Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MOT advisory guidance

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:22 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: MOT advisory guidance Reply with quote

Is this worth worrying about on a bike I'm looking at.

Jan 2017pass. Front suspension assembly has slight free play between the sliding members both front shock absorbers (2.3.4)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:30 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike?

Generic answer: Visually check the stanchions for corrosion and pitting where corrosion has been cleaned off. Bounce the forks and check for oil leaks round the seals. If you're suspicios, see if the dust seal looks like it's been lifted up to stick a rolled up J-cloth under it to soak up the oil temporarily.

Have a feel yourself, front wheel off the ground, grab the stanchions and pull back and forth to check for play.

If there is play but the stanchions look fine, budget for a fork rebuild. So a set of bushes, new fork oil and seals for each fork (plus labour if you're not doing it yourself). Use this as a bargaining point. If the stanchions are pitted, you may need those too which makes the job pretty expensive.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:33 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forks will need new seals and bushes probably in the near future. So budget in £100-150 to do this inc parts.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:20 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like an unusual thing for an MOT tester to notice, especially if they didn't note any oil misting or leaks.

Definitely check the forks yourself, but I wouldn't be astonished to find that they're OK, especially if the MOT was done at an unscrupulous dealer[*] fishing for work.

[*] But I repeat myself.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It seems like an unusual thing for an MOT tester to notice, especially if they didn't note any oil misting or leaks.

Definitely check the forks yourself, but I wouldn't be astonished to find that they're OK, especially if the MOT was done at an unscrupulous dealer[*] fishing for work.

[*] But I repeat myself.

Why would it be unusual, free play between all the suspension and steering components are testable and potentially failures?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:21 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: MOT advisory guidance Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
Is this worth worrying about on a bike I'm looking at.

Jan 2017pass. Front suspension assembly has slight free play between the sliding members both front shock absorbers (2.3.4)

What bike is it? While most do have replaceable fork bushes some don't

All the best

Katy

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:59 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Why would it be unusual

Without any associated oil leak.

But really it's because I've never had an MOT tester do anything beyond visually checking the forks for pitting and leaks. I think I'm fairly spoiled by my local MOT chap though. Whistle

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Shaft wrote:
Why would it be unusual

But really it's because I've never had an MOT tester do anything beyond visually checking the forks for pitting and leaks. I think I'm fairly spoiled by my local MOT chap though. Whistle

I'm not aware that play in fork bushes automatically implies an oil leak - fork seals need to be pliable, so they won't necessarily leak when there is detectable play in the bushes.

And yes, your tester is spoiling you, or, to put it another way, isn't doing his job properly and could be suspended/struck off, if he gets found out.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:10 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
And yes, your tester is spoiling you, or, to put it another way, isn't doing his job properly and could be suspended/struck off, if he gets found out

Question for you.

The chap I use is *very* thorough on brakes, lights if fitted (There's usually an Enduro bike or two in there), around the headstock area, makes sure nothing will fall off. This time he failed the bike before me on a disc being thin. However, he couldn't give 2 fucks about anything else though (My can is plenty loud, and the bike is pretty much a rat at this point, it looks like a fail even though nothing is a fail).

The chap with the town centre location - if it's not uber shiny and original, or a top-notch restoration, it's probably not going to pass, end of. He's notorious for it. He told me in passing in town, "never bring that for a ticket, it'll fail".

Who is killing the most kittens, in your opinion as an MOT tester?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:34 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

And yes, your tester is spoiling you, or, to put it another way, isn't doing his job properly and could be suspended/struck off, if he gets found out.

Last MOT I had done, the guy rode the bike round in a loop testing front and rear brake, bounced on the front forks a bit, stuck it back on its side stand and said 'it's fine, give me 10 minutes and I'll print your ticket'.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:03 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

my tester is about the same

left bike with him came back hour later after a cuppa and a sarnie bike was in exact same position I left it in and ticket was printed for me

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:42 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Shaft wrote:
Why would it be unusual

Mine usually gives them a few bounces. I did get told of for a small plate last time though. Crying or Very sad

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:41 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
I'm not aware that play in fork bushes automatically implies an oil leak - fork seals need to be pliable, so they won't necessarily leak when there is detectable play in the bushes.

Not necessarily, but I do find it surprising that a tester would pick up on one without seeing t'other. Definitely worth checking out the seals and bouncing the suspension repeatedly to see if anything leaks.

Shaft wrote:
And yes, your tester is spoiling you, or, to put it another way, isn't doing his job properly

He knows how to handle his testees.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:32 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, for the majority of riders with their head screwed on an MOT should just be a box ticking exercise, on a bike at least.

The fact of the matter is I wouldn't go back to a test centre that failed my bike on little things, or tested too thoroughly, when I know for a fact there are plenty out there that turn a blind eye to little things. What's the incentive to go to a place that'll fail me?

I've been returning to the same centre for the last 8 years or so because the tester checks the basics and leaves it at that. He doesn't care that my pipe is marked not for road use, and doesn't go over the bike with a fine tooth comb looking at every last detail.

He failed me once on my rear brake performance, he lent me the tools to bleed it, and passed it 10 minutes later.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:53 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine checks everything thoroughly but exercises the discretion he's allowed to exercise when it comes to failing or just giving an advisory.

He has in the past picked stuff up that I hadn't noticed. For example, he checked the brake discs by shining a drop light through them and picked up small cracks propogating from the drill holes on the rear disc.

He knows me so put this down as an advisory but verbally told me to ride it home without using the rear brake and not to move it again until it had a new disc on. He knows me and knows I'll do that. If it was someone he didn't know, it would have been put down as a fail.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:27 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the same for me. He gives it a good look over, especially the brakes and tyres, occasionally toots the horn, but doesn't go through the whole checklist.

The Nazi Tractor actually got the biggest going over. That got put on the brake tester and had the headlight alignment checked, he spent nearly 10 minutes on it. But then it is a BMW, failures would be expected.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Shaft wrote:
And yes, your tester is spoiling you, or, to put it another way, isn't doing his job properly and could be suspended/struck off, if he gets found out

Question for you.

The chap I use is *very* thorough on brakes, lights if fitted (There's usually an Enduro bike or two in there), around the headstock area, makes sure nothing will fall off. This time he failed the bike before me on a disc being thin. However, he couldn't give 2 fucks about anything else though (My can is plenty loud, and the bike is pretty much a rat at this point, it looks like a fail even though nothing is a fail).

The chap with the town centre location - if it's not uber shiny and original, or a top-notch restoration, it's probably not going to pass, end of. He's notorious for it. He told me in passing in town, "never bring that for a ticket, it'll fail".

Who is killing the most kittens, in your opinion as an MOT tester?

Interesting question and the short answer is, I think the guy that fails everything is worse.

The first thing to understand is that testers are actively encouraged to pass bikes - you are told this when you do the course and the rule of thumb is, if in doubt, advise and pass.

So, a tester who is looking to fail anything that is less than perfect, is not doing the job in the way the DVSA want him to. There is also an appeal system, so if anyone thinks they have been hard done by, they can complain and (potentially) get the decision overturned. Then the tester will get visits from on high, with all sorts of consequences.

On the other hand, testers who barely even look at the thing, I think are in a bad place morally.

From a business point of view, Mr Perfect is effectively turning away trade - he will have a reputation for failing the slightest thing, so the average guy (who probably isn't riding an immaculate machine) will not go there. I'd be interested to see where he makes his money, because clearly it isn't from MOT reparations and I doubt he's doing as many tests as he could.

The other guy is likely doing loads of tests, but he also isn't doing remedial work, because he passes everything.

In saying that, he sounds like he's being quite thorough, there isn't any stated minimum disc thickness, so it must've had some sort of wear indicator or been like a razor blade.

Personally, I look at everything - I do beam settings, use the wheel alignment jig and carry out proper brake tests, but then I take a view and if something is borderline and not dangerous, then it gets passed, particularly if it's clear the bike is generally well maintained.

As far as the loud pipe/titchy number plate thing goes, if you aren't blatently taking the piss (I draw the line at open pipes and single line or deliberately concealed plates) then I let it go, probably with an advise, if it's appropriate.

The last question I ask myself is, "Would I ride this thing and feel safe?" If the answer is affirmative, then it passes.

Quick story to finish - I've just done a test for a guy, the third year in succession. Every year the bike gets a little bit worse in certain areas, not dangerously, but it gets slightly harder to give him the benefit of the doubt. This time I told him if he doesn't spend some time and money on it, next year I'll condemn it, because I've reached the end of my moral tether.

Be interesting to see if he comes back.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disc had a bit of grooving, and a stated minimum stamped on it, which it was below, (I know the lad he failed, lent him a mic to double check it on at home). New disc on, back the next week, ticket sorted, no retest fee. He's decent, you won't ride out on anything dodgy, but he's not bothered about cans that much, looks, anything not related to the bike actually being safe or not. I've never seen him look at headlights beyond flicking high/low and making sure they don't wobble about.

Mr Perfect has had complaints (a fair few from what I hear), but I've no idea of what came of them bar one. He did fail a Rocket 3, and the guy had that complaint upheld, but I have no details past that. He's "established" and does restorations etc, that's where he makes money. His "cronies" all go there for everything, and you see a lot of older K100's, R65/85's etc outside.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1