Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New helmet cam review (from Techmoan)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Stoker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:41 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: New helmet cam review (from Techmoan) Reply with quote

Just watched a new camera review on Techmoans youtube channel, thought folks might be interested as I've seen a few people asking for recommendations before.

He normally does reviews on old audio gear, but also cameras and other tech stuff, and is sponsor-free.

linkyhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ilLlFUSTb4

Edited to ask:-

What are you looking for when you buy a helmet-cam, and what options should manufacturers include?

For example, on this particular model I would like the option to change some settings via plugging in to a pc and changing certain elements in a txt file, as available on other cameras.

The mount for the cam looks good, so does the general "waterproofness", just hope it's compatible with Rainpal®.

Kamikaze Bob
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:49 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen a few of his vids for helmet/action cams, does some good reviews and isn't afraid to call out shitty equipment.

I do like the look of that camera, but I would want better battery life, for recording trips rather than just the usual commute. Heading away for a few days with a mate this week, camping up the Highlands, and was looking for a camera to record the whole thing. (Side note - no money for one just now, so got nowt)

I was looking at the SJCAM4000 given some of the reviews on here and yootoob, and I found I could get a waterproof charging case, which coupled with a battery pack solved the power problem. I notice the one above has a back port for the mic/speaker to be attached; if they done another cable just for charging then it would be an all-day camera.

Edit: Looking further into it, looks like it doesn't record when charging. Dammit

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:45 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Sena looks like a credible alternative to my Drift Stealth HD. The point about it being simple to operate is well made: 1080p and a slidey on-off switch with an audible tell-tale is ideal. Fast charging sounds good, my Stealth takes hours.

Cheap extra mounts are important, since I swap my camera between 3 helmets.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:00 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting (im)patiently for the sena 10c evo which is a cam/bluetooth unit in one, the 10c seems well received aside from the video quality which appears to have been addressed by the evo. Also the evo looks a lot more sleek.

It also has a video tagging mode, which means it loop records 1 minute clips that overwrite each other, if you activate the tag it will save the last 60 seconds and subsequent 120 seconds.

https://www.sena.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/10CEVO_3.jpg

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kamikaze Bob wrote:
...SJCAM4000... doesn't record when charging. Dammit

Yes, it does. I have one, with the charging case. I also made my own charging case with a cheapy case (Go-pro stuff fits just fine) a micro USB and some silicone.

It may be that the power source they used puts it in PC Camera/Mass storage mode, but I've not had that issue with either the X-Grip port or the Power bank.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:32 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most important is the ability to change the battery. Batteries over time hold less charge and what happens if you go on a long ride longer than the inbuilt battery?

Or they should build a connector that allows you to connect it to an external power source (bike battery, power bank, battery in pocket) while still retaining the water proof qualities of the camera.

Maybe an air gap transformer or something.

Right now on my drift sure I can take the back cover off and use a power bank and a mini USB but this means its no longer water proof.

The sena he reviews has the same problem.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drift is *almost* waterproof in that the back cover with USB holes allows any drops that get in to escape, you could get a spare holey back and use mastic or something with a dedicated lead for serious wet rides, or just temporary tape round it maybe.

I think Drift are still about the best all round option and have reasonably good battery life - over two hours (plus cheap spares).
The points about easy off/on aren't so relevant when you have the remote.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:23 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Or they should build a connector that allows you to connect it to an external power source (bike battery, power bank, battery in pocket) while still retaining the water proof qualities of the camera.

The Sena's audio peripherals connect via a water-resistant micro-USB plug. If I hadn't had a cider brunch, I'd search to see if there's an equivalent USB power cable, but life is what it is.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks pretty good.
I've been through a few helmet cams now, I'm currently using a TomTom Bandit camera (this has a swappable battery too)

My all time favourite is still the Contour Roam 2 - it has a big slider switch and was easy to tell if it's on or not. I have a Roam 3 too, but it sometimes locks up - the Roam 2 was always stable.

The Bandit has fiddly little buttons, so you can't definitively turn it on whilst riding, you have to long press one button then short press it once more and wait for the audio bleeps. A bit too fussy to do on the fly, so it has to be done before setting off. The GPS feature is good though, and you can overlay GPS breadcrumbs/Gforce/Speed etc via the Bandit software.

The one that has my attention at the moment is the Nuviz - HUD/camera and speakers along with handlebar controls. The only real things stopping me from investing are the fact that you can't activate Google Assistant from the buttons (I use this a _lot_ through my Sena) and there aren't dedicated media controls (you have to scroll to the relevant menu and then click 'next' or whatever) and it's a bit dear (although if the above issues were fixed, I'd probably take the plunge, because gadget)

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

The Sena's audio peripherals connect via a water-resistant micro-USB plug. If I hadn't had a cider brunch, I'd search to see if there's an equivalent USB power cable, but life is what it is.

Critical part highlighted. The Sena 20S powers off if it gets 'too wet'.

Kamikaze Bob
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:54 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Kamikaze Bob wrote:
...SJCAM4000... doesn't record when charging. Dammit

Yes, it does. I have one, with the charging case. I also made my own charging case with a cheapy case (Go-pro stuff fits just fine) a micro USB and some silicone.

It may be that the power source they used puts it in PC Camera/Mass storage mode, but I've not had that issue with either the X-Grip port or the Power bank.

Misunderstood mate, I meant the Sena doesn't record when charging. Big downside, if they could fix that then it'd be perfect IMO.

With the charging case for the SJCAM, I could get a power back attached for all day, I know that, but as a helmet cam it looks bulky as hell. Would prefer a bullet style cam but the power issue is what's stopping me.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:03 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
My all time favourite is still the Contour Roam 2

That's what I thought of when I saw the Sena.

Kamikaze Bob wrote:
I meant the Sena doesn't record when charging.

FAQ
Q) Can you record and charge at the same time.
A) Yes - I can't remember any camera I've tested in the last 5 years that won't let you do this. See 06:40 for a mention of this as well.

conker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:28 - 28 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
The drift is *almost* waterproof in that the back cover with USB holes allows any drops that get in to escape, you could get a spare holey back and use mastic or something with a dedicated lead for serious wet rides, or just temporary tape round it maybe.

I think Drift are still about the best all round option and have reasonably good battery life - over two hours (plus cheap spares).
The points about easy off/on aren't so relevant when you have the remote.

I don't think the remotes are waterproof and my drift is plagued with issues. My Stealth 2 doesn't start recording in Car DVR mode set to Auto when the power is supplied, it just powers up and starts charging.

This came to light because decided to mount my Stealth 2 on the bike and make use of DVR mode, I found a bloke on ebay that 3D prints back covers that fit nicely and might be enough to stop rain getting in, I was just going to use it backless and gaffa tape it into one of the kiddies orange just cartons.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Drift-Stealth-2-Charge-Hatch-Cover/132229418702?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I don't know anything about 3D printing, buy maybe someone who does could make something similar for other models of camera for powering and recording.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:23 - 28 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, thanks. Despite the disclaimer I reckon an appropriate spooge of silicone should make that fairly water resistant.

conker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:37 - 28 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does DVR mode work on your camera or is my expectation of what it'll do incorrect?

I don't want to have to manually start and stop the recording or I might as well continue forgetting to charge it and strapping it uselessly to my helmet(on my head)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 265 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1