Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stuff you learned at school that has never been of any use.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 02:41 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say Algebra , but I just had to relearn all the crap from school and more to do a new certification at work aged 30.

It was painful and hated every minute of it, but it did still click from school.

Religious education has to be my no1 by far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:51 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mind RE (or "Christian Living" as we were allowed to call it back then Laughing ). I quite liked finding my feet in terms of moral values, and it's enabled me to keep my own counsel nowadays that the Catholic faith has disappointed me so badly*.

At around age 13 or 14 I was smart enough to realise (and suggest to my friends) that when asked by the careers officer what we thought we wanted to do when we left school, that "I've been thinking I might like to become a nun" gave a good impression. How disappointed they were when we continued to be little shits and although we spent our lunchtime in the chapel, we were mostly doing forward rolls and giggling.

*Strangely, though, I've found myself drifting into churches lately, and I find the Catholic Mass oddly soothing. I never engage in it, I just sit at the back and listen to it, English and occasionally Latin.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 03:13 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE wasn't a waste of time as it was a nice break between lessons that were important. Plus I got told useful stuff like how I'm going to hell, the teacher was most pissed off that day. Laughing They'd probably go to prison for telling kids that today!

ICT was generally a waste of time due to knowing more than the teachers and ICT staff did. It was however very educational in how to find and exploit bugs in the system such as how to replace the colleges logo on the login screen for every computer in the college. Laughing

French was a waste of time. So was German and Spanish.

Overall, it's be easier to list the lessons which weren't a waste of time. Maths was never a waste of time, lots of it was fun.

Tracer1234 wrote:
Learning how to wander round with a clip board and survey in a random village to pester people. Rolling Eyes

Rolling Eyes

You were supposed to make up the results to fit with your hypothesis.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:08 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

French, shout louder or show money, they will understand.
Stuff about a Baobab tree, that was in geography, Still get lost and need a sat nav.
Greek mythology, but the teacher did have a great set of tits and really hard nipples.
English Lit. I have read some good books since leaving school that they wouldn't have had on the curriculum, Brecht comes to mind. My teacher thought I needed help due to the stories I wrote, all based on songs from Bowie, Iggy Pop, Queen and the like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RE teacher at our school had to leave. Something to do with being caught whilst attempting an armed robbery at a post office.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:49 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

French was a waste of time. So was German and Spanish.

French and German are the ones I now wish i'd paid more attention to, although I have been surprised how much German I've remembered from then, and how relaxed I feel about using what I know. French I didn't take cos I found out we'd have the same teacher I'd hated so much from the two years before we made our subject choices for 'O' Levels. Spanish we didn't do at my school.

Quote:
Maths was never a waste of time, lots of it was fun.

They're right; you do need help Laughing

Tracer1234 wrote:
Learning how to wander round with a clip board and survey in a random village to pester people. Rolling Eyes

This came in very handy later. Being well grounded in wandering around with a clipboard looking busy got me out of doing a lot of shit jobs in the RAF Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
It was however very educational in how to find and exploit bugs in the system such as how to replace the colleges logo on the login screen for every computer in the college.

Is that when NobCat was conceived and nurtured into what we know and love today? Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:33 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
French was a waste of time.

Not with our belle française exchange teacher it wasn't.

History was mostly bunk.

Alan1986
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:36 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing I remember about religious education was drawing a knob on jesus and getting thrown out of class,

Use to draw knobs on lots of pictures for some reason

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:47 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
ICT was generally a waste of time due to knowing more than the teachers and ICT staff did. It was however very educational in how to find and exploit bugs in the system such as how to replace the colleges logo on the login screen for every computer in the college. Laughing

I dunno it was an interesting lesson in the history of computing, we were still using 486s in 2002 Rolling Eyes

bamt wrote:
The RE teacher at our school had to leave. Something to do with being caught whilst attempting an armed robbery at a post office.

Maybe it was a test of divine intervention? Think mine did the same, she drowned in a swimming pool Dance!

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:57 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to school in the 70's and a disinterested system.
The disinterested school system taught me very very little.
At my school they had the subject "Home Economics" ?, a great little lesson to waste time and learn how to make an apple pie Laughing
That's really been a massive help in my adult life Laughing

I taught myself English and Maths after leaving school.
I was 30 years old before I could do joined up handwriting.

The University of Life taught me so much more.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:04 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our school you had to back your books with plastic/wall paper, wrapping paper. Teachers were note amused with me using bog roll.

When I had little remarks in red in my books I used to add my own, reasons for poor results were normally due to poor teaching of the subjects.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:01 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
At my school they had the subject "Home Economics" ?, a great little lesson to waste time and learn how to make an apple pie Laughing
That's really been a massive help in my adult life Laughing

Still exists but re-branded as food technology, I assume to make it sound more exciting? Thinking

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:27 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my school, it was just called Cooking Rolling Eyes

If you weren't doing Cooking, you were doing Sewing.
You didn't have any choice.
You did both. When you were told.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
In our school you had to back your books with plastic/wall paper, wrapping paper. Teachers were note amused with me using bog roll.

When I had little remarks in red in my books I used to add my own, reasons for poor results were normally due to poor teaching of the subjects.

OMG Skuddipoos ... your bog roll fetish truly does go WAY BACK, dude Shocked Shocked Shocked

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:34 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
At my school, it was just called Cooking Rolling Eyes

If you weren't doing Cooking, you were doing Sewing.
You didn't have any choice.
You did both. When you were told.

I like the sound of your school...

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6wEg9l6pcyo/USEVPEH-jzI/AAAAAAAAOCo/f6Kjw33lv64/s1600/nun+with+ruler.png

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:10 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything IT related was a massive waste of my time and theirs. I got 2 U's in IT. Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:26 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Laughing Laughing
Quite a few of the nuns were reasonably modern but they DID all look pretty much like that. We had some progressive ones, cos it was just after Vatican 2, so they were trying to modernise. But quite a few still stuck to old rules and ways.

The headmistress was the most frightening thing you ever saw, even though she was a tiny frail old thing with only one lung. We were TERRIFIED of her. You know that scene in Indiana Jones where they open the Ark of the Covenant and all the bad shit comes out, and turns into that big scary lady/spirits/demon face that the Nazi guy's face melts cos he looks at her? That was based on our headmistress, I swear George Lucas must have driven past my school and seen her walking up and down outside waiting for latecomers. I had nightmares of her chasing me after I saw that. Sister Justine, OMG, woe betide you if you were put out of a class for goofing off, and happened to be standing in the corridor when she passed by Shocked Shocked She didn't even have to do anything to you, she just *glared* and told you that you were brazen and that you were letting down the rest of the class.

I had a nun for a piano teacher for a few months when I was about 7 or 8 (before I started bunking off Laughing ) she was a dab hand with a ruler if your fingers strayed or were too slow.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:29 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I.T. wasn't even invented when I was at school.
We had typewriters, and even then they were OLD ones with those really hard-spring keys, you had to really poke at the keys to get them to work.

https://vickybeeching.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/old-typewriter.jpg

The typing teacher had an IBM Selectric with a golf-ball, we all thought that was the coolest thing going.

When I was in third form (equivalent I suppose of year 10?) for my end of year exam in typing, I got 11% Laughing ... my mother had to ask really nicely for them to keep me in, cos I was doing shorthand as well, and I had to work really hard the next year to get better results.

That was the same year my science grade for "electricity" was an E (or was it an F? Thinking ) ... cos it was the lowest grade they could give Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:45 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Sewing.

Curtains into clothes?

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely everything I learned in A-Level Pure and Applied Maths and physics. And I'm a professional analyst/programmer! With hindsight I wish I'd done psychology, history and economics instead.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:27 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only managed a skirt.
And even that was pretty shoddy.
Somehow I managed to blag my way out of the class, can't remember how, now. Possibly hockey Puke or library duty (one of the few worthwhile time wasting exercises, I could get away with reading all afternoon, I taught myself the Dewey system in my spare time).

#geek

Forgotten it now, o'course, but at the time, until I was about 23, I could tell you where any sorta non-fiction book was.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never did any 'Home Economics'.
I can't remember what I did instead.
I'm a decent cook on the hob but I've never been comfortable using an oven.
If i'd done the class then maybe I'd have been a bit more confident with using it...

I hated RE but we did have a laugh.
I'm pretty sure the teacher was past retirement age, had poor hearing, was bad with names, a squint and an arthritic index finger (seriously!).
When he had a go at you it looked like he was looking at the person to your left but his finger pointed at the person to your right.
We taunted him rotten, but I guess we were just testing his faith in his imaginary friend... Laughing

This was mid-70s Embarassed

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked home economics, I can use a sewing machine and make flapjacks.

P.E. was the biggest waste of time. If you didn't start with any semblance of skill, the teachers weren't interested in showing you the basics. Being paired up in tennis with someone who could play doesn't generate interest when you constantly score zero without knowing how the game is scored.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
P.E. was the biggest waste of time.

Oh God, yes! Had a bit of a laugh sometimes though, sneaking off from cross country runs to my mate's house for a cuppa, turning a rugby match with another local school into a complete punch-up cos we were hopelessly losing etc Laughing

Actually, everything we covered in Geography has been pretty much useless to me since leaving school, but I enjoyed at least the physical geography part. And now, Earth sciences fascinate me. Might have been an alternative career path there somewhere if things had gone differently.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5