Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Entertaining Smaller Bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Entertaining Smaller Bikes Reply with quote

Evening all,

A friend of mine recently got his first bike - a 125 - and so I find I've been riding my own CG 125 a lot more on leisure rides with him (circa 150-200 miles generally) rather than just using it for commuting and local runs. I've got bigger bikes that I normally use but I'm finding the little CG is a lot of fun to thrash flat out down the more technical twisty bits. Probably because it takes a bit more work and is thus more engaging, Despite not actually going very fast compared to the bigger bikes it feels like you are on the wee bike.

The biggest issue with it is overtakes as cars are often slower in the bends. The opportunities are there but it generally means a long straight (and a cooperative driver!), nipping them mid corner or a bit of a run up which means getting stuck through some of the more twisty bits. A 250 would probably fix this problem most of the time.

I know lots of other folk here enjoy smaller bikes or lesser powered bikes also - so which bikes in the 250-400cc range (or similar in power levels) do you find most enjoyable?

Last edited by kgm on 23:11 - 21 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:28 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

250 two strokes. End of thread.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/small11.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSXR400RKSP. Can't post pics as Photobucket sucks.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually take them out for dinner, buy them a few drinks before riding them like an animal

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:20 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any 250 two-stroke will fix that problem.
However there are so many more types/sizes of bike in the small bore category.
200 twins, 175 singles and twins and so on.

Being a bit large, I use a 250 as my smaller bike and I love it.
The CG 125 is not exactly the most powerful bike, so just get a slightly bigger bike, a 175 for example.

I loved my old Suzuki ts 250 , it was just fantastic on the old back roads.
I now have a Chinese pos (Honley RX3) as my small bore bike and it's great on the B-roads.
On the 125 note, I had a Sachs xtc 125 and it was a fantastic little bike for the B-roads.
The Sachs had White Power suspension, Brembo brakes and a Suzuki engine.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:01 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested in 250-400cc bikes but all the good ones seem to be in the past. The new 300s might be a good shout when they come down in price a bit (on the second hand market).

In saying that had I not got a taste of big bikes during my DAS training now, I'd probably be riding a CRF250M now.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:24 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure there's lots of small bikes that can be alot of fun, and on very different levels too.

As mentioned above, a 400 sports bike might be a good Sunday morning thrash tool, but then again so could a 500cc twin like a CB500, as power is similar but in a less capable but still good enough chassis to have fun.

Going smaller there's a myriad of fun bikes all for different things.

A tuned monkey bike or a sporty twist and go might be a right laugh for going to the shops on or doing unsuitable trips like commuting etc.

Trail bikes can be mildly fun on the back roads, as can the CG125 that OP mentioned. I've had my own fun on these in the past. Small capacity supermoto's, sports bikes, sand/beach bikes can all be fun in their own way too.

100cc two strokes roadsters, and 125-250cc two stroke and four stroke bikes can be lots of fun. I do kind of like 125's alot as there's so much scope for different kinds of bike and of different abilities and attributes too.

Sometimes a high maintenance, highly strung fragile bike is lots of fun for short blasts, and other times a frugal fuel sipper that you know you can thrash all day and it'll be rock solid reliable for long distances with the occasional oil change is fun.

A retro bike or traditional scooter can be fun for summer cruising or the social scene around them.

What most fun bikes have in common for me though is light weight. If a bike is light and easy to throw about, then it doesn't matter if it's 10bhp or 60bhp.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:34 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still enjoying my Ninja 250, it was a decent impulse purchase.

If you were looking for a single bike to do anything, I'd want to go up to at least one of the newer 300s for distance work. But as a commuter or on a hit-the-limiter ride, 250 is a giggle. The engine is surprisingly flexible, pulling 30mph in 6th, which I didn't expect. It's a generous tank too, with well over 200 miles in it.

Overtakes still need planning and commitment though, as there's no lazy acceleration on tap. It needs redlined, and you have to be prepared to change up if necessary.

That's the fun of it though, you need to work for it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:59 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
What most fun bikes have in common for me though is light weight. If a bike is light and easy to throw about, then it doesn't matter if it's 10bhp or 60bhp.

Yep, it's a shame so few (modern) lightweight bikes exist over 125cc. Even 250s are rather lardy.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:35 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, the Ninja 250 is 170kg wet. It's still the lightest of my current bikes, but lighterer would be betterer (absent cross winds).

KTM have managed to get the Duke 390 down to about 155kg wet, but running with the same disappointing 10 litres of fuel I'd be down to 162 anyway.

Still, we can all have a good laugh at the new GSX-R250 GSX250R. 178kg wet, 24.7hp to the Ninja's 30+. Tuned for torque, sure, but if that's what you're after, Duke it out.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 22:02 - 22 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the price of these 'modern' 250 - 300's you could have a Honda cb250 K2 K3. There's a good reason that they are popular in the classic race scene, they go rather well! (And they look like a proper bike!)

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two TTR 250s that i use for commuting and green laning. Nice nimble little bike that has a fair bit of poke, around 25bhp. One is fitted with road tyres and the other knobblies. Can overtake the cars well! It's a really fun bike to throw about, it narrow and tall and doesn't weigh much at all

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:45 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As light as possible. The fun doesn't come from having any power (unless it's a 250cc 2-stroke), but from the bike weighing nothing so you can chuck it around.

I've always been fond of the Honda CB250RS for this reason, and generally being fairly rugged and forgiving. I used to enjoy powersliding mine on a long gravel drive when I was 17. Any bike I've had since then would throw me off.

My Kymco K-pipe 125 was fun for similar reasons, it weighed absolutely nothing - I think it was about 100kg. Like riding a BMX with an engine. Sachs MadAss is very similar, but taking the BMX-with-an-engine concept a step further.

One of these days I'll do an ultra light weight CB250RS. It will cost a horrendous amount and probably never get finished, but the alternative is spending more time with my family, so it's worth it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:55 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know where there's an abandoned CB250RS Whistle What puts me off old bike's the brakes. I was on the limit with the XR in terms of braking, any worse and I think I'd be making regular entries to the spill counter.

And yes KTM seem to be the only modern manufacturer concerned about weight Crying or Very sad
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its noise you want. www.youtube.com/watch?v=28U3emrTwbU&t=60

As for CB250 shit heaps... just why?!?!?

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:42 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Gamma Reply with quote

I've noticed that lately there's a few of the old Suzuki RG250 engines coming up on Ebay. I don't pay any attention to the full bikes as they fetch far too much "vintage" money these days but there does seem to be a few engines cropping up. Very small, will fit into anything, and as far as I remember were about 45HP. Surely somebody's got an old monkey bike around that needs an engine?

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Gamma Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:
I've noticed that lately there's a few of the old Suzuki RG250 engines coming up on Ebay. I don't pay any attention to the full bikes as they fetch far too much "vintage" money these days but there does seem to be a few engines cropping up. Very small, will fit into anything, and as far as I remember were about 45HP. Surely somebody's got an old monkey bike around that needs an engine?

It's a shit engine (a tuned / watercooled development of the X7 which was never a strong engine anyway). Most of them I bet have come out of chassis in favour of LC / YPVS lumps.

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

X7 not strong!!???? CB250 a shit heap!!!???? You are trampling all over my youth!!!! FWIW, they were both the class leaders in their day, all without trickery or fragility. Maybe its that they were actually usable and reliable that you object to?

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The X7 was never as good as the RD250. Sure it was lighter and possibly a bit quicker, but crap build quality and worse handling. The Yamaha is much stronger and easier to tune (as it's based on a proper racing engine).

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimate entertaining smaller bike has to be a 350 YPVS. Mine still makes me laugh in my helmet every time I ride it. Still valid on a twisty B road against anything.

OGR

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
Ultimate entertaining smaller bike has to be a 350 YPVS. Mine still makes me laugh in my helmet every time I ride it. Still valid on a twisty B road against anything.

OGR

Stephen's stage 3 tune and Stephens/Lomas spannies, and it's even more fun Twisted Evil Oh, and if you then accidentally put the power valve back in the wrong way round Whistle it's mad as a box of hatters (if a tad gutless at low revs Laughing ).
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had great fun on an RXS100, which I would choose to use rather than the ZZR6 I also had at the time.

The fact that it was so ridiculously small for my 6'6" body and super lightweight, and you could cane it thru the gears all the time was awesome. Good in ice/snow too!

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend I sometimes ride with who has a R125. Aside from thinking it's got the same block as an R1 as it says 1000cm3 on one of the case covers (it's the oil capacity) it's surprisingly brisk with an obscene pipe an ECU flash and some badly explained tinkering. I'm not sure he understands what was done, but he paid a fuckton for it to be done.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3