Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stuff you learned at school that has never been of any use.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:24 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Stuff you learned at school that has never been of any use. Reply with quote

Scottish Highland Dancing, I am English, male and have two left feet. Log Tables, FFS I have two computers in my pocket. Playing the recorder, to be fair to Mr Price I never actualy learned how to play the bloody thing even though he used to bang me on the head with his in the beat of " Sur La Pont etc".

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough I had a similar discussion over dinner today. Long division for me. I've used many other maths principles and lessons, but never once found a use for long division outside the classroom!

Talking of dancing. I learned the Haka at school, I've used it many times.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:54 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trampolining. Shocked My school had a relatively successful team so everyone had to do it in PE.
Mixed PE so did get to see a lot of female teenage gusset action when I was 'spotting'. Wink
Wasn't so good when one of the lads forgot his kit and had the PE teachers 'baggy blues' on (as we called them)
from the spare kit box. Saw many a hairless nutsack in a grotesque display of repeated brief weightlessness followed
by full testicular freefall. I probably deserve compensation for having had to witness that.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:14 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latin. Evil or Very Mad

Hated it but in my day and at my Grammar school the masters liked to beat it into you if you were a bit slow so I can still remember some Latin - to love AMO, AMAS, AMAT, AMAMUS, AMATIS, AMANT. It shows how good a stick is to get you to learn as that was 45 years ago and I have never used it between then and now Laughing

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:35 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between learnt and learned.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Alan1986
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 05:37 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never really had to know anything about Henry the 8th during my working life,
So I have no idea why my history teacher use to get annoyed when I skipped lessons

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:14 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Religious studies.

I do wonder how differently I would have reacted the first time I saw a person praying to Allah in the campus library if I'd never been taught what that lunatic procedure was all about. Same goes for street preachers etc. So much easier to blast them all as idiots if you haven't spent several years being told that half the world agrees with them.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:46 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to construct a circle within a right-angled triangle such that it fits perfectly and touches each of the triangle's three sides.

Rudiments of calculus - e.g. integration and differentiation.

Quadratic equations. Simultaneous equations.

Trigonometry.

ETC. ETC.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:08 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Latin. Evil or Very Mad

Could have gone and worked for Curry's. You should have a basic grasp of latin if you're working at Curry's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:22 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Particle physics. Quarks, neutrons, hadrons.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:39 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

High school was a waste of time. I could have passed GCSE Maths & English when I left middle school. I learned little at high school, was rarely there by the last year. Was working over 40hours per week by the time I was 15 anyway, with a string of part time jobs and paper rounds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:12 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Particle physics. Quarks, neutrons, hadrons.

Surely it's always useful to know how the world and the universe works? Sure, it's not useful in day-to-day life but it's part of a rounded education. You could argue that trampolining is less important, or learning about Mondrian or something, but science is key to everything that happens around us.

Without science we'd probably still be doing human sacrifices to fictional deities.

I remember a lot from school, and I honestly can't remember anything that hasn't been useful at some time. Maybe the project I did on the site and service scheme in Blantyre Malawi for GCSE Geography... dunno. Or Football. I never found that productive or useful. However, I have used my schoolboy German and French, I've used lots of maths. I find science endlessly fascinating and studied physics at University. RE, although boring enables me to argue on a reasonable level with religious nutters, and cooking, needlework, woodwork and metalwork have all been useful to me at some point or other. I've never been able to draw but I don't recall my school ever trying to teach that, but teaching the history of art and things like that which I do remember a bit when I go into museums and stuff.

Even music, my GF is a grade 7 or 8 Flute player and just to know what the notes are called and the basics like that enables me to talk to her on some level about it, even if I'm not at her level myself.

If I didn't study English at school, I wouldn't be able to write this post in such an eloquent way... go figure! Smile

Last edited by MarJay on 09:16 - 21 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:13 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welsh

Actually I take that back. My pigeon Welsh has come in handy for deciphering certain Super Furry Animals songs, pronouncing place names (including the Llanfair one) and mansplaining road signs to my wife.

Last edited by angryjonny on 09:16 - 21 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:16 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Latin. Evil or Very Mad

Hated it but in my day and at my Grammar school the masters liked to beat it into you if you were a bit slow so I can still remember some Latin - to love AMO, AMAS, AMAT, AMAMUS, AMATIS, AMANT. It shows how good a stick is to get you to learn as that was 45 years ago and I have never used it between then and now Laughing

Are you sure it didn't help with reading medical stuff, motto's, the real names of plants and animals.

The only stuff I've used from school are; Reading and writing, counting and how to forget stuff that's about it I think Thinking

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:17 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The entire subject of English literature (as opposed to English language).

I can appreciate the value of literature, I'm an avid reader. Studying it as an academic subject however is a waste of everyones time and effort and I suspect has turned more people off the concept of reading for pleasure than anything else.

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I can appreciate the value of literature, I'm an avid reader. Studying it as an academic subject however is a waste of everyones time and effort and I suspect has turned more people off the concept of reading for pleasure than anything else.

Indeed. I'm pretty sure my hatred of poetry stems from English lit lessons. My lowest grade at GCSE (B) was in English lit. Not sure how I managed that as I did no revision and spent most of the lessons trying to see the knickers of the girls sat behind me.

Thankfully I havent been put off reading. Sci-fi mostly.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

English Lit was simply an exercise in learning someone else's interpretation of a text, rather than interpreting it yourself. Regurgitate the answers in the exam, get a B.

The minute you assign right and wrong answers to literature you destroy the whole point of it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:01 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Force feeding kids Shakespeare is a great way to put them off it. It should be ostentatiously banned in schools to give it some cred.

Derailing, my most life-informative class was geography. Not because of the curriculum, but the teacher, an ex squaddie who would regale us with tales of being stationed in North Africa, a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:22 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind English Literature, except for all the poncing about, making excuses about why the author wrote it. I don't care about social commentary, I just like a good story. If your opinion didn't agree with the teacher's, they didn't like it. You were supposed to learn what academics had to say about the book, not have your own ideas, which kind of always annoyed me. You got marked down if you didn't pretty much say the same as what it said in bloody Cliffs Notes.

... but I hated poetry.
I had elocution lessons when I was about 11, and I had to recite poetry ad infinitum ... did my fuckin' nut in. It put me right off poetry as a genre when I got to high school. My attitude was that Percy Bish-Bosh can go and do one, and so can Beowulf. Kind of wish I'd read Beowulf now, of course, but I still can't get over that dislike of short lines of text concocted with general poetic smugness. (apart from limericks, of course Laughing )

The problem with English Lit is that I prefer to read a book literally, as a story, not as a complicated disposition on modern society. I hated having to unpick why they said this or that, and I didn't really care why Eliza Doolittle was a victim of her upbringing or who the fuck Pygmalion really was . I just wanted to enjoy the story. And get a chance to go to the cinema and watch the glorious Hepburn and Harrison at work Wub

I'm thinking about picking up some A levels in my spare time, to move forward with some late-in-life-learning type of thing, and English Language and Literature is one of the ones on offer at basic-mature-student level, so I might have to pretend I know what they all mean to get through that, but I only really want to read the story.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:27 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Without science we'd probably still be doing human sacrifices to fictional deities.

There is a certain culture that claims to have had the jump on everyone else where it comes to science, maths etc, and yet many of them do subscribe to human sacrifices to a fictional deity.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:03 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A large proportion of what I was taught at No.2 School of Trade Training, RAF Cosford for an Avionics and Aerospace Studies course. I never thereafter needed to know how a Colpitt's oscillator works, not even during any of my subsequent postings. But doing it at tech rather than mech level was a fast track to better pay, so on second thoughts, maybe it wasn't entirely useless Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:07 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggest waste of time was English lit. who cares about writing stories?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:10 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
biggest waste of time was English lit. who cares about writing stories?

People who write stories? Many of them seem to do rather well out of it, wish I was good at it. "Here you go Mr. King, here's a $2million advance for your next work, let us know when it's finished."
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 252 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5