyres.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBR600f, Michelin PR3, have had a rear last over 10,000miles

VTR1000, Michelin PP2CT, not been through a whole tyre yet, but I'm looking at very low mileage out of this one! Laughing

Edit: Ought to clarify; the CBR was used mostly for commuting and a birt of leisure here and there so wasn't ridden hard all the time.

The VTR is a purely leisure ridden bike as I don't commute on a bike any more. Therefore the VTR is ridden harder than the CBR in the equivalent mileage.

Last edited by haroman666 on 22:31 - 20 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dankwhoolieki...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:30 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Bike, Tyre choice, Mileage Reply with quote

Wheelies are proven to reduce tire usage by 50% Thumbs Up
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont judge a tyre by the oem stuff?

the amount of miles you get from a tyre is at least as much to do with you as the tyre.
eg,how heavy you (and your passenger)are,how hard you hit the power.straight line high speed will eat a tyre in no time .

i like metzelers at the moment.
i use a m7rr on the front and a roadtec o1 on the rear of my s1000r.
i only ride on the road and get between 5k to 6k out of rear and another few 100 out of the front.
they just seem to work for me all the time no matter wet or dry.

tldr:find a tyre YOU like and use that.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street Triple:

Rosso Corsa - 5k (Looked like a 20p)

PR4 - 10k (wear limit, but still life, still roundish)

Roadtec 01 - 7k so far, might get another 2-3k out of them. Have squared a little.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunlop road tires are generally shit. Avoid. I had several pairs on the cbr6.
For road use roadtec 01 or pr4 rear. Supercorsa and racetec are great but Im never going to fully use the rear on my roads.

Front fit a racetec or supercorsa, until winter, then pr4. Prefer racetec

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:47 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gsx1250fa

Pr4s

Around 8k rear and needs replacing, fronts okay for another 1-2k

That's almost twice as good as my Bridgestones ( BT30s) lasted previously.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:26 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not hugely helpful to you sportists, but I can't fault the wear on the Bridgestone Battle Wings on my Nazi Tractor. The rear has close to 10,000 miles on it with a fair amount of tread still left.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:04 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

FZS1000 Fazer.
PR4s, front and rear.
Rears typically last about 6000 miles, fronts maybe 7000. That's not running them down to the canvas, but beyond legal. Winter riding, if I do that much, might see another 1000 miles-ish out of each. All leisure riding, mostly in dry conditions.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 9500 miles on the PR4s i bought last year. 1.6mm left in the centre front and rear. Changing soon. Bandit 6 ridden in all weathers, only transport, always with luggage, maybe 2000 pillion miles. Quite a bit of urban and motorway use.

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:22 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunlop Roadmart 2s on my blade for year round riding, 8000ish from rear, front probably can do another 1000 more but I usually change them in pairs.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX7R

Michelin PR2
7.5 to 8k (it was a few years ago so I forget the exact number) ish from a rear, that included 2 novice track days at Llandlow as well. It was showing white in the centre after this mileage mind you.

Unfortunately I've changed bikes fairly often the last few years since I used my bike as daily transport, so I've not had the chance to use a set of tyres from start to finish

Bricktop
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:09 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear by Michelin PR3's on both my BMW K1100RS and my Honda CB1300.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 2k on Supercorsas and was about buggered, the same on M7RRs and not far away either - maybe 500 miles if I'm lucky / brave / daft. Panigale, mainly fastish sport road riding, a little straight line stuff (trips to Normandy and Scotland)
5-7k on each set of Michelin Road 1s 2s and 3s, mainly motorway commuting and Euro touring, ZZR11000.
Michelin Road 2s, some miles over about 4 years, verry infrequent use due to leaky old Ducati Monster! (Maybe 2-3k, but the tyre actually still looking in decent condition)
A chum is in the middle of destroying a set of Supercosrsa on a new Speed Triple, just over 1k and he's planning the next set!)

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:49 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

FJR1300

Over the 50k miles I've had the bike my tyre lifetime average is little over 3000 miles. Had all the top name sports touring tyres and no real difference in performance or longevity. Hated the PR3' - steering heavy and rear squared off really quickly. Last tyres were Bridgestone T30GT' and they lasted all of 2300 miles and had to be changed while on holiday in Spain which was an expensive PITA.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thundercat. Avon 3dxm front and rear have 7.2k miles on them and look destined to reach double that at current wear rate. I don't ride slowly nor do the tyres have an easy life. They've not let me down in the dry or wet

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:13 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha FZS600, had two sets of Metzeler Z8's previously getting around 13k out of them. Just put an M7RR on front, however I suspect it won't last that long.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

R1 with Bridgestone RS10's, 1000miles out of a rear tyre Laughing

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most bike/scoots I have owned do about 3000
I tend to buy decent Tyres

Did mange ten on a Chinese tyre

Miles not thou

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 31 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

PR3's on my gixer 600, 14k miles out of them and they are still good for a few more. I run 36psi front and rear if that makes any difference?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:09 - 31 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metzeler Sportec M7 RR

Fr was £76.89

Rr was £118.89

I had softer competition tyres on from Metzeler before I got these.
The competition tyres lasted about 2000 miles. (Not on a track)

I had Continentals on as per factory fit. But the Metzelers are a whole lot better.

tyre leader is who I buy tyres from.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 31 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using Pirelli Diablo Strada's (120/70 & 180/55) the last few years - can still pick pairs up for ~£120 on the bay of E's.

Getting about 8k out of them on average including a lot of motorway miles, so they seem a reasonable option for combining touring and more "spirited" riding.

Not a frequent wet weather/winter rider now days, but haven't had any grip problems on the occasions I've had them in those conditions.

brains_t
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:06 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSXR 750, Bridgestone S20 EV0 3,500 rear 5k Front, T30EVO 8k and likely to see another 3k.

TallPaul_S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:29 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

VFR800 - a 1000 mile old set of M7RR's, rear isn't showing much, if any signs of wear. Got a 3500 mile Alps trip in 2 weeks so they'll get a seeing to on this trip, I expect to have plenty of middle les, not much sides Laughing

Previously on the CB400 - Angel GT's, 8,000 out the rear (squared off), 15,000 out the front tyre.

Tuono - Metzler Roadtec Z8's (came with them), haven't done enough miles on them, only 2k or so but the rear is squaring off a little.

I do 10k miles a year commuting year round on the CB400, now on the VFR so tyres are of importance to me.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 263 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2