Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First time on motorway coming up. Any tips?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:43 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: First time on motorway coming up. Any tips? Reply with quote

Hi Wink

So I got my 600 yesterday, and I have a trip to see my daughter in Plymouth planned for in 2 weeks. This will be a 5 hour motorway trip, plus cig breaks at every service station between here (Preston) and there. I'm not a car driver, so this will be my first ever ride on a motorway without being a passenger.

As the weather looks good today, I'm going to have a practice on the motorway. I will be taking it nice and easy, and riding from Preston to Blackpool and back a few times, just to get the general gist of it. It's a very straight 10 miles or so of M55, but may be quite busy due to school holidays.

I've had a good search on here, on You Tube, and read the relevant section of my Police Riders Motorcycle Roadcraft book. Main things seem to be getting the speed correct for joining and leaving the motorway, plenty of forward and rear obs, and correct clothing. Is there anything else I need to specifically look out for?

I'm an awful car passenger on the motorway. Seeing random skid marks and bits of tyre on the hard shoulder has me expecting a crash any second Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:49 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much stay awake, leave gaps, watch for cars doing random lane changes (especially around junctions where cars in lane 3 decide they need to leave with about 50m to go, or where joiners /have/ to get into lane 3 /now/ regardless of anything already in on the road).

And also look well ahead, position yourself so you can see the tail lights of cars as far up the road as possible so you are ready when it all comes to a stop rather than reacting to the brake lights of the car in front.

Trying to stay awake and alert is the biggest issue, but regular stretch and fag breaks will help.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:51 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safe as houses. Don't sweat it. Gas it down the slip road, join then find your comfortable speed, then it's just a case of not falling asleep.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:55 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, motorways are the safest roads to drive/ride on in terms of accidents per mile. They are an easy and boring way to get quickly from A to B.

The danger point is when vehicles start changing speed. Then people do stuipd things like swapping lanes without indicating and dabbing the brakes. braking can cause a concertina effect so you can be on free flowing motorway one minute then suddenly come up into stationary traffic.

So look well ahead and if you see brake lights or traffic bunching (or signs tell you bunching traffic is likely like a lane closure approaching or overhead gantry signs showing a speed limit) be Johnny on the spot, change down a gear, lots of obs and keep an eye out for escape routes.

If traffic looks like it's slowing to a stop, do NOT be at the back, immediately filter forwards at least 5 or 6 car lengths so if a half asleep Elbonian lorry driver who has driven all the way from Prague on pro plus ploughs into the back of it, you aren't involved.

Lifesavers before each and every lane change. You may think you're going fast when a repmobile comes honking up the fast lane out of nowhere. Beware Audis, they do not indicate.

Fuel at motorway services is extortionate, fill up off the motorway.

TL;DR 1) Watch out for stupidity in any situation where traffic is slowing. 2) Lifesavers before changing lanes. 3) Don't be at the back of a queue of traffic.

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:00 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

If traffic looks like it's slowing to a stop, do NOT be at the back, immediately filter forwards at least 5 or 6 car lengths so if a half asleep Elbonian lorry driver who has driven all the way from Prague on pro plus ploughs into the back of it, you aren't involved.

Excellent! Thank you for that. It's something I hadn't even thought of, but now I recall seeing some pretty nasty pics of cars squashed into a 1 foot cube by exactly that. I imagine me and my bike would be a 1 inch slab.

Thanks guys. Plenty of pro-plus and coffee added to check list.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:10 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay far enough back that you can see both wing mirrors on the vehicle in front. If you can't see them, they can't see you - particularly with lorries, vans and other large vehicles with no rear-view mirror.
Also, keep in mind that while leaving a good distance is advised, someone will see it as an opportunity to change lanes.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, be aware of the troughs that lorries can cause in the left lane. Can make the bike feel slightly funny if you have not been on the motorway before. Even more important to be aware of these in the rain. Thumbs Up

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boredom's the biggest problem on motorways, do the odd overtake to keep your brain in gear.

DVSA Derek
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:21 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use your mirrors often and regularly. Keep up to date with whats going on behind you, this could mean a repeating cycle of observation to the horizon, through the middle distance back to the back, through the bike and into what you can see in the mirrors. Constant scanning and planning. Don't just mindlessly stare at the car in front.

DO NOT ride next to lorries in queues off traffic moving at approx the same speed. If you find yourself stuck next to one, drop back.

Motorway riding is very safe, the trick is to give yourself room and time to deal with anything and not let anyone catch you by surprise - all round awareness from as far ahead as you can see to as far behind you as you can see.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
do the odd overtake to keep your brain in gear.

Is that like a normal overtake but doing something like standing on the saddle, or lying flat on the saddle with your legs off the back superman style? I can see that that would help to keep you awake.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorways are boring as fuck. As stinky says do your shoulder checks, and maybe order a cramp buster now Smile At least you have a fairing so won't have the wind trying to part you from your bike.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having ANY motorway experience and then going for it on a bike is an example I've not seen before - well done! 😎

Treat it as a dual carriage way - left lane driving, lane 2 overtake then immediately back to the left lane (shoulder checks each time).

When the traffic bunches up in lane 2 and 3 with the rep-mobiles an inch off each other's bumpers... just sail past in lane 1 whilst being aware cars stuck in lane 2 may well dive into lane 1 at little or no notice.

On that long a journey you don't need to speed there at 90-100, you can take your time and STILL be there hours before a car that left at the same time as you. 👍

Tl:dr - watch out for cagers changing lanes. Enjoy the ride by not rushing and getting stressed out.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Not having ANY motorway experience and then going for it on a bike is an example I've not seen before - well done! 😎

My first time was coming back from my test Whistle

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

My first time was coming back from my test Whistle

You passed I assume 😂

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm prepared for mocking, but I've been riding about 6 years now, 4 of those on a 125, I don't believe I've ever been on a motorway yet.
Unless my instructor took me on one and I didn't realise, I know examiners don't but do instructors take noobs to motorways?
They did take me on 1 road which was NSL, huge slipsroads and signs above, but I don't understand roads enough to know. Laughing

Honestly I've just never had to, I only ride with others, they choose the routes and my mates don't like motorways.
After this long avoiding them I can't say I'm looking forward to the prospect though.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect cars and vans to swoop across all lanes for an exit at the very last moment - often as if you weren't there. Don't get wound up by others doing stupid things just shrug it off, and expect more to follow.

if in lane two watch out for good samaritans suddenly moving over to let joining traffic in. This is a kind action but sometimes they are less aware of you on the other side.
Speaking of which beware of running alongside anything when you might conceivably be in a blind spot.

Bear in mind when it gets congested that a gap you are moving into might be about to be taken by another vehicle from the other side.
Watch out for over-confident bikers filtering rather too fast. Rolling Eyes

Stopping distances get deceiving, after a while 90 does not feel very fast but if everything suddenly stops you need to be ready for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smooth lane changes, no flicking in and out, You'll spook a car into doing something daft or clip cats eye. Smooth is key.

As above, keep an eye on your mirrors, also keep your vision up and forwards. Looking for road debris / brake lights / traffic slowing and keep an eye out for idiots undertaking in lane 1 doing well into 3 figures. Oh and nutters on bikes.

Reset your trip counter each time you fill up Smile

Ear plugs if you have them and make sure your visor seals nicely against your lid.

If you must fill at fuel stations on the motorway, watch out for fuel leaks both around the pumps and in the gutters as you leave the fuel station.

Last but not least, make sure your gear is comfy / adjusted / not flapping before you get going, nothing worse than being irritated by stuff until the next chance to stop comes up.

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:34 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all sooo much for all the advice above. I really think motorways should be covered in DAS.

Well as it happens, I never got as far as the motorway today. When I chose the bike, we noticed it had a flat back tyre, so as part of the service & MOT the dealership sorted this out. They then called me last Thursday to say the valve was faulty and had replaced it so all was good. It was fine yesterday when I took it for a 30 mile spin.

This morning when I got it out to do my motorway adventure, I did the pre-ride checks and noticed the rear tyre was a little soft, but not being used to big bikes I didn't know if this is the norm. Then while riding the mile to the motorway I noticed a burning rubber smell, so decided to pull into a garage just to check the pressure. It was 13psi and should have been 36psi Shocked

Took it back to the dealership, and they are going to fit a new rear tyre on Monday, so I get to live for another 2 days without being pancaked by Boris from Boslatisgan Wink

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:16 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick scan through the thread saw no mention of crosswinds. Beware of large open expanses and crossing large bridges
that's usually where you'll get 'em. They can happen with no warning, are invisible (obviously) and can shove you quite
violently if you are half asleep. Also motorway rides are bad for squaring off tyres prematurely.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 02:07 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love a good blast down the M55 Very Happy my biggest gripe with motorway riding is the buffeting you get, it's hard work for your neck on long journies. It's the only thing I wasn't really prepared for. Apart from that it's just a straight road which you can sit at around 80 and just eat up the miles.

tactical_pancake
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:38 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done that stretch of the M6 liverpool - brum and M5 brum - exeter a fair few times. That M6 stretch can be busy and slow with roadworks (i.e. it really sucks), to the extent that I now take a non-motorway route (liverpool-tunnel-chester-nantwich) as it is more enjoyable and faster. Through brum is often bumper to bumper but it doesn't take all that long, then the M5 is great in comparison once you get out of brum, except around bristol. You can actually get some speed up between bristol and exeter though, this is more how motorways should be (in theory). Rolling Eyes

There are lots of lane narrowing 50mph average limits on the M6, and what makes it worse is there's lots of tar banding which is unpleasant especially in the rain, and will keep your sphincter twitching as you dice with Boris from Boslatisgan in his HGV Shocked . On top of that there's not much room to filter if it gets jammed.

Aside from that, as always, watch for enemy fighters, and pay particular attention at joining slip roads where cars and HGVs will happily side swipe into you (as drivers never check blind spots, and the unwritten rule that bigger vehicles have priority operates). You also have to avoid the vehicles frantically swerving out of the slow lane into the middle lane to avoid joiners, so be careful overtaking at the slip roads.

And leave plenty of time for your journey, the M6 can take a lot longer than the google maps time, particularly if you are new to motorways.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:07 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
On that long a journey you don't need to speed there at 90-100, you can take your time and STILL be there hours before a car that left at the same time as you. 👍

Hows that work then?
Riding at 70 on a bike is faster than 70 in a car?

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember the most important safety point of being on a motorway, this applies to both cars and bikes - but is easier to maintain on a bike.

Always make sure you are travelling faster than everyone else, that way you only have to look forwards. Thumbs Up
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:27 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a dual carriageway with an extra lane. I take it you're ok riding on them? If so a motorway is no different.

Enjoy.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:50 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to max the bike out in top when you get the chance - it's the whole point of motorways Twisted Evil
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 275 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2