Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What's up with Benly 4 speed and 5 speed gearboxes?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:36 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: What's up with Benly 4 speed and 5 speed gearboxes? Reply with quote

I don't know anything about smaller Honda twins or the Chinese clones of them really. I did just recently rebuild a Chinese 250 but it was so bloody easy to figure out I had no trouble at all.

There seems to have been both 4 speed and 5 speed Benly gearboxes. Are they interchangeable, even with the Chinese clone engines, and if so what are the good and bad points? I think I'd rather like a four speed gearbox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:14 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a 5speed I would stick with it, as not only are most Honda twins quite revvy, you were on about tuning your clone engine with big bore kits, cams and different carb set ups. The five speed box will suit a big bore or tuned engine better IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 03:47 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The five speed cluster wont fit in the 4-speed crank cases, AFAIK.
Not sure about the other ways about.
stevo as b4 wrote:
If you have a 5speed I would stick with it, as not only are most Honda twins quite revvy,

I have a feeling the 4-speed was only used on the CM/CD185 & 200... they are far from 'revvy! Peak power's about 8.5K OTMH, a push-rod CG is a bit of a screamer by comparison!

The 125's all have five cog boxed, and the 180 crank CB's are probably the revviest; red-lines at 12-13K and you can take them off the clock in the lower cogs, they seem happy enough to about 14K.

These, with both extra revs and extra power, should benefit from the 5-speed more than the others, where 5th is pretty much an over-drive.. but I'm a bit sanguine on it... 5th is a tad too tall to be all that much use very often; you have to thrash the knackers out of them in 4th to get them to top out at about 70, then you might pick up a couple of mph in 5th.

I dont think any of the big bore Benleys make peak power at five figure rpms, ad the soft cam profile does endow them with a pretty beefy low and mid-range; the CD200 motor I had in one of the S-D's for a while, with pretty wide spaced 4-speed, matched its poke pretty well, and didn't suffer from lack of a 5th.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:51 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Plus 1 on all the points made in Tef's post. I am assuming that as the transmissions in both the 125s and the 233s are largely identical, they are designed to cope with the awesome (sarcasm lol) power of the 233, so the 125 should last forever given regular oil changes and gentle use when gear-changing. My own LA250 suffered, before I acquired it, from catastrophic 3rd gear failure (2 1/2 teeth off one of the cogs), presumably from bad operation from a PO, as the remainder of the engine looked very good, inc. ring gaps etc. No appreciable oil consumption. The transmission developed a whine in 4th soon after I put it back on the road after replacing the pair of 3rd gears, and I then obtained a low mileage transmission assembly from Germany and fitted it all except the 3rd gears. No problems since. I regularly wring the neck of this poor little bike, and I do find that it can achieve almost as much speed in 4th as 5th.

Sorry - just realised I hijacked the original topic. So - back to the Benly. Regarding the parts interchangeability - simple, on to the CMSL website and with the wordpad facility, check out which parts fit both models. then there is a good idea of what fits what.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1