Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stuff you learned at school that has never been of any use.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX-7R wrote:
Algebra

Algebra is more about brain conditioning than anything else.
You use Algebra every day in your head.

Like if you are wanting to find number 32 on a street and you are at number 16, you will know to 16/A=2 = 8 doors away. You don't think you are doing this, but your brain will (or should) do it for you with next to no thought about it.

The same applies to shopping, where you compare prices of different size packs to work out which is the best deal.

There are literally infinite uses and your brain will use algebra to calculate them without you realising.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:17 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

You use Algebra every day in your head.
Like if you are wanting to find number 32 on a street and you are at number 16, you will know to 16/A=2 = 8 doors away. You don't think you are doing this, but your brain will (or should) do it for you with next to no thought about it.

OMG Shocked I never knew that.
That just complicates matters, though Shocked

It will take me five minutes to understand that equation.
I could have walked there and back by then and counted the houses on the way.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
It will take me five minutes to understand that equation..

In simple terms you know that each house counts for 2 numbers and that there is 8 houses between 16 and 32.

That's algebra, you are using A (house) in the maths.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

I could have walked there and back by then and counted the houses on the way.

Algebra?

Counting Houses?

Don't you just have to look at the number displayed on the house to work out that's the one you need...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:23 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
High school was a waste of time. I could have passed GCSE Maths & English when I left middle school. I learned little at high school, was rarely there by the last year. Was working over 40hours per week by the time I was 15 anyway, with a string of part time jobs and paper rounds.

Kind of agree. They'd be better off teaching you a trade or something at about 14-15, than forcing academics on people who aren't academically inclined.

Art was a totally useless subject, I'm not butthurt cos it's the only one I failed (well D grade), honest Laughing I'm inclined to agree with the Lord Percy about RE, although I did somewhat enjoy my weekly arguments with the teacher Rolling Eyes

The truly useless stuff's all the extra crap they teach nowadays. At school it was brainwashing 'citizenship', college key skills and uni (yes uni) study skills. Probably speaks volumes about the institutions I attended that they were even offered.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned that any exam that I took wasn't a test of knowledge in ay way shape or form.

It was a test of memory.

If you had a poor memory then you were fucked. Royally fucked.

Thankfully, when I was taking my GCSE's in 1999, coursework was a mandatory part of the curriculum.

ಠ_ಠ

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:23 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

FretGrinder wrote:
I learned that any exam that I took wasn't a test of knowledge in ay way shape or form.

It was a test of memory.

If you had a poor memory then you were fucked. Royally fucked.

Thankfully, when I was taking my GCSE's in 1999, coursework was a mandatory part of the curriculum.

All we did (for GCSEs) was go over practice papers, see what questions kept coming up and learnt how to scrounge marks. I think they've dropped coursework from Maths so I definitely would have failed now (I scraped through by a mark).

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:37 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record. I got a band 1 A grade (the highest possible and best in my class) in my higher English exam. I answered the literature paper on a book I had never read at all and on a poem I had read once, two years previously.

My teacher was furious because she knew full well I hadn't read any of the specified texts and had spent the year doodling in a jotter and voicing the oppinion that whole subject was an exercise in confidently expressed bullshit.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's very little I learnt that I've never used and plenty I wish I'd paid much more attention to (especially languages).
Having said (typed) that, I should point out that for over half my working life there wasn't an Internet (and when it arrived, there wasn't always easy access), and I didn't have a mobile phone, let alone a smart phone.

If I had to choose the least useful, then probably stuff like Plant Biology and chemistry, but even for those subjects I've been able to tell young nephews/nieces about some stuff when they've asked.

By far the most useful thing was Algebra which at the time seemed like the least useful, but it's about problem solving and I've had years of that...
As for standard Maths, my mental kills improved enormously when I started playing Darts in the local.... Cool

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Log tables here too, we spent hours learning how to do *something* with them in the 70s and still no idea what it was for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Log tables here too, we spent hours learning how to do *something* with them in the 70s and still no idea what it was for.

I'd guess it was for the times you didn't have a calculator to hand and needed to know what a multiple of a certain number would be...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:43 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
who cares about writing stories?

Trolls?

alt.wesley.crusher.die.die.die should be required reading at the academy.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russian history i didn't care about it when i was in school. Didn't care during GCSE's. An all being well won't care about it in the future.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it was music lessons. I had no interest in what year Sibelius died, nor did I show a flair for the glockenspiel.

I didn't even know what type of music Mr Hurst the teacher liked but I'm guessing it didn't contain guitars.
A ripe young brain like mine would've appreciated how to string and tune an instrument, or learn about impedance and recording techniques, publishing, copyrights and organisations like the PRS.

I was a twat in music and religious education lessons until aged 13, then didn't bother with school much apart from the exams.

Hated art too, because I was crap with the mediums they used. Can't draw, paint, sculpt, throw clay.

Crap at metalwork and woodwork too but good at stabbing things.

I was too young to be at school, I apologise to my teachers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:28 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
For me it was music lessons. I had no interest in what year Sibelius died, nor did I show a flair for the glockenspiel.

I didn't even know what type of music Mr Hurst the teacher liked but I'm guessing it didn't contain guitars.
A ripe young brain like mine would've appreciated how to string and tune an instrument, or learn about impedance and recording techniques, publishing, copyrights and organisations like the PRS.

Music was appalling. ~2002 and we were (meant to be) programming crappy keyboards, I used to produce something on the computer at home 20 minutes before school for my assignment Rolling Eyes

Howling Terror wrote:
Hated art too, because I was crap with the mediums they used. Can't draw, paint, sculpt, throw clay.

Uggh yeah, experimentation and progression, they also wanted us to write about our work Neutral What I still don't get is how people in the final exam who didn't finish passed. A pal did half a shit painting of a flower (in 10 hours) and passed. In what world's half-a-job acceptable?

Yep still butthurt

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

At uni I studied (amongst other things) both medieval English and post Napoleonic rural violence in east Anglia.

Always comes in handy...

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:57 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I answered the literature paper on a book I had never read at all and on a poem I had read once, two years previously.

That reminds me of having to do what was called "a book report" on something we had read over the holidays. I knew I hadn't read anything that the teacher might call suitable so I just made up a book and a author and stood up in front of the class and gave a cracking good book report on this nonexistent book. The teacher bought it, I got a top grade for it and I think getting away with that started me on my long criminal career in forgery.

Anybody wanna buy some fifty quid notes for ten quid each? How about an original Rembrandt I found in the loft? All totally legit, I swear!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadratic equations, never ever needed once!

Geometry, spent the vast majority of my working life as a draughtsman, never came up!

RE. Rolling Eyes

What was really annoying, all the unteachable, disruptive bastards, got to go fishing instead of certain lessons! I had to wait till school had finished for the day to do that! Twisted Evil

Music, well I was taught by my dad, from an early age, how to read music and play the trumpet/cornet. By the time I was 13 I was one of the solo cornet players, (top dog), in a local brass band.
I headed off to high school, where I was told, surely you must need more lessons.
I was told to bring in some music which I would play for the brass tutor, I picked the trickiest piece I knew and played it. The tutor said don't come back!
The other music teacher wanted me to play in the school orchestra. In what I consider to be one of my best moments in high school, I told the music teacher that her orchestra "wasn't good enough", she didn't speak to me for the next 5 years, RESULT!

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
I was a twat in ..... religious education lessons until aged 13

I think pretty much everyone was as soon as they understood it's a complete bollocks subject...

I was so crap at Music and Art that I didn't do them for long and had forgotten that I'd ever done them Laughing

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geography :- Native Americans Wiped Out With Europeans Diseases .. the various forms of the clapp takin a heavy toll ..

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mate of mine did some descriptive writing for English coursework, the teacher marked it as B and gave it back to him. He wrote a totally different piece, submitted that and got an A for it. I printed out a copy of his B graded work at the end of the year as the coursework deadline loomed and put my name on it and handed it in to the same teacher, who marked it as a C with my name on it. Rolling Eyes

I am terrible at art and never bothered with it, however the art teacher was fit. One week our homework was to draw a portrait of someone famous. I found a magazine cover with an A4 sized picture of Va'aiga Tuigamala on it. So I cheated, traced it on thin plain paper and handed it in. For the art teacher to criticise it and claim his ears and nose where not in the right place on his face. When I had traced a photograph of him.

The main thing I learned was not to trust teachers.

Similar thing happened at college when our Geography teacher got some of the previous years coursework out for us to look at. I found an A graded piece of work that was the same task I had been given. So I nicked it, copied it, added the bits in that the teacher had highlighted as missing. Got a C for that. Rolling Eyes

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oposite side

Can CDT become a thing

Kids are stiupid and can't use a tool kit
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:42 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
Oposite side

Can CDT become a thing

Kids are stiupid and can't use a tool kit

We made an egg cup out of plastic and a wooden diorama thing. More great preparation for absolutely nothing in the real world.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning how to wander round with a clip board and survey in a random village to pester people. Rolling Eyes

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:40 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
For the record. I got a band 1 A grade (the highest possible and best in my class) in my higher English exam. I answered the literature paper on a book I had never read at all and on a poem I had read once, two years previously.

My teacher was furious because she knew full well I hadn't read any of the specified texts and had spent the year doodling in a jotter and voicing the oppinion that whole subject was an exercise in confidently expressed bullshit.

Similarly, in the 5th form we were given the option to review a book of our own choosing, rather than the set curriculum. Despite that I had worked my way through The Agony & The Ecstasy on my own without anybody suggesting it, I decided to review "A Clockwork Orange" based on the MAD magazine cartoon I had seen rather than reading the actual book; I hadn't even seen the film (didn't get round to that for another 15 years).

My teacher (one of the livelier of the nuns) genuinely thought I had reviewed it, and started to call me out on certain questions, like did I really believe that the draconian way of treating Alex's ultra-V problem was a better way than traditional justice. But although I insisted I thought it would be, I made the mistake of admitting what I had done.

I think she was disappointed in my shallowness Laughing For a split second there was a glint in her eye that she had clearly thought she had an anarchist on her hands. Sadly I was just lazy and lame.

I went back about a year later and read the book, and then started using the slang words around school, but luckily that teacher never heard me using them. Some children younger than me got scared cos they immediately thought of Scary Clowns when I said something was Horrorshow Laughing Stephen King hadn't even written IT at that stage, so fuck knows where their scary clowns came from Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 279 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5