Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any tips for doing CBT?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

AngiBear
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:51 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Any tips for doing CBT? Reply with quote

Hi there,
Total newbie here who has loved motorbikes for years but never had the courage to do anything about it. Well, life is far too short and I emailed to get information on doing my CBT.

Does anyone have any tips for doing my CBT please?

I am a bit nervous now I have taken the plunge and want to get started as soon as possible.

Thank you,
AngiBear Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to your instructor. Best advice I can give.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:06 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a good read of highway code as homework. Go prepared to listen and be open minded. Don't expect it all just to mystically sink in on the day and don't stress it if it doesn't. Be prepared to have to go back for a second bite of cherry if you don't meet required standard, and don't sweat it if that happens.

Relax. It'll all be fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:06 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a bit of light highway code swotting.
Go to bed early.
Keep hydrated.
Keep your head up.
Have a little stretch now and again as it's common for beginners to ride tensed-up.
Accept that you will most probably make errors and don't spend time beating yourself up if you do.
If the instruction is lacking or you feel pressured then speak up. You are paying.

Wheelie out of the carpark when leaving. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:33 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:

What if it's Tef? Thinking

As above, check what the costs for 2nd and subsequent days will be. It's not a 1-day pass-fail course, it's training until you meet a minimum standard.

It's also surprisingly draining due to the likelihood of you being tense. Don't hesitate to call time at any point if you're feeling swamped.

If you end up going back for subsequent days, you'll find it'll be so much easier.

You will enjoy biking once it clicks, it just might take a little longer than you expect.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
pinkyfloyd wrote:

You think someone in your part of the kingdom will travel down to the midlands to do a CBT?

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go there with the idea of going with the flow, and if it takes you more than one day, so be it. Dont go there expecting it all to click at once, as the more you get frustrated, the harder it will be.

As easy as it is to say, the best thing to do, really is, to not get frustrated and flustered. Try and enjoy the process as much as possible and relax. you have many days weeks years ahead to enjoy riding, there really is no rush. And certainly no shame in needing more than one day.

Look forward to your, "completed my CBT, time for DAS post" Smile

Enjoy Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:35 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
pinkyfloyd wrote:

Book extra time. A lot of extra time.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a big breakfast, and (as above) a good nights sleep. I turned down a girls invitation to go out the night before mine, she was really fit as well (kinda regret that now but whatever... Very Happy).

In terms of gear they might only give you a helmet, they recommend sturdy footwear, but TBH riding in walking boots just made things more difficult (in terms of feeling the shifter etc.). If rain's forecast bring some waterproof trousers (and a suitable jacket). You should be ok this time of year without gloves (I wasn't in January Rolling Eyes).

Apart from that don't overthink it or get disheartened. It's a lot to take in. I got shouted at for 2 hours but left with a certificate so never had to see the bloke again Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:58 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
You should be ok this time of year without gloves (I wasn't in January Rolling Eyes).

I would never, ever ride without gloves, even on a pushbike, because I need my hands to type that I'd never, ever ride without gloves, even on a pushbike.

AngiBear
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:52 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for all your helpful hints and advice. I feel a bit more motivated now and the nice summery days we have been having here in Glasgow makes me want to ride even more so now!

I love seeing all the bikers in Largs and always admire their bikes.

Howling Terror - I would love to be able to do a wheelie but I think I would fall on my backside! Very Happy

M.C. - I hope you got another chance with the girl in question. Us girls do love bikes and this is why I am desperate to get a bike so that a guy can ride pillion with me, any excuse for a cuddle! Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:31 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngiBear wrote:
the nice summery days we have been having here in Glasgow makes me want to ride even more so now!

SPEAK UP I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE LASHING RAIN.

Oh, don't skimp on waterproof gear. Wink

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:56 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be calm and ask if you are unsure of anything. Enjoy it.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:12 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngiBear wrote:
so that a guy can ride pillion with me, any excuse for a cuddle! Thumbs Up

No no no.

Men may only ride pillion if:

1. they are very drunk and cannot ride their own bike. In which case you will have to put them in a taxi the next day to return and get their bike. On the homeward journey, whilst drunk, they will nod off, bang their crash helmet against yours in an extremely annoying and relationship-destroying manner, and if they do not fall asleep and fall off, they will dangerously compromise your balance - which is an important thing to know about ANY pillion.

2. they are gay, which is perfectly acceptable, someone has to be the Mrs. They do not need to fly a rainbow flag, but it will be assumed they have one about their person somewhere.
(Although!! A timely warning: Sometimes 1%ers ride pillion, i.e., if their bike has broken down, in which case it is extremely manly, particularly if they are wearing their cut-off, and is wise to remember that onlookers with the temerity to ribaldly point out the gayness of the situation may suffer personal injury)

3. Men should state in advance and in mixed company that they only want to ride pillion so they can fondle your breasts as you ride. If they do not follow that procedure, any attempt to do so whilst in transit will afford you an opportunity to punish them; they may be headbutted.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will not be allowed to take pillions until you have passed your *big* test, anyway.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:01 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I see you're Local.

I can't speak to the current state of CBT training in Glasgow, but I'd suggest scoping out the various schools and seeing if you can find one with a female instructress.

I say this because I'm very prejudiced and sexist and assume that women will be better at instructing (and because the one I had for my CBT road ride was much better than the shouty menfolk on the pad).

AngiBear
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:03 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
AngiBear wrote:
so that a guy can ride pillion with me, any excuse for a cuddle! Thumbs Up

No no no.

Men may only ride pillion if:

1. they are very drunk and cannot ride their own bike. In which case you will have to put them in a taxi the next day to return and get their bike. On the homeward journey, whilst drunk, they will nod off, bang their crash helmet against yours in an extremely annoying and relationship-destroying manner, and if they do not fall asleep and fall off, they will dangerously compromise your balance - which is an important thing to know about ANY pillion.

2. they are gay, which is perfectly acceptable, someone has to be the Mrs. They do not need to fly a rainbow flag, but it will be assumed they have one about their person somewhere.
(Although!! A timely warning: Sometimes 1%ers ride pillion, i.e., if their bike has broken down, in which case it is extremely manly, particularly if they are wearing their cut-off, and is wise to remember that onlookers with the temerity to ribaldly point out the gayness of the situation may suffer personal injury)

3. Men should state in advance and in mixed company that they only want to ride pillion so they can fondle your breasts as you ride. If they do not follow that procedure, any attempt to do so whilst in transit will afford you an opportunity to punish them; they may be headbutted.

1. BF doesn't drink although it might help him if/when I do pass my CBT then big test! Very Happy

2. I like to think he is the Mrs more than me, although he would debate that. Thumbs Down

3. He can fondle my breasts as much as he wants although I am sure that would distract me from my driving.

AngiBear
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:05 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Oh, I see you're Local.

I can't speak to the current state of CBT training in Glasgow, but I'd suggest scoping out the various schools and seeing if you can find one with a female instructress.

I say this because I'm very prejudiced and sexist and assume that women will be better at instructing (and because the one I had for my CBT road ride was much better than the shouty menfolk on the pad).

Thank you Rogerborg. I am in contact with Ride On in Hillington and they have been fantastic so far. I don't think I would mind a shouty man as long as he was good at instructing as it would probably make me more determined to do well also as I am a bit of a stubborn female.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:20 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride On should hopefully be fine. They got a workmate through his tests after an epic amount of lessons, fortunately on their all-you-can-eat plan.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:
You should be ok this time of year without gloves (I wasn't in January Rolling Eyes).

I would never, ever ride without gloves, even on a pushbike, because I need my hands to type that I'd never, ever ride without gloves, even on a pushbike.

Dunno, bicycles don't tend to drag you down the road tearing off fingers like motorbikes do. I'll add that's the only time I've ridden without proper motorcycle gloves (as I too like my hands/fingers), you're unlikely to have all the gear for your CBT.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngiBear wrote:
BF doesn't drink
Confused
So I'd guess he's not from Glasgow then... Cool

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
You should be ok this time of year without gloves

Where I did mine, they wouldn't let you ride without gloves. But they were happy to supply any gear you needed (except boots) for free.

AngiBear
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:43 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
AngiBear wrote:
BF doesn't drink
Confused

We both are! Razz

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngiBear wrote:
Alpineandy wrote:
We both are! Razz

So do you drink enough for the pair of you..... or are you just waiting to be kicked out of the city as you're clearly not being Glaswegian enough... Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
M.C wrote:
You should be ok this time of year without gloves

Where I did mine, they wouldn't let you ride without gloves. But they were happy to supply any gear you needed (except boots) for free.

Yeah I was assuming you'd get a stinky helmet and that's it. Obviously you went to a better school Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 268 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2