Bikes overpriced?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Yeah in the 90's £8k was alot, but I don't care what you say more people could afford £8k then than £15k now. Plus we were in the boom labour years then, and cheap credit/loans were everywhere and accessible to most.

Thumbs Up

My wages in 2004 were £20k and I was looking at £6.5k for a new superbike.

Equivalent wages for the same job are now £28k, while you're looking at £14k for similar these days.

Wages have not kept up with the cost of living increases at all, especially in my industry.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:02 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
especially in my industry.

What industry so I can steer clear Shocked Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:54 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
A 1.1 Fiesta with satnav [is the equivalent of a £13,500 Trophy], would be the other way to look at it.

No, it's certainly not that, it's a much nicer place to be than a Fiesta. Middle Finger

Now, now, I'm noting that's all the car you'd get for £13,500.

I was actually surprised at the prices of cars, I think I was stuck in some Teflonian fantasy past where a Fiesta still costs about as much as a commuter bike.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:41 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I was actually surprised at the prices of cars, I think I was stuck in some Teflonian fantasy past where a Fiesta still costs about as much as a commuter bike.

Ford don't tend to bother with the cheap end these days; Dacia and the Koreans have that covered off nicely. Years ago you'd see 1.1L Fiestas everywhere - they don't sell in volume in that spec like they used to as it's not a lot of money on top to get a better specced model, when you're paying for it on a monthly for a couple of years before handing back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:59 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: over complicated Reply with quote

It's because they're not bikes anymore. They're toys for techno nerds.

Nobody NEEDS a computer encrusted 200mph nerdbike on the pothole minefield of the great UK road sustem. Noboyd NEEDS over 50hp just to get two wheels to get you from A to B. Nobody NEEDS all that NASA style technology that is expensive, untrustworthy and ultimately just adds weight and expense to a motorized velocipede.

Now, racing bikes is another matter. Perhaps it's cool to continue making ludicrously more powerful bikes for a race environment, but out here on the public highways with Mr and Mrs Geezerface in a Ford Ka and happy families towing caravans and kids on 50cc scooters is no place for a 200mph knobsbike.

This is what's killing, or has already killed, motorcycling. Back when you could pay a fair price for something you could enjoy that wasn't more complicated than the space station loads more people had bikes. Britain used to rule the world in bikes. It was the golden age of biking and people had fun and people used them as legitimate transport. There's no such culture these days. It's all about expensive showing off like some kind of yuppie throwback shouting "LOADSA MONEY" and some kind of tough man mentality (dressed in apalling Power Ranger outfits) that says if it's not REALLY expensive and capable of 200mph it's not a bike. That's all total bullshit and it's destroyed the allure for the majority of people who would otherwise enjoy motorcycles.

Basically the FUN has been extinguished from biking and the companies that make bikes are idiotically catering for the moronic midlife crisis crowd who have become stupidly rich compared to their parents day and who want to spend their early retirement money on fancy toys, just like their parents spent all their megre retirement money on vintage Jags and Triumph Heralds 30 years ago to "do up" and take to car shows before they and all their vintage cars became extinct. Bikes are going the same way. Nobody really RIDES bikes anymore, most people just HAVE them for show.

Only countries like China and that are involved in the actual culture of biking nowadays. Cheap, uncomplicated fun and legitimate transport for the masses is alive and well in those places but the whole European mindset has gone moronic about bikes and why they even existed in the first place.

I can't think of a single modern bike that I find the least bit interesting, mostly due to the sheer expense and the impossibility of working on it myself. Give me an open road and a Bantam ala 1962 any day.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:30 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: over complicated Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:
Britain used to rule the world in bikes. It was the golden age of biking and people had fun and people used them as legitimate transport.

We all have our own "golden age of biking" though, don't we? The old Brit iron doesn't do a great deal for me - it's not what I was brought up with, and I can barely tell one from another. For me, the golden age was from the late 70s through to the time when sports bikes really came to the fore. But then, after the first ones (late 80s through early 90s), they became all you ever saw. The number of times I'd pick a bike magazine off the shelf in WH Smith and think, "not another bloody CBR600 road test!" They seemed to become the Jap obsession, with the odd departure, like the Kwak Zephyrs; but they were only a nod in the direction of what non-sports bike fans wanted. Yes, they wanted something that harked back to the days of the early Zs, but not a porky, under-powered version of it. Why did the Japs think that everyone modified their Zs and GSs when they had them?!

Thing is, when bikes were more basic, you could upgrade them in neat stages, spreading the cost of achieving the bike you wanted to own, instead of having everything thrown at you in one go from the showroom, and then finding that it wasn't quite what you had in mind anyway.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:32 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see, i love bikes. I think theyre great and fun to ride. And I cant wait to get myself a proper bike. But I also use the bike to commute that is the main reason for having one. Its a cheaper option...

Now in reality. If some one gave me 15k and said Here get a bike, or a Citron DS3... Ill get the DS3, and ill still buy a cheaper bike for fun riding and occasional commuting with.

Im sure ill be linched for saying that... but im more practical than spending 15k on what in the end is a toy...

eifion
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:39 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the companies that make bikes are idiotically catering for the moronic midlife crisis crowd

And yet one of Honda's best selling models is the NC750, just over 50bhp, realistic daily transport and of absolutely no interest to the power ranger suited loadsamoney yuppie throwbacks you speak of.

Guess it depends who you mix with, most people I know with motorbikes just ride them to work and back.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:54 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: over complicated Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:
I can't think of a single modern bike that I find the least bit interesting, mostly due to the sheer expense and the impossibility of working on it myself.

Mash 400?

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:56 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh another comment im going to be lynched for...

I like the transformers sharp edge look bikes are going for Sad

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
Oh another comment im going to be lynched for...

I like the transformers sharp edge look bikes are going for Sad

It's just what you're familiar with I guess.
As soon as I posted above, I thought, nope, I'm wrong.
Has anything really changed at all? Bike styling, yes. More electronics, yes. But actually, lots of people still modify their bikes to achieve what they want. And lots of people still work on their own bikes, whether it be the latest road rocket developed from cutting-edge track technology, or an Enfield that hasn't changed that much in 50 years or more.

People still commute on bikes that are cheaper to run than a car (a la Nutsy here), and people still spend thousands on the ultimate in performance.

So what has actually changed in biking?
Whether I had the latest, most up-to-date offering from the showroom, or a throwback to when I was younger, I'd still be riding for the same reasons, and I'd still be able to find a bike that fulfilled those requirements. And most of the time, I couldn't afford new back in my earlier biking days, and I can't now. But I could nearly always find something decent second hand that fitted the bill.

It might even be fair to say that we have more choice in the kind of bike available today than anyone ever did in the past, and at prices that suit most pockets, if we're not talking exclusively brand new machines. And even then, years ago people took out loans and finance to pay for them, and people do that and PCP now.
So yeah, what's actually different?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

secretagentmo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:28 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
No, it's certainly not that, it's a much nicer place to be than a Fiesta. Middle Finger

Well, thats subjective.

I can have a comfy seat and a tank for 600 miles with zero weight to throw about for 10k

or

I can get wet Laughing

You can get wet?

You got a Rainpal?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

eifion wrote:
Quote:
the companies that make bikes are idiotically catering for the moronic midlife crisis crowd

And yet one of Honda's best selling models is the NC750, just over 50bhp, realistic daily transport and of absolutely no interest to the power ranger suited loadsamoney yuppie throwbacks you speak of.

Guess it depends who you mix with, most people I know with motorbikes just ride them to work and back.

and 90% of people I know ride them just for fun and touring.

I regard a car as a tool to get from A to B. I would expect most people who commute on a bike would regard that bike in the same way. I wouldn't call any of our cars particularly enjoyable to drive though the wife's cabriolet is nice in summer with the roof down. I love riding my bike just for the enjoyment of riding. I wouldn't pay £20k-£30k plus for a fancy car.

Which is probably why my bike cost as much as all 3 of our cars together. Expensive boys toy and I don't begrudge a penny of it. Thumbs Up

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the early noughties when I was whizzing about like a loon on a 125, the bike meets were always heaving. I remember Boxhill being full to capacity (i.e. hundreds) most summer Sundays. I’d say the carpark was at least 75% sportsbikes then too.

Went to Boxhill at the start of summer and saw perhaps 30 bikes, of which 30% were sportsbikes.

Where’s everyone gone?

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, there isn't anything that I'd want to buy brand new at the moment. Nothing would be a direct replacement for the Falco.

That is, a new v-twin or v4 sports tourer, wth around 1000cc, for around 7-9k.

Most stuff is either full on Rossi mode, or full on Ewan Mcgregor mode. What's left is either too small, too boring, or too expensive.

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 % agree Dalemac. I built a Fireblade up from E-Bay bits, just the way I wanted it, (R1 forks, RSV swinger, cbr1000 rear wheel, -05 fairing, GSXR K3 seat unit.... Its still not quite there yet. You can do that with the 90's stuff, its bereft of anything 'electronic' other than needed for basic ignition. I picked up a Falco for exactly the same reason, daft cheap for what will be a Tuano/Mille when I'm done. I'll bet there is nothing interchangeable on the latest stuff.
Not doing the 'I'm Rossi in disguise' thing, but I rarely get left behind. I merely chuckle at Devils Bridge as I arrive on my £1000 motorcycle, most of their gear costs more than I pay for complete, good looking machinery. And, if the worst happens, so what? It can be repaired or even improved for buttons.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:36 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm different as I've only just started biking, but I still reckon bikes are great value for money.

Take the MT07 for instance. My father asked me why I wanted a bike so I asked "If I offered you a brand new car that does 70mpg if you're careful and 0-60 in about 4seconds if you're not, that costs around £100 year to tax and you can buy today for £5,500, would you be interested?" Whatever way you look at that, it's a bargain. Lets not mention insurance either.

Plus, all bikes are very cheap in comparison to their car compatriots:

Honda NC750S is £6353. An equivalent commuter car (mid spec Honda Jazz SE Navi) is £16,065.

Ducati Panigale R is around £30K when specced, Ferrari 488 starts around £180,000.

and it's the same across the board:

BMW R1200GS Adventure is £13,400 base, BMX X5 (posermobile with pretensions of off-road ability) is £47,160 base.

Lexmoto ZSX is £1599.99, Dacia Sandero £5995.

Whatever point in the range you're looking, an equivalent car will always cost at least 3 times the price of it's biking equivalent.

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dare I say it, but.... the car will last three times longer than the bike and usually go through 150,000 miles in the process. There are performance cars out there for less than 5K, but the on-costs can get horrific. Pays your money, takes your choice. Come back in the depths of winter and tell me how good bikes are!

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:32 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjdugen wrote:
Dare I say it, but.... the car will last three times longer than the bike and usually go through 150,000 miles in the process. There are performance cars out there for less than 5K, but the on-costs can get horrific. Pays your money, takes your choice. Come back in the depths of winter and tell me how good bikes are!

Possibly true, but that only a factor for a small percentage of bikers - commuters. Most people (sweeping generalisation I know), will swap out their car/bike every 3/5 years as the finacnce ends or they get bored. As such, longevity for most riders doesn't actually matter that much. Ditto for mileage. 'Toy' bikes and 'toy' cars probably do less than 5000miles/yr anyway,so who cares if the engine is done by 100k?

Even then, how many commuters actually keep one car for the mega miles? The commuters I know tend to get a new eco shit box once it hits 75-100K anyway, out of habit as much as anything else I reckon.

On the subject of commuters, they'll do whatever mileage they need to do, bike or car. Plenty have bikes with 50K miles plus on them and some probably do 20K plus a year on bike exclusively. Swapping to a car won't save those people money, they'll just buy more fuel/ insurance and spend less on servicing/consumables.

Lastly, the topic of the ops post. 'Halo' bikes like the R1, Panigale, top end Harleys etc. People buy these becasue they want them. It can't be justified on price, so this doesn't really matter. But does a bloke derive more enjoyment out of having his dream ferrari than his dream Ducati? Either way he's hit the pinnacle of vehicular awesomness as far as he's concerned, it's just that more people can achieve that with bikes.

I can say with some certainty that no one on this forum will ever own a P1, but if they wanted an H2R, a second mortgage and an understanding spouse could make that dream reality, even for a filthy commoner...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:51 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Ford don't tend to bother with the cheap end these days; Dacia and the Koreans have that covered off nicely. Years ago you'd see 1.1L Fiestas everywhere - they don't sell in volume in that spec like they used to as it's not a lot of money on top to get a better specced model, when you're paying for it on a monthly for a couple of years before handing back.

Also those ecoboost engines aren't cheap Neutral

Kris wrote:
Back in the early noughties when I was whizzing about like a loon on a 125, the bike meets were always heaving. I remember Boxhill being full to capacity (i.e. hundreds) most summer Sundays. I’d say the carpark was at least 75% sportsbikes then too.

Went to Boxhill at the start of summer and saw perhaps 30 bikes, of which 30% were sportsbikes.

Where’s everyone gone?

Ask Itchy Very Happy

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:10 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah bmw is very expensive... if you want one, get an older model private sale, then the price is much more reasonable.. still a bit more than jap bikes. And don't forget service cost.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:20 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waaarrrggghhh wrote:
yeah bmw is very expensive... if you want one, get an older model private sale, then the price is much more reasonable.. still a bit more than jap bikes. And don't forget service cost.

...And fuel

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:13 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:
Waaarrrggghhh wrote:

...And fuel

ha
I got it sorted now.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:03 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
(despite what G will come back with)

Tut Tut... you don't need a Triumph Trophy to tour/get around on - 1.1 Fiesta will do much better! :p

(Except I'd be going for the more nippy 1.0, which pushes it over £15k, and really want to go for the 125, which pushes it to £17k and above before additional options... So you can get a sports bike that'll do not far off 200mph, or a Fiesta.... and apparantly bikes are bad value! Smile )

£6.5k for a new superbike in 2004 Kris?
The R1 rrp was listed at £9399 that I can see.
I know that in some years if you bought in late Autumn you could get a ZX6R for £5k around that time, but that was a good bit cheaper than the other 600s and only getting rid of stock.
Don't recall any superbikes being that heavily discounted.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN classified bike of the day always makes me giggle. Last month they were plugging a 2001 ish Fazer 600 'immaculate and low mileage!' for something ridiculous like 3 grand.

Today's bike is a 2015 Ninja 300 with 2 previous owners and 6k miles up for closer to 4 grand than 3.

You'd have to be batshit to pay that for either.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 269 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3