Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What would you say to a younger you?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take BJJ from a young age, it will help with your extreme shyness and social anxiety.

---

School: When the girl you really REALLY fancy says she wants to go out with you... just do something about it. Don't avoid her and clam up and turn into a mute. You will regret that for the rest of your life.

(Weird what people hold on to, I still think about it)

---

University: Your housemate that looks a spit of Kate Lawler wants to bang you. When she's drunk she comes into your bedroom, she doesn't want to sleep you idiot. Also when a girl grinds your crotch in a slightly drunken state it is also an invitation.

...and when she invites all her hot mates over for the weekend, and she asks you to help her and her mate choose lingerie the right move is to go for it... you daft cunt.... I could punch you so hard in the face.

-----

The hot girl at your toga party in last year of uni, she came with her twat of a boyfriend but tried to lead you up to your room... the answer is always yes. She was smoking hot, her BF was a cock!

-----

Don't be a walkover.

-----

Don't go to the dentist in Llandybie when you smash your face into a car and lose a few teeth. He doesn't believe in anaesthetic and will be struck off. This will be the most painful event in your life.

-----

14 Pills in a night will lead to a trip to the hospital after your first ever panic attack. You will get a panic disorder and extreme anxiety. It will teach you a lot but go see a therapist as soon as you can, still worth doing as it pushed you into the best experiences of your life.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:12 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
Take BJJ from a young age, it will help with your extreme shyness and social anxiety.

---

School: When the girl you really REALLY fancy says she wants to go out with you... just do something about it. Don't avoid her and clam up and turn into a mute. You will regret that for the rest of your life.

(Weird what people hold on to, I still think about it)

---

University: Your housemate that looks a spit of Kate Lawler wants to bang you. When she's drunk she comes into your bedroom, she doesn't want to sleep you idiot. Also when a girl grinds your crotch in a slightly drunken state it is also an invitation.

...and when she invites all her hot mates over for the weekend, and she asks you to help her and her mate choose lingerie the right move is to go for it... you daft cunt.... I could punch you so hard in the face.

-----

The hot girl at your toga party in last year of uni, she came with her twat of a boyfriend but tried to lead you up to your room... the answer is always yes. She was smoking hot, her BF was a cock!

-----

Don't be a walkover.

-----

Don't go to the dentist in Llandybie when you smash your face into a car and lose a few teeth. He doesn't believe in anaesthetic and will be struck off. This will be the most painful event in your life.

-----

14 Pills in a night will lead to a trip to the hospital after your first ever panic attack. You will get a panic disorder and extreme anxiety. It will teach you a lot but go see a therapist as soon as you can, still worth doing as it pushed you into the best experiences of your life.

In other words, don't do drugs kids, but shag everything you can get hold of.

Thinking

Do antibiotics count as drugs? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

In other words, don't do drugs kids, but shag everything you can get hold of.

Thinking

Do antibiotics count as drugs? Laughing

Nope I advocate the drugs. They were awesome.. even the ones that fucked me up.. wouldn't change that experience.

Yeah, shag everything you can get a hold of. Brick Wall

What a waste.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:28 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:

Nope I advocate the drugs. They were awesome.. even the ones that fucked me up.. wouldn't change that experience.

What a waste.

So what you're saying is, shag everything you can get hold of, do drugs and don't go to the dentist?

Can I call you Dad? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Bubbs wrote:

What a waste.

So what you're saying is, shag everything you can get hold of, do drugs and don't go to the dentist?

Can I call you Dad? Laughing

It's the secret to a good productive life my son.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:37 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Not that it's happened to me yet but apparently it's a pet hate of programmers, when a non-programming chum rocks up with their big idea that'll make millions: "You do all the work and I'll take the intellectual rights to the idea." Almost everything has been done before or is actually a terrible idea. The 'relatively simple' stuff these days is done by hobbyists in their spare time for fun or for self-motivated CV material. I made a relatively simple budgeting app for Android, plus a couple of other things, which I'm fairly certain is what got me my current job.

As far as I can tell in my noob experience, the majority of actual programming work seems to be aimed at organisations who want some software, an app or website to complement their real-life product or service, with actual substance, that isn't contained solely within an application or website. E.g. the place I'm at now is working on a big new website for a school.

I think the app scene's saturated now, even if you did come up with something it'll be copied and done better in no time at all. A few years back maybe, can't remember the name but that app which applied filters to images, and was bought up for an insane amount of money.

What seems to hold the value (in terms of selling out) is a user base, which isn't cheap to maintain.

angryjonny wrote:
Your gut instinct is usually right. Listen to it.

^ this.

Bubbs wrote:

What a waste.

^ and this Laughing Mainly cos the pool of err.. suitable mates (without 1700 kids) drops exponentially as you get older.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
As far as I can tell in my noob experience, the majority of actual programming work seems to be aimed at organisations who want some software, an app or website to complement their real-life product or service, with actual substance, that isn't contained solely within an application or website. E.g. the place I'm at now is working on a big new website for a school.

Having been in the business since the tail end of the last century, all I'd say is this: things change. Boom times are over. No more 50m venture capital for an idea scrawled on a napkin.

Currently 2 ways to make money in software. Sell a few massive systems for a lot of money or sell a tiny app a few million times.

The latter is getting harder because everyone is trying it. The former is getting harder because companies are getting more savvy about where the money goes. You need references, testimonials from other customers etc so it's a bit chicken-and-egg, and with customers demanding 24x7 support, software-as-a-service, it's hard to do as a one-man-band. Also requires a huge investment of effort up front for no reward and wall-to-wall testing.

Technologies change. Keep up, or coast to retirement handholding a dwindling set of legacy systems into the grave.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:12 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:

Currently 2 ways to make money in software.

Is there any way to make money any more, without doing computery things? Any way at all? Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:26 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Household trades, although you'd need a tolerance for humanity that I couldn't muster.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
What a waste.

Most of us have missed out on that one.

One of my school mates never had that problem.
He'd go for anything female (OK a bit picky then) but that was pretty much his only 'filter'.
He had a real thing for blondes, where if you were standing in the middle of an actual pig farm and put a blond wig on a pig, then he'd forget the location and think it was the sexiest girl he'd ever seen... Laughing
Anyway, he's got 3 ex-girlfriends looking after his 5 (I think) kids and he's always broke paying child maintenance.
I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few more of his offspring about but this was in the days before mobile phones, so they probably couldn't find him when they needed to...
and IIRC he did like changing his name when he could Wink

So yes, I'd tell the younger me to have 'Safe Sex' at any and every opportunity.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:03 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
Anyway, he's got 3 ex-girlfriends looking after his 5 (I think) kids and he's always broke paying child maintenance.

His genes have propagated though, and worst case, the welfare state (i.e. you and I) will step in and raise his little r-selected poon-hounds and cockholsters.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
His genes have propagated though, and worst case, the welfare state (i.e. you and I) will step in and raise his little r-selected poon-hounds and cockholsters.

True, but his dick has run his life and in many ways it's ruined it as well...

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:29 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont cheat on your (now ex) gf. fucked me up for a long time that did. both before and after I told her

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:45 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
Bubbs wrote:
What a waste.

Most of us have missed out on that one.

One of my school mates never had that problem.
He'd go for anything female (OK a bit picky then) but that was pretty much his only 'filter'.
He had a real thing for blondes, where if you were standing in the middle of an actual pig farm and put a blond wig on a pig, then he'd forget the location and think it was the sexiest girl he'd ever seen... Laughing
I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few more of his offspring about but this was in the days before mobile phones, so they probably couldn't find him when they needed to...
and IIRC he did like changing his name when he could Wink

So yes, I'd tell the younger me to have 'Safe Sex' at any and every opportunity.

Laughing I was going to quantify that with but wear a rubber. One of my exes has 3 kids, another one bred soon after (but not so soon I have anything to worry about), so definitely dodged a major bullet or two.

AshWebster wrote:
dont cheat on your (now ex) gf. fucked me up for a long time that did. both before and after I told her

Ok Bobbitt.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:

Having been in the business since the tail end of the last century, all I'd say is this: things change. Boom times are over. No more 50m venture capital for an idea scrawled on a napkin.

Currently 2 ways to make money in software. Sell a few massive systems for a lot of money or sell a tiny app a few million times.

The latter is getting harder because everyone is trying it. The former is getting harder because companies are getting more savvy about where the money goes. You need references, testimonials from other customers etc so it's a bit chicken-and-egg, and with customers demanding 24x7 support, software-as-a-service, it's hard to do as a one-man-band. Also requires a huge investment of effort up front for no reward and wall-to-wall testing.

Technologies change. Keep up, or coast to retirement handholding a dwindling set of legacy systems into the grave.

I'd never try getting into app development if the aim were just to win on downloads and ad revenue.

What about web development sort of stuff? Where I'm working it's all about websites, back-end databases and all the bits in-between. New territory for me but I'm learning tons as I go. Doesn't really feel like this can die out any time soon because new businesses come and go every year, and a lot do well enough to want web stuff sorted professionally, so the market should be reasonably buoyant... or so I believe?

Note I'm in China and hoping to stay here for the foreseeable future so any outsourcing that happens will only make things better for me. Perhaps this is where a new boom is soon to happen. Just mentioned this in another thread but it's worth throwing in here too - the place I work is a newly built software park.

15 years ago this was fields and farms. Most of the offices are filled now.

https://himg2.huanqiu.com/attachment2010/2017/0219/20170219060733981.jpg

Sorry a bit off-topic. Just found that picture and thought it looked cool so wanted to share it and humble brag about the cool new place I work at

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:50 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Percy, are you in China? Laughing

Lord Percy wrote:
and humble brag about the cool new place I work at

I think that's partly why I do my touring threads. Don't have much else to brag about Sad
(Not suggesting you don't Smile )

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:59 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The proper code monkeys will know (my experience's limited to hacking together websites Shifty), but the trend seems to be moving away from fully functional websites (you'd access on a PC etc.), and more towards mobile ones. I know lots of people who would have had a PC or laptop years ago that exclusively use a tablet now.

I don't like it personally, outlook/live mail/hotmail/msn has progressively turned to shit, to the point where you can't believe anyone actually signs off on it. The remaining fully functional desktop sites seem to be legacy products, every thing new seems to be mobile friendly and severely lacking in features.

P.S. China looks cool, watch out for ladyboys.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:00 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I can't imagine making a living parasiting from the miserable failures of society.

Not as bad as it you make it sound. Dance!

chickenstrip wrote:
Is there any way to make money any more, without doing computery things? Any way at all? Rolling Eyes

Whistle Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:29 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

chickenstrip wrote:

Whistle Wink

Confused Whistling? I can play a bit of guitar (you hum it, son...).

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
What about web development sort of stuff? Where I'm working it's all about websites, back-end databases and all the bits in-between. New territory for me but I'm learning tons as I go. Doesn't really feel like this can die out any time soon because new businesses come and go every year, and a lot do well enough to want web stuff sorted professionally, so the market should be reasonably buoyant... or so I believe?

Depends what you mean by "web development"

Once upon a time there was a market in writing web sites for companies who wanted a web presence. There's still a market in there of sorts, but these days any Tom, Dick or Harry can use 1and1 or Google sites to put together something competent enough to publish their plumbing company's phone number and hotmail address along with a couple of pictures of their van. So the days of earning a living playing in Dreamweaver and Photoshop from your bedroom are fast disappearing.

Web application development, however, is growing. IT departments hate client-server so it's becoming more and more common for even corporate applications to run in a browser these days. The trick now is developing apps that can run in the cloud to reduce capex costs and in a PaaS model or even a SaaS model to reduce ongoing running costs. We've been going that way for a few years - when we started customers were a bit iffy about the cloud, but now they demand it. Big shift in 36 months or so.

Which brings me onto: security. That's where the money is going to be over the next decade. Ethical hacking, knowledge of all the gotchas that you can prevent companies from making, etc. Growing market, and that'll only increase as people stick more and more critical systems in someone else's datacentre.

Essentially, a big shift in software is that 15-20 years ago you could be any old cowboy and earn a living selling some Excel add-in to small manufacturers etc. Now it's becoming more and more formal, as IT systems become more and more critical, so unless you're very lucky you'll be an employee of a corporate dinosaur rather than a small business owner.

</TechnoTef>

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hot girl you will spend hours chatting to, at silly o'clock, in your room in student halls? Man up. Yes, she's interested, go for it!
The same hot girl twenty years later you get together with?
When she asks you to marry her, say yes you fucking idiot! She won't wait forever.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these stories of missed sex. Wub

That au pair (not the blonde) do not have sex with her. Even though she will kiss like an angel and seduce you you must resist...Oh sod it...What's the point...Just be prepared for some backlash..but good news is you are not the father.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:26 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Would you say it's actually so bad that there's no point getting into it? Or is it simply that it isn't as good as before, but still it's not that bad compared to a lot of other areas? Specially for a computer nerd who's spent enough years in front of a screen that he'd gladly be paid any reasonable sum for it anyway.

Difficult to say, just don't expect it to be long term well paying. Things change to quickly (often for little real reason, sometimes as those making the decisions have no idea of long term maintenance), added to which places wanting combinations of technilogies which are not always that common.

Lord Percy wrote:
Fair points. Good thing I'm in China then Dance! (for now).

Maybe, but China costs are going up so expect the work to go to cheaper places.

OK, small companies will probably want someone local, but then their budgets are tiny and their site requirements something that a passable graphics bod with Wordpress can knock up quickly.

M.C wrote:

Anyhoo what I was getting at was surely you code monkeys could produce something relatively simple, not a full on social network, but something like the keep calm carry on app. I have lots of ideas if you're willing to do literally all the work and share 50% of the profits:

Point was that a full on social network is not really that technically difficult. Bit time consuming but nothing too frightening. That is the easy bit.

The difficult bit is getting enough people to notice it and use it to make it worthwhile.

M.C wrote:
The Careful now app - monitors your driving in real time and tells you what highway code rule you've infringed upon. Feedback's exclusively in Klingon.

And I wonder how much research goes in to any of these things to know the difference between driving slowly and driving safely Laughing

All the best

Katy

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would tell a 24 hour younger me not to eat the tandoori chicken

It really wasn't a good idea Sick Sick

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:59 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: obviously Reply with quote

I'd rob the bastard at gunpoint.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 266 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6