Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How much of a pain in the ass are the French?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:24 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: How much of a pain in the ass are the French? Reply with quote

So me and some mates are off on a trip to France next week, we're doing 2 nights in Paris, then heading up to Normandy to see the D-Day landing stuff because I've wanted to do that since forever.

And it seems the more I look into it, the more pain in the absolute ass the French and their retarded road laws are, and nobody seems to know the real answer.

- Hi Viz vests: seemingly mandatory, and from what I've read have to be "accessible from the bike seat, meaning you cannot store them in luggage and get off the bike to put them on"

Fine, whatever, Ill just wear the damn thing for an easy life

- C'ritiq du Aire: a 3 euro sticker that somehow makes your vehicle less polluting? Ok whatever. Its too late to get one of these anyway, as they take 10-30 days to process your application. I guess we're not riding around Central Paris then. Shame as I wanted some pics of the bikes at the landmarks etc.

- Reflective stickers on helmets: ok this one is causing some problems, I cant seem to find a definitive yes/no answer as to whether these are required. All I can find is an old MCN forum post saying "the police dont care, theres none around to pull you over anyway as long as youre not riding like a dick", another post saying "Le Froggy Popo hate Ze Englanders as youre easy cash targets", and then theres this site that says:

The EU commision response to MEP helmet sticker question. Regulation No 22 leaves the mandating of conspicuity marks to the discretion of individual Contracting Parties, allowing them to prohibit the use of helmets not meeting the conspicuity requirements. However, it is the Commission’s understanding that the obligation contained in the French legislation cannot apply retroactively to helmets already in use. As a consequence, foreign motorcycle riders carrying a helmet not containing these reflective markings cannot be obliged to bring their helmets in conformity retroactively. Only new helmet types placed on the French market must comply with the new requirements and bear this reflective material.

Which to me seems to imply we don't need them? But I don't really fancy trying to argue with a foreign cop at the side of the road as to whether I know his laws better than him.

On one hand I'm tempted to just put some damn stickers on to avoid any hassle. On the other hand I don't want to put stickers on my helmet.

I'm so confused. Neutral

Are there any other obscure/dumb French riding laws we need to be aware of? What's the likelihood of even getting a tug by Jean Paul Francois Le Grande Grenoille Popo du Fromage anyway? Are they waiting just outside the ports to milk ever English motorist for every penny they can? Or will we be left alone as long as we don't ride like hooligans?

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im pretty sure there is a rule about carrying two unused breathalyser tubes as well. May well be car only, but i'm sure the experienced eurotripers will be along any time now.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:44 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, from what Ive found though - the "fine" for not having them is 0 Euros, so Im not gonna bother buying them unless someone says otherwise.

Ericck
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:58 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: How much of a pain in the ass are the French? Reply with quote

Rode in France quite a few times. Last time was a 10 day trip in Sept 2016.

IIRC hi viz is not compulsory when riding only if you breakdown.
I do keep hi viz vest and spare bulbs under my seat.

The Euro 3 sticker for Paris and other city centres is a new thing since March, so can't comment on that.

For the rest I have to agree with MCN. If you're not a dick then plod doesn't care.
What with all the terrorist alerts last year. There were loads of plod road checks around Paris. They just waved us through with a smile.
I have also often asked traffic plod for directions or just given them a friendly nod or wave, whilst not wearing hi viz or helmet stickers.
Previous Bikes: Yamaha FS1E, Mobylette Moped Thingy, Suzuki GS125, Kawasaki Zephyr 550, Kawasaki Zephyr 750, Kawasaki ER500, Suzuki Bandit 600, Honda CBR600F, Triumph Street Triple 675, Suzuki V Strom 650.

Last edited by Ericck on 00:09 - 26 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:08 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't sweat it. I've ridden a few hundred miles in France this year, hardly saw any cops. Had a hi-viz in the tank bag and that was it. I might be more careful if I was going to something bike specific, e.g. Le Mans (where they get a bit predatory; just like here really), but as long as you're not drawing attention to yourself, you'll most likely have no problems. Pack that high viz where it's easy to get to and go and enjoy yourself.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Aky208
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:35 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Le Mans last year with a mate. We got pulled over to be breathalysed, they didn't say anything about me not having stickers on my helmet or even a GB sticker on the bike. They asked if I had the bike documents with me (apparently your supposed to carry those as well), which I didn't and nothing more was said. Passed the test and allowed to go on our way. My prat of a mate also managed to go the wrong way round a roundabout as we were pulling out, right in front of them.
Tldr: in my experience the French plod couldn't care unless you give them a reason to.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:31 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: How much of a pain in the ass are the French? Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
Are they waiting just outside the ports to milk ever English motorist for every penny they can?

The only place I've ever been stopped in France is in Calais, where they ran my plates / license presumably checking to see if I'd been caught doing something on a previous visit. Was given the all clear to go.

Quote:
Or will we be left alone as long as we don't ride like hooligans?

Pretty much this. I've written all over Europe with no attention to extra helmet stickers, high viz, GB sticker etc. Mostly nobody cares. I wouldn't take the piss in Switzerland though.

Things like bringing bike docs and spare bulbs are just common sense when touring though. You don't want to be stuck at the side of the road in the rain late in the evening 3 hours from your hotel because your headlight blew.

Once, I lost my key and those bike docs came in handy to convince the dealer to change the ignition locks. I bring a spare key these days.

BrownTrousers
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:46 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode through France last month (3-4 days in France in total).

It was my first time abroad so like you i spent a while reading up on what i should and shouldn't take.

In the end i took a high vis (in my luggage) and original V5 for the bike and copy of insurance docs for the bike and travel insurance docs. Because rules and minimal inconvenience anyway.

I also took spare bulbs and a first aid kit, because common sense.

I didn't bother with breathalysers (because the fine is zero Euros) or helmet stickers (there is a fine, but i didn't want to put stickers on my lid and didn't have any anyway).

As it happens, i don't think i saw one police officer the whole time and i'm sure they wouldn't have given us any bother even if i had. Much like in the UK, if your aren't killing kittens, it is usual to do many many thousands of miles without being pulled over.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:48 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If stopped, you could try doing what the French do.

ie. Shrug, screw your face up, stick your bottom lip out slightly, leave a slightly longer pause than is comfortable then say "Je suis desole"... but mumble it under your breath as if you don't really mean it.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:49 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: How much of a pain in the ass are the French? Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
You don't want to be stuck at the side of the road in the rain late in the evening 3 hours from your hotel because your headlight blew.

Poor planning.
Had a headlamp bulb go on my last trip. In Switzerland. Didn't have a spare with me. The world ended Shocked

The replacement was expensive over there though; 20 Swiss francs for a normal 60/55 H4.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:38 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As all have said, no better or worse than UK. Don't be a dick and they wont take any notice.

TBH I never bothered with Hi Vis etc. but I had a jacket with Hi Vis stripes so was willing to argue the toss.

The only thing I would say is there are roadside fines for speeding and they don't come cheap. In Switzerland don't speed at all as you will need a second mortgage to pay and if you don't/can't they'll have your bike.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:49 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
In Switzerland don't speed at all as you will need a second mortgage to pay and if you don't/can't they'll have your bike.

At least, not until you get up in the mountains. There, you'll hardly see any police, although you still need to slow things down in the small villages. But on many of those roads, your speed won't be particularly high cos twisty, and it's a long way down if you get it wrong, with not much, if anything, to stop you going over the edge. Away from the mountain roads, it's a horrible place to ride a bike anyway.

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:49 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just take all your bike docs and a high Viz

They don't really give a shit about the rest unless you've given them reason to make life difficult for you

Check for strikes/shutdowns on your route. They love a good bit of Industrial action the French - my bike once got stranded there for a week when they barricaded the oil depots and the petrol stations ran dry

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi viz and docs.

no stickers, no breathalysers.

simples. Thumbs Up

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I picked up a useful leaflet in Halfreuds which explained which country required what you had to carry.Some of it was relevant to bikes,but only the hi-viz jacket was taken.
I then went on a French day trip to Boulogne with a friend and the rules at that time specified breathalysers,reflective stripes on the helmet as well as the hi-viz.So I visited Halfreuds once again and bought some push bike reflective stickers and put them into my tank bag,with the 'intention' of placing them on my lid 'IF' I got a tug from froggy po-po.It was only after that trip that I found out that they are for night time use and by which time I had returned them to the shop unused.

I have ridden over 2300 miles this year and similar miles three years ago riding around France,with nothing but a cheery wave from froggy po=po.I did carry the two out of date breathalysers that I bought years ago,more out of habit than for actual use.I also took high quality copies of the V5c document as well as the MoT printout and bike insurance.I also took a spare bulb kit and fuses,just to be on the safe side,but never needed them.But yes,it is peace of mind.

It has been asked on BCF before about breakdown cover for continental.It is something that I would recommend.Some insurance companies cover you for UK and EU travelling,like Carole Nash.

Always have a 'Plan B'

derillius24
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:18 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from a bike jolly in France a couple of weeks ago - third time I've been in 5 years. personally, I find France and Germany the best places to ride in Europe. I fucking hate riding in Switzerland. The most overrated riding destination in Europe, IMHO. Now that is a country with ridiculous road laws. The French are very, very tolerant in my experience. They are generally very aware and respectful of motorcyclists on the road and the vast majority will dart into the side pronto when they see a bike behind them.

- Keep a hi-viz vest under your seat, no drama. 11 Euro fine if spot checked and you fail to produce, 135 Euro fine if found at the roadside (breakdown, accident etc) without one on.

- Absolutely nobody wears helmet stickers.

- Virtually nobody has GB stickers on their bikes. I never have.

- You're to carry spare bulbs but that's a pretty good idea anyway, no?

- Breathalysers no longer need to be carried by law.

- Have original V5, certificate of motor insurance, Passport and driving licence on your person at all times.

- Make sure you are insured.

- European breakdown that will provide repatriation if required is something I never go without.

That is all (I think). Don't fret - France is a great place to ride.

Thumbs Up

Edit to add: Chickenstrip is absolutely right. Up in the mountains you're basically left to it but the roads are often so tight and so technical that even when you feel like you're riding like a lunatic you'll glance down and realise you're barely even breaking the speed limit, if at all. Also, as he mentions, you do not want to get it wrong on some of these passes. Likely terminal for rider and bike if you meander off road at reasonable speed. Consider a parachute.

Last edited by derillius24 on 15:32 - 27 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

derillius24 wrote:
I fucking hate riding in Switzerland. The most overrated riding destination in Europe, IMHO. Now that is a country with ridiculous road laws.

I agree, with the exception of the Susten/Furka/Grimsel loop, and the Nufenen pass. Spend 3 or 4 days there, not going anywhere much else, well worth it. Great roads, fabulous scenery, lots of cafes and restaurants (albeit expensive - everything in Switzerland is expensive). Glad I went, and if I went to Switzerland again, I'd just head straight back there. And Meiringen was the perfect place to base myself for it.

derillius24 wrote:
Consider a parachute

Laughing Thumbs Up

The Nufenen is a bit better for opening the taps on - less places you're likely to sail off the edge of the world, but still great views at the top.
I tried to keep an S1000RR behind me on the descent from the Grimsel, but I sensibly gave up and let him go because the potential consequences of getting it wrong were too horrific to contemplate Shocked

Ammoman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:45 - 28 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from 1700 mile trip from Roscoff to Switzerland and back in 7 days.

Don't ride like a Dick and you'll be fine. Enjoy. Very Happy Very Happy

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:13 - 29 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had any problems with the French police. They seem to have better things to do than noise up the tourists. Like others have said don't ride like a twat in villages. We were in the Cevennes a few years ago and got passed in villages in the mountains by groups of German riders doing stupid speeds. This does piss me off, nobody pays much attention to bikers having fun out of town but this could so easily change if the locals get pissed off or someone gets hurt.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:52 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be a dick, and enjoy ourselves. Sounds good to me!

Mon Amis Vracktal who's coming with is still convinced Le Fuzz is out to get us all, but we'll see! Much Vin et Baguettes are going to be consumed.

What are people's experiences with petrol and petrol stations in France? Are they mostly cash only? Google seems to imply they are and that they have odd opening hours outside of major urban areas.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:23 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:

What are people's experiences with petrol and petrol stations in France? Are they mostly cash only? Google seems to imply they are and that they have odd opening hours outside of major urban areas.

I never used cash at unmanned petrol pumps. Can't recall even seeing that option, but that could be because I wasn't looking for it. Best thing is a suitable credit card (it seems: I just used my normal debit card and took the hit in the end, as you get charged a fee for every transaction. Not ideal, but it didn't break the bank too badly, as probably 80% of the time I could pay an attendant on the routes I did). Pre-paid travel money cards often aren't accepted by automated payment machines, but I always used mine when I paid in the shops.
I never had problems finding fuel, but there are large areas of countryside in France where it could be a problem. I tended to refuel early just in case, if the option came up. And it's in the countryside that they'll nearly always be automated-only. Motorways you'll be fine, major towns and cities usually the same, but even these often revert to automated-only after hours.
Always a good idea to have some cash on you; I usually carried about 200 Euros.

This thread may be useful to you:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=319429

alan29
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:49 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
Don't be a dick, and enjoy ourselves. Sounds good to me!

Mon Amis Vracktal who's coming with is still convinced Le Fuzz is out to get us all, but we'll see! Much Vin et Baguettes are going to be consumed.

Those pre loaded fx cards don't always work at unmanned pumps. Never a problem with normal debit/credit cards. Same at autoroutes. Lots of supermarket petrol stations are unmanned and are card only.
Monsieur plod will leave you alone if you don't attract his attention by e.g. speeding. If you make them stop you, they will be all over you.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:14 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back from the trip, didn't get sent to the Bastille or Jihaded. All things considered went pretty well.

Only time we had any interaction with the Gendarmarie was when we parked up outside Versailles palace to pose with the bikes and some ancient French bling. The others had already fucked off and I was still fannying about getting my kit on when Le Popo parked their van in front of me and started ranting at me in French Embarassed Only one of the 4 in the van spoke English and the general gist of it was we weren't allowed to park there (despite how we asked the tour staff at the Palace for permission first and they said it was ok). Then as I was putting my helmet on "MONSIEUR WHERE ARE YOUR GLOVES?!", so I pointed to them resting on my tank and apparently that wasn't good enough, they wanted me to put my gloves on before putting my helmet on for some bizarre reason, which is thoroughly difficult to do Rolling Eyes

All in all, had a really good time, saw some epic stuff, climbed all over a few nazi bunkers & gun emplacements. Hooned around some lovely French country roads. Ate lots of baguette. 10/10 would France again.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
Then as I was putting my helmet on "MONSIEUR WHERE ARE YOUR GLOVES?!", so I pointed to them resting on my tank and apparently that wasn't good enough, they wanted me to put my gloves on before putting my helmet on for some bizarre reason, which is thoroughly difficult to do Rolling Eyes

Same as anywhere I suppose. Some police are twats, some are ok.

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from a European trip, stopped at Orleans, Millau, Broto in Spain, Andorra and Amiens.

We really got caught out by the duplex tunnel on the A86. Maximum height is 2m but Motorbikes are banned because they think if we stand up on the pegs in the tunnel we'll get decapitated..

Found out that the Crit'Air sticker thing only applies inside the periphique ring road.

Although on the return trip, we got to the Eurotunnel early so tried to board a earlier train. Bear in mind all 6 of us were booked on the same train, we had to pay additional because we were early.

I got charged €37, another got charged €20, €42, €20, €27 and €30... Seemed to be picking random numbers out of their arse.

Andorra was crap, but is full of very cheap petrol stations. Pyrenees was brilliant!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 233 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2