Overwhelmed choosing a bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:36 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

After 5pm, stevo had got into the cooking sherry again.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Then you tell him he will scratch up and drop and crash his first bike, almost like if you crash the fuck out of your first bike it gets it out of your system and then you'll never put so much as a mark on your eventual exotic superbike?

No-one's said that. Only that your first bike is more likely to end up on its side than any future bikes you own. My not-particularly-scientifically-rigorous survey backs that up.

The point of a forum is to seek advice and learn from the experience and mistakes of others. If the answer to every question is "do what you like" we may as well all go back to pretending to work and Korn can just shut this place down.

How's the hangover, by the way?

Oneear
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:23 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triumph Thunderbird / Adventurer / Legend 900 triple.

Retro styled 1996-2001 with or without chrome depending on your choice of the three. 70bhp, 45mpg, £2000 - £3000

Not a Fireblade, upright riding position, not silly fast nor brilliant handling. Some would say heavy and slow.

However, it's the kind of bike I saw myself riding when the idea of passing my tests first entered my head. So I bought one after pottering around on a YBR after my CBT for a few months, then did the DAS. It's exactly what I thought it would be. Great fun! Fast enough to give me a thrill, goes around bends, easy to work on and get parts for.

I use it for commuting a few miles everyday for work, and for trips out into the countryside when I have spare time, and it puts a smile on my face.

There's a lot to be said for getting the bike you want, not what someone else thinks you should have. Job jobbed.

As far as falling off goes - is it proven that new riders are more likely to come off? I realise this is anecdotal, but I haven't dropped mine yet, and I would have thought that the argument against new riders being less experienced is that new riders are more cautious, thus less likely to be in a situation to come off?

So there you go.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:33 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oneear wrote:
Some new riders are more cautious

FTFY Laughing

But also, balanced by the fact that they're more likely to make mistakes (although I suppose even that is a generalisation that could be argued...and I have no doubt, this being BCF, it will be Laughing ).
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who the fuck is arguing here though? Certainly not me that's for sure! My non rambling but relevant post simply stated that some of you (it's always the same ones) have a bit of an,

'I'll set this nieve newbie straight, now listen to my wisdom and patronising waffle'

Personally I don't care what bike OP buys or what he's into and where and how he envisages riding it. Some of you seem more ' no no no your doing it wrong fool!' about the whole idea of someone coming on here with a question and loose idea of what they might want.

Oneer, excellent post mate, this is just what OP should be hearing instead of the drivel we've spent a page spewing out.

If he listens to any advice on here, yours is where I hope he'd start. The rest of the fools have whipped themselves up into a frenzy suggesting bikes from the boring, soulless, to the mundane to ultra modern electronic whizzed up crap, to full on superbikes. I'd be a real confused son of a bitch if I took in all that contradictory garbage.

No hangover here BTW, just my pain killers and a piss weak Fosters raddler to swallow them with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

'I'll set this nieve newbie straight, now listen to my wisdom and patronising waffle'.

STFU; noob.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
The rest of the fools have whipped themselves up into a frenzy

Pot, kettle etc Wink
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

qarka
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:24 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errrr.... Fireblade?

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:58 - 25 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retro.

Harley? Razz

MATTT
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:58 - 26 Aug 2017    Post subject: Retro Reply with quote

Well i like my W650,its fast enough,comfy and good for nipping round cars on A and B roads handles really well ,and did better than the Bonnies in back to back tests
Ive had it several years now ,not my main commute bike as the finish wouldnt stand up to many winters use i think.
Also lastly its probably worth more or the same as i paid for it which wasnt a consideration when i bought it but is handy !

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:33 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a dual-sport and rag the tits out of it around your farm Wink

6'2 you might stuff like the bonnies bit toy like in size.... maybe. Just go and pick something you like, check ebay prices before you buy etc and just get riding! Smile
original.1984 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:27 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a too long; didn't watch version?

Going by the title, yes, train on a 600+, buy a 600+. Why wouldn't you?

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:15 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy before you pass. I did then promptly changed my V-Strom for a GSX-S750 after test riding a naked bike at Bike Fest.

Get some test rides done once passed and go from there.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 210 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2