BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Entertaining Smaller Bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think they get the best out of 15bhp, which most manufacturers 125's these days don't. A true light weight 125 with a well specced chassis and tyre sizes available in sticky choices along with reasonable aerodynamics and being overbraked for the weight/performance helps them.

I do get what you mean though as apparently thrashed properly through the gears 70mph+ on the speedo at least is not a once in a blue moon occurance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:11 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how you define best, I wouldn't say getting a few more bhp over a CG, at the expense of engine life (alleged <30k) is anything to be proud off. There are a few 'full power' 125s I would have, that would not be one of them. I appreciate when you're 17 the fact it looks like a big bike will clinch it.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is that a piped and mapped 125 R1 Laughing will probably run to those 30k miles+, with only routine servicing.

You have no chance of maintaining full crispness of a much spicier discontinued 125 for 30k without intensive spanner work, and if similarly tuned or more because it's easier to do so, then life is measured more likely by the duration of a full moon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:49 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjdugen wrote:
For the price of these 'modern' 250 - 300's you could have a Honda cb250 K2 K3. There's a good reason that they are popular in the classic race scene, they go rather well! (And they look like a proper bike!)

Ah yes - how I miss my G5 250 from years ago. '74 model, it was nice to ride (commute from Berinsfield to Cowley nightly), virtually vibes-free with the balancer, which my current 250 ain't got, and a teensy bit more top end.
But - the current bike is nimble, slim (great for filtering) and smart off the mark at the lights to really hack off the car brigade. Runs out of puff though after 75 and very slow then to get to its maximum.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironic that we're here talking positively about bikes with smaller capacity engines.

So many times in so many threads people spout the hate for smaller bike and say how shit they are because they don't have a gazillions of bhp Confused

Long live the 250 ! Thumbs Up Smile

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
So many times in so many threads people spout the hate for smaller bike and say how shit they are because they don't have a gazillions of bhp Confused

I have a genuine hatred of 125s as the restricted ones available are just that little bit to small to be anything other than crap.
IMO 20hp is the bare minimum for anything safe in modern traffic.

I have very positive memories of 250-500cc bikes, even a few 175/185cc bikes (although I wouldn't want a 175/185 for anything other than green lanes now).
I do look at Suzi GT250s and Kawa KH250s on the bay occasionally but I've no reason for another bike...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely don't have any appetite for another 4-stroke (or even restricted 2-stroke) 125, and I won't in 20 years time either Smile Bikes like the Duke 200 show what they could be if it wasn't for licensing laws (if the 250 limit still existed for example).
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but that sounds like opinionated bollocks @(Alpine Andy)
There ain't that much difference between 12/15bhp and 20bhp tbh. Its power to weight that matters and especially on small low power bikes. A 20bhp 150kg bike is crap to ride compared to a 12bhp 90kg bike.

Anyway less than 20bhp/125's being crap in traffic? I assume you mean in faster moving traffic like busy dual carriageways, motorways or fast A-road? In a stop start 20-30mph city a 12bhp bike is as good as a 100bhp bike.

Anyway I've had fun on all kinds of 125's two and four stroke. None are magical or light years ahead of each other either.
I've also found the way to have fun on light and low powered bikes is spend as much time avoiding traffic totally if possible. That's what I don't my 125anyway.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Entertaining Smaller Bikes Reply with quote

kraggem wrote:
Evening all,

The biggest issue with it is overtakes as cars are often slower in the bends. The opportunities are there but it generally means a long straight (and a cooperative driver!), nipping them mid corner or a bit of a run up which means getting stuck through some of the more twisty bits. A 250 would probably fix this problem most of the time.

I know lots of other folk here enjoy smaller bikes or lesser powered bikes also - so which bikes in the 250-400cc range (or similar in power levels) do you find most enjoyable?

both my beta and my crf are highly enjoyable to ride on the right sort of back roads, crappy country roads are the best Thumbs Up

RodYork
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:34 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moo. wrote:
I have two TTR 250s that i use for commuting and green laning. Nice nimble little bike that has a fair bit of poke, around 25bhp. One is fitted with road tyres and the other knobblies. Can overtake the cars well! It's a really fun bike to throw about, it narrow and tall and doesn't weigh much at all

The TTR is a really under rated bike, although it ticks all the boxes.
1.It can easily cruise at motorway speeds
2.They are (relatively)rare to find in decent condition- but once sought- part availability is excellent.
3.They can be used as a genuine all rounder bike- off road & onroad
4.They are tall with a good road presence
5.Average tank range (9ltr) but can be extended with larger tanks to from the RAID TTR- BUT...they sip fuel- so 250+miles from a tank is easily achievable...that's the same range as a BMW 1200!!!!
6.While the engine is over engineered for a 250cc bike- they are remarkably simple to work upon
7.They can be lowered/raised to suit riders both small (5ft 5") to big (6ft+)
8.They have a long pedigree spanning some 25+yrs ..3 models in 25+ yrs suggests Yamaha got it right
9. The known problems they have are all relatively easy to identify & fix...except the speedo which is just ridiculously over priced
10. Some are oil cooled & kick start also.
11they are remarkably light also- so the power to weight ratio is very good.
11.Engine reliability is excellent 130,000+ miles achieved by some (see 6)

These bikes have been used by relatively few people for round the world trips...they are under rated

Tell me any 250cc (4 stroke)bike that gets near them or add on any other "wish lists or must haves" for a 250cc bike- i'm sure others will have other priorities..

Last edited by RodYork on 00:07 - 26 Jul 2017; edited 2 times in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:37 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I like them as I can reach the floor on one. Rare thing for me on that style of bike.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
I have a friend I sometimes ride with who has a R125. Aside from thinking it's got the same block as an R1 as it says 1000cm3 on one of the case covers (it's the oil capacity) it's surprisingly brisk with an obscene pipe an ECU flash and some badly explained tinkering. I'm not sure he understands what was done, but he paid a fuckton for it to be done.

I had plenty of shits and giggles on my R125 tbh. You have to pick the right roads to do so though.

The only issue is that the engines tend to go bang far too soon.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Sorry but that sounds like opinionated bollocks @(Alpine Andy)
There ain't that much difference between 12/15bhp and 20bhp tbh. Its power to weight that matters and especially on small low power bikes. A 20bhp 150kg bike is crap to ride compared to a 12bhp 90kg bike.

I'm not sure why you suddenly made up some weights but if we're playing with numbers, lets say a 20hp bike weights 200kg or would you like to make that more.... does that make you feel better...

A decent 125-2stroke wouldn't be bad other than I wouldn't want to scream the bollocks off the bike in general usage, so I guess as a pure fun bike then maybe, but there again a 50 or 80cc Kriedler GP bike may be fun round Cadwell for a lap or two, but not in general usage.

As for 125-4stroke bikes. That's my opinion (as I did say!)
I don't want to ride everywhere at full throttle and still get in the way of other road users. The torque on a 250+ generally means that doesn't happen.

Opinion yes. Bollocks no.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:

I have a genuine hatred of 125s as the restricted ones available are just that little bit to small to be anything other than crap.
IMO 20hp is the bare minimum for anything safe in modern traffic.

I don't really agree, although I see where you're coming from. For a learner perhaps they're not ideal as I certainly found the bigger bikes easier and more confidence inspiring when wobbling about on the road. I'd like to see a slightly higher limit for learners.

Now though I have no issues at all on my CG in most traffic. I'm normally travelling faster than most of the cars and it's great fun when you're able to ride it progressively because of the extra work and planning involved. It's not ideal on motorways (but can manage most around here if necessary, it'll keep up with traffic in lane 1) or faster dual carriageways but it does just about cope. I have no trouble on any single carriageway road and on all but the fastest/straightest/steep ones I'm usually still travelling quicker than most cars. The problem is getting an overtake in - there's nothing left in reserve and the cars always accelerate on the straights. If there is a faster car, I let them pass. Making progress doesn't require full throttle all the time although I do find it hard to resist ragging it a lot of the time.

So, I find my CG perfectly adequate and pretty entertaining in most traffic - that's why I still have it and often choose it over my larger machines, particularly when commuting. It's certainly not dangerous, although having experience helps greatly. All that said, did I not already own it I would probably be looking at a 250+ if I wanted another small bike. Just for that little bit of extra go and confidence when it's needed.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:34 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Entertaining Smaller Bikes Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
[
both my beta and my crf are highly enjoyable to ride on the right sort of back roads, crappy country roads are the best Thumbs Up

How do you find the CRF generally? I've been keen on them for a while but wasn't sure if it offered quite enough performance for it's weight compared to other some of the other options.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:26 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraggem wrote:
[Argle blarble] All that said, did I not already own it I would probably be looking at a 250+ if I wanted another small bike. Just for that little bit of extra go and confidence when it's needed.

Well, exactly. With a very few exceptions like the MSX and possibly the Van-Van, would anyone with a full licence really put their money where their mouth is and buy a new 125 for road use in $CURRENT_YEAR?

secretagentmo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:18 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I just think they get the best out of 15bhp, which most manufacturers 125's these days don't. A true light weight 125 with a well specced chassis and tyre sizes available in sticky choices along with reasonable aerodynamics and being overbraked for the weight/performance helps them.

I do get what you mean though as apparently thrashed properly through the gears 70mph+ on the speedo at least is not a once in a blue moon occurance.

I had 70mph on the speedo of my YB100 once, on the A47 heading to Wisbech!

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed my 400 Hondamatic and would have kept it, had it not been so old, rare and pricey to get parts for. At 25HP it was just about quick enough. It was more of a cruiser though, you couldn't even work through the gears to earn your fun because it only had 2. at 60mph+ it was like sitting on a washing machine, but it was the simplest of machines and perfect for a lazy trundle across the moors.

I'd liken it to my late Grandad (mother's side). Slow and sometimes grumpy, crippled with arthritis but full of character.

If I wanted a smaller cc bike again, I'd certainly go for a sportage 250 or similar. I think handling can more than make up for reduced power.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:31 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Entertaining Smaller Bikes Reply with quote

kraggem wrote:
thx1138 wrote:
[

How do you find the CRF generally? I've been keen on them for a while but wasn't sure if it offered quite enough performance for it's weight compared to other some of the other options.

Well, it is a little lacking on the open road. It is heavy, but only noticed when I'm trying to pick it up out of a ditch, or make pace over very bumpy trails. They can be modified, a lot, but mine is 98% standard, got an mx clutch and gear lever though.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How has no one mentioned the 250 4 stroke sports from the late 80's and early 90's yet?

40-45 hp and 150kg on small tyres, and ignition cutoffs between 19 and 21k rpm.

They are the ultimate 250 4 stroke machines and make all the modern stuff look like they have lawnmower engines by comparison.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:39 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
How has no one mentioned the 250 4 stroke sports from the late 80's and early 90's yet?

40-45 hp and 150kg on small tyres, and ignition cutoffs between 19 and 21k rpm.

Hmm, I was considering a GPX250R which claims north of 40hp and still manages to be 10kg lighter than the more modern Ninja 250.

Sadly, I Sensibled Out and went for the newer, lower mileage alternative, but I do find myself wondering how much larks the older ruffian model might be.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having ridden a few of them, the CBR250RR and the FZR250 are my favourites, and I own a CBR now. Close second to those two is the ZXR-250, the GSX-R 250 was a bit of a let down, and trails the other 3, with an odd, almost electric power delivery. It pales in comparison to the top heavy, banshee wail delivery of the others.

Never ridden the Gpz, but being a twin i'm guessing it'll have a little more stomp than the others, with a bit more torque but the top end is more like 95 than 120. When you have little weight and a motor that begs to be revved (and needs to be revved to get anywhere, believe peak power on the CBR is 16,000 rpm) you find yourself flying everywhere. I'm far more likely to lose my licence on the 250 than my turbo haha.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
kraggem wrote:
[Argle blarble] All that said, did I not already own it I would probably be looking at a 250+ if I wanted another small bike. Just for that little bit of extra go and confidence when it's needed.

Well, exactly. With a very few exceptions like the MSX and possibly the Van-Van, would anyone with a full licence really put their money where their mouth is and buy a new 125 for road use in $CURRENT_YEAR?

Most wouldn't but that doesn't make 125s dangerous or mean that they hold up all other traffic even on full throttle as was earlier suggested.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 274 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3