Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Matte-Black Powdercoated Ugly Rubbish

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bricktop
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:12 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Matte-Black Powdercoated Ugly Rubbish Reply with quote

Hi, new member here.

What is it with all the new bikes in showrooms being as per the thread title? Apart from the fuel tanks and front mud guards they are a sea of matte-black powdercoated shit.

Bring back the 90's, I say.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As opposed to ?
You want everything colour coded or chromed?

Bricktop
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:24 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
As opposed to ?
You want everything colour coded or chromed?

Tastefully colour-coded, in paint.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one. Your's just happens to be wrong. I love me some matt black, in spite of the current trend for it. I've been Rattlecanning since 1995.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of different options about.
It just means you're more likely to buy a used bike (and save some money) if you want stuff colour coded...

Bricktop
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:37 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nay, it is an opinion BASED on an observation.

Are you telling me that the showrooms AREN'T full of matte-black powdercoat? (whether you like it or not)

Bricktop
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:40 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What peeves me more than anything, is when you have a black version of a bike, all the ancillaries are black.

They then produce one with a colour scheme (such as red) yet all the ancillaries remain black. It's ridiculous.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:46 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm. Lovely matt black.

I'd do the frame too, but I'm too lazy.

I'd do the stanchions in DLC too if I was made of money.

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/VFR/1CIMG1607_zps029b660f.jpg

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:27 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bricktop wrote:
What peeves me more than anything, is when you have a black version of a bike, all the ancillaries are black.

They then produce one with a colour scheme (such as red) yet all the ancillaries remain black. It's ridiculous.

Imagine living a life where the thing that peeves you more than anything is the colour coordination of motorcycle paintwork and ancillaries

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:36 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP's feisty, let's keep him.

It is a fair point. Honda could apparently only be bothered putting a coloured mudguard on one out of three colours of CB500Fs. What's that about?

Dat rim tape doe, proper legit, fam.

https://i.imgur.com/bBiC1Ki.png
https://i.imgur.com/2qsyDCA.png
https://i.imgur.com/g8PFIvN.png

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:38 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think mot current show-room offerings look like they were styled by a kid deprived of transformer toys in the 80's, stuck in front of cable-TV instead... I mean.....

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery%20B/Kawasaki%20ZZR1400%2009%20%201.jpg

https://images.clipartpanda.com/lilo-and-stitch-clip-art-lilo-and-stitch-clipart-3.gif

That four-eyed monster form Lilo & Stitch, does no one else see a resemblance?

If ALL you have to grumble about is use of matt black finish, I'd say you are probably onto a winner, count your blessings!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bricktop wrote:

I'm not a fan of matt black but that appears to be the fashion which is difficult (or expensive) to get away from if you want to buy new.
The same with cars which pretty much all look the same (so much that the manufacturers have started increasing the size of their logo/badges so that you can tell what make it is from more than 10 feet away).
If the fashion is 'turn-ups' on long shorts and you want to buy some long shorts without them then you'll probably have to visit a few places or buy the expensive ones...

Have a look at the colour of crash helmets.
Black matt, gloss, black with a coloured strip, Hi-Vis Yellow or white.. (Yes a few other colours but they're the main 5 colours that pretty much every manufacturer does...).

IMO part of the issue is that kids follow fashion but don't understand style, and they all want the same thing in their effort to be individual...... Laughing

Us grouchy old blokes are left to either laugh or moan at the situation.... Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Matte-Black Powdercoated Ugly Rubbish Reply with quote

Bricktop wrote:
Hi, new member here.

What is it with all the new bikes in showrooms being as per the thread title? Apart from the fuel tanks and front mud guards they are a sea of matte-black powdercoated shit.

Bring back the 90's, I say.

Sock for stevo as b4? Razz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj84tfS7ag4
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:49 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Mmm. Lovely matt black.

I'd do the frame too, but I'm too lazy.

I'd do the stanchions in DLC too if I was made of money.

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/VFR/1CIMG1607_zps029b660f.jpg

Those quarter turn fasteners remind me of nipple piercings. No idea why I felt the need to share that with you. Thumbs Up

Also, anyone else get the feeling OP is another sock?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:51 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best looking bikes are black and red.

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/750turbo001_zpsfafbc93e.jpg

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/bikes_4_zps7c0da632.jpeg

Ignore the ugly blue and white thing ^

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/DSCN4614_zps660miv4c.jpg

Mr. Green
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't 90's matte silver which everyone then polished.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:43 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you go black, you'll never go back. Razz

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:45 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camo FTW Smile

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=99969
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Bricktop
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:17 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad wrote:
Bricktop wrote:

Imagine living a life where the thing that peeves you more than anything is the colour coordination of motorcycle paintwork and ancillaries

Within the narrow context of a forum section called "General Bike Chat", Dear boy.

If I was talking in REEAALLY general terms then the biggest peeve would have to be Over-promoted Gobby Fat Split-arses. Wink

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP has a point, and there is no getting away that cheap Matt black plastic on new bikes is both easy and less expensive to produce and if the customer will buy them they will keep making them.

Bikes are cheaper built, and are featuring lower quality componentry and fasteners than they used to. Also that money that would have once got you some forged alloy wheels and magnesium engine covers and a bit of Ohlins adjustable bling, is now used for linked brakes, ABS, an electronics package and a huge £1000+ ugly box under the engine full of restrictive performance and drivability sapping clean emissions crap.

Oh and if your talking about black being sexy, well it is only if it's deep and glossy and with a mirror polished aluminium frame to set it off. The 90's weren't so bad you know! Laughing

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrome is the new black.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:42 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Chrome is the new black.

Has disappointingly unshiny tyres and screen.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:29 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

It is a fair point. Honda could apparently only be bothered putting a coloured mudguard on one out of three colours of CB500Fs. What's that about?

I hate that coloured tank with everything else black. It just looks an afterthought.

Dinosaur time -

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqaimHWnM-XIsSpNCb_aDiDm8pmNQsOWuw59yyFo5k-BWqq1L_

Look at that and tell me modern bikes have improved on those lines.

Bricktop
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:35 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely.

Bricktop
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:36 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 277 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2