Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

AGV K3SV Visor

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: AGV K3SV Visor Reply with quote

So coming into birmingham on Friday after about an hour head down in the heatwave and 40 minutes in an almighty downpour, get to the traffic lights before the hotel, on red for ages and my glasses start to steam to I open the visor. It goes bang and comes lose on the right hand side. It appears one of the retaining lugs has snapped on me.

Visor will stay on if I close it carefully with both hands, so straight to nearest J&S on monday. The guy i spoke to tried to be helpful, finding my purchase details from my local store and phoneing the AGV distributor. Apprently the visors don't usually break like that so it's not covered under warranty. WTF?

Also £60 for a replacement is a bit steep, it's not even a fancy optically correct super-thick visor.

My HJC FG-15 visors used to last until the were scratched up and were like £25 a time. Yeah they scratched quite easily, but I never broke one. My Skwal ate a visor every heatwave, and my RPHA-ST seems to crack visors around the mounting screw for the retaining clasp.

I know i'm tall sat down, but surely it can't be a quirk of my bike, it's not stupid fast and don't tend to ride long-distance at instaban/jail-risking speed which is when this tends to happen. Am I doing something hideous I didn't know about to my helmets or is this just a symptom of doing all the miles?

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: AGV K3SV Visor Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Am I doing something hideous I didn't know about to my helmets

Fnarr fnarr

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AGV-Road-Legal-Pinlock-Visor-K5-K3-SV-Horizon-Skyline-Stealth-SV-/152637579041?var=&epid=1265152086&hash=item2389e89f21:m:mUISQTcpOA4Y5pr3RQKYg-g

hth

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My AGV K3 SV baseplate snapped and got replaced on the spot by J&S, never had the visor go.

Visor on the Skwal is crap, I can't close mine properly and gave up with it (plus doesn't fit right).

Never had an issue with the RPHA ST build quality. Steaming up sure.

Wobbling Dog
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:40 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problems with my SV.Isn't the AGV and HJC polar opposites in head shape ?

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Isn't the AGV and HJC polar opposites in head shape ?

AGVs I think are long oval, some fitme, some don't, K3 better fit than k5. MOST HJCs tend towards round and do not fit me especially the IS-17, RPHA ST is a bit more oval than the IS-17. FG-15 was the best fitting helmet I ever had.

I'm assuming this is an atypical defect in my visor.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:28 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Visor on the Skwal is crap

I'll not buy a replacement, I'm just letting the helmet sit there all fucked with no visor cos J&S and Shark are both knob heads who clearly don't understand its an actual visor design fault.

They refused to replace my 3 times worn visor, even though its clearly a manufacturer design flaw/defect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visor is 43ish elsewhere.

secretagentmo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:53 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I'll not buy a replacement, I'm just letting the helmet sit there all fucked with no visor cos J&S and Shark are both knob heads who clearly don't understand its an actual visor design fault.

They refused to replace my 3 times worn visor, even though its clearly a manufacturer design flaw/defect.

Throw a spanner in their works, Trading Standards, unfit for purpose! Supposed to last longer than 3 uses!

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Op its something you are doing

Twenty years an I have never cracked a visor on god knows how many lids

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 31 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone would think J&S were charging inflated prices for visors.

AGV have been in touch and said that they consider visors a consumable item, but if i think there is a manufacturing fault to persue it through the retailer (so not their problem).

What's a reasonable mileage or age expectation for a visor?

Ok, im using mucoff or motul visor cleaner depening on what i can get hold of. I think that's fairly standard. Helmets are stores on a shelf out of direct sunlight. I dont ride with them open, and it's rare i open them whilst at a standstill on the bike (level crossings or long traffic lights if i get too warm or glasses steam up).

What could i be doing that i haven't thought of that is unusualand likely to damage visors? It's quite tricky trying to rule out unknown unknowns.

riejumike
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:53 - 31 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the same problem:

https://bikesandtravels.com/biker.aspx?ride=1022

If anything an interesting addition...

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 31 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

With pinlock fitted, why are you opening it? That's they're first question.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 04:29 - 31 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:

Because fresh air.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:45 - 31 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:

Hasn't got a pinlock for his glasses.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:16 - 31 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologise for bad grammar and missing glasses point. I've got a shoei neotec that comes off its mounting (without breaking lug) if I open it quickly. Been back to the importers and it's not an issue. Seems like you've encountered the same problem with opposite effect. Maybe our heavy handedness is the issue.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 264 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1