Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bikes overpriced?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:58 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Bikes overpriced? Reply with quote

I popped down to infinity in norwich yesterday and noticed the harley and bmw show rooms and thought to just have a little look in there. One Thing i took away when walking out is... Fook me most of these bikes are more expensive than a midrange car... many of them 15k

Am i mad or are these really just way over priced? i know a few top end (I thought top end) bikes went for around 12k but at these show rooms nearly everything was way into that upper margin.

Am i really just that dirt poor, or are these companies now asking for too much?

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:05 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summer prices.

/thread.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, overpriced when you compare to a little car. However, compare smiles per miles and an average bike is hypercar quick to 60.. That's the trade off. Forget how much you earn, buy on credit, live for the moment, buy into a lifestyle and live your dream. Motorcycling was never cheap, affordable bikes are still out there. A 6k mt07 is still a real world bike. Unfortunately, image is everything.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:12 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MT7 is pretty but i cant afford one :p

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then, your post is redundant. If, a decent priced new bike is beyond your means, what are you moaning about?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of performance cars are massively overpriced. What's the cheapest fast car that gets anywhere close to a sports bike?

20k for an Astra diesel, I'd rather have aids.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the mid-range car analogy falls down because they're sold in their millions so there's an economy of scale. I know what you mean though. I can't imagine paying £12k for a bike. Crying or Very sad
Now £11k... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232409139145?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true
Shocked
Still no.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:28 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was more moaning at the 15k price tag, I considered 12k the high end :p

but 11k for a 18 year old bike.... And how the hell does a 18 year old bike only have 66 miles on the clock o.O

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:33 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
. And how the hell does a 18 year old bike only have 66 miles on the clock o.O

Yer of course that mileage is genuine sir, only one little old lady owner sir, she never rode over 60mph sir, it's all true sir.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:04 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for a new bike, but now way over the odds. My last three bikes have been brand new, well the last one was bout 13 years ago, but now I will have to get second hand. Still some nice bikes out there but even second hand you are paying £6-7k.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:

We all have different tastes.
Personally I think spending over £5k is high end, and for £10k I'd expect to have at least 3 different bikes (all used, of course!) Cool

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we look at prices 15 years ago compared to now (according to inflation), the r1 was more expensive. However, wages haven't increased to match it. That's the problem. Plus, 15 years ago you could buy a 97 zx7r for 2.5k. Or a new Honda x11 for 6k (ish).

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:11 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:

but 11k for a 18 year old bike.... And how the hell does a 18 year old bike only have 66 miles on the clock o.O

I had 12k in my head as well, they do seem to have gone up a bit, maybe cos of euro 4?

Brexit?

Trump?

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
NutsyUk wrote:

I had 12k in my head as well, they do seem to have gone up a bit, maybe cos of euro 4?

Brexit?

Trump?

No doubt euro 4 costs millions in R&d to make the bike just as good as a euro 3 and better
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're shifting a lot of them now on PCP I would think.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could afford two but no way would I pay that much for a bike. I'm glad someone does as we need second hand bikes on the market.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:23 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Trophy was £13500 when I bought it. My last Goldwing was about £15k.

Silly money? Well it depends how do you look at them? My Trophy is what you would consider the top end of bikes, Triumphs flagship model. What's the equivalent car, a Bentley?

£5600 for a new SV650 and £7000 for a new Tracer 700 (list prices) isn't extortionate in my eyes.

Look how much you can pay for a fucking pushbike Shocked

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:15 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Look how much you can pay for a fucking pushbike Shocked

£100? Very Happy You can pay as much as you want* but I'd say typically most consumer level bicycles are under a grand, a lot are under £500. Same with motorbikes, Nortons and other small scale production machines are a lot more expensive, same with cars.

*A guy at worked paid 3k for just a frame Shocked

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of get OP's point in terms of absolutes, but last time I mentioned that 15k bikes were silly and crazy over priced, people like Alex A told me to shut the fuck up and fall back in line, as inflation was a thing.

A slightly more believable and reasonable explanation is that of economic conditions, the fall out from the 2008/9 down turn in the economy, and the fact that the pound is now alot weaker against the yen. Also the Japanese manufacturers cut back on midrange high spec and light and desirable bikes that shared parts and technology with some of their Halo bikes.

They cheaped out on low spec steel framed A2 compliant garbage, that even with euro 3 were cheaper to make and were half arsed shit that they thought the market needed and demanded. I think it was at the time people wanted cheap bikes that still had some sporty fairings on top and said stuff like CBR on the side, while hiding a steel frame underneath, non adjustable suspension and other homosexual shit.

People bought it though and they sold this shit probably making a nice easy profit too.

600's are dead in sportsbike terms, and it's only probably BSB, WSB and the fact some riders want the latest top end litre bike that keeps the declining superbike market going. Look at how long Honda and Suzuki sold virtually unchanged Fireblades and GSXR's for. The 2year re-design programme is dead.

They'll be less litre sports bikes soon, as they won't carry on updating all of them, and if the current ugly alien naked 1000 market carries on growing, they'll make them into high spec performance nakeds instead.

I won't pay £16k for an R1, when I don't need the capabilitys of them, and don't care for the electronics and euro compliant spec that ruins drivability.

Yeah in the 90's £8k was alot, but I don't care what you say more people could afford £8k then than £15k now. Plus we were in the boom labour years then, and cheap credit/loans were everywhere and accessible to most.

And finally you had the parallel years, where in 98 you'd have got a European spec blade for just under £8k, and an R1 for probably not much more.

Cars have got cheaper for the spec for ages, and are in some ways far better value than bikes. Exception is that's there tons more second hand premium cars for sale than bikes at any time because of over supply, pre registering and the fact they haven't had thousands sucked out of the market and sent to Europe in the back of trucks like the demand over supply position used bikes are now in.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:07 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
My Trophy was £13500 when I bought it. [...] What's the equivalent car, a Bentley?

A 1.1 Fiesta with satnav, would be the other way to look at it.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other way to look at it Rog is that all but the most basic new Fiesta now comes with built-in sat nav and Bluetooth etc, where as only the top spec adventure bikes probably get it as std, so maybe the car is a better buy and more VFM?

Let's face it both new cars and bikes are throw away items with non diy able faulting, and getting new electronic bits when they spazz up or get fried will be impossible 10years on. The car whilst still shitter build quality than years ago is likely to out last the bike in terms of expected lifespan and mileage.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 00:37 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
My Trophy was £13500 when I bought it. [...] What's the equivalent car, a Bentley?

Now now Roger.. it has at least the marketing pretensions of a Free-Lander....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:42 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

No, it's certainly not that, it's a much nicer place to be than a Fiesta. Middle Finger

The thing is, high end bikes are toys, nothing but. You don't need/want a £15k litre sports bike to commute on (despite what G will come back with). A burgman or a Honda NC750 would be fine for that.

People go on about BMW selling all their Adventure bikes on PCP but I bet most of their customers have the disposable income to buy them but that isn't the point. People want nice things or everyone would be happy driving around in Rogers POS Fiesta.

Why buy a big house when you can live in a cheap rabbit hutch?

It's no different to every other consumer purchase, just a bit larger.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:36 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
No, it's certainly not that, it's a much nicer place to be than a Fiesta. Middle Finger

Well, thats subjective.

I can have a comfy seat and a tank for 600 miles with zero weight to throw about for 10k

or

I can get wet Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 271 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3