Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

UK jumps on the bandwagon

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:37 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
But houses going up in value means nothing while you still live in it and if you move then that house has probably also doubled in price so you really only benefit when you downsize or move away.

I can see some attraction, for the convenience, if you go out eating/clubbing etc every night but generally most areas have no shortage of good food and entertainment.

Busy, dirty, noisy, expensive.

Seems a high price to pay to me but each to their own Smile

You've still got the equity though, and the yield, regardless of how long it takes you to actually realise / release it. You wouldn't have as much of a yield from buying in other areas so you're effectively up the difference, which can be substantial (one of my guys bought a place in Hackney and sold it 8 years later - the equity alone bought his next house....).

Exactly that on the each to their own - as I say, some people like that sort of thing. It's not for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:
Everytime you bring up the move to Kent argument you gloss over the commuting costs.

There are jobs available outside the M25.

The only solution to London is for several million Londoners to leave.

Always makes me chuckle, Londoners priding themselves on being progressive and diverse (your mayor's dad drove a bus, you know), but the thought of leaving for the provinces is anathema.

Well we need to make the jobs leave, yes. I've argued for this and similar policies on here before. Remove most of the public sector jobs from London for a start, so central government stuff, museums, mod, home office, NHS etc. Stop all transport funding from central gov and move it to the regions. Hike business tax rates and use it to subsidise manufacturing jobs 30m> from London. The problem is that London is their golden goose and its where all of the people in charge actually live. On the plus side the special treatment of Londoners won us Brexit!

panrider_uk wrote:

I reckon that'd be a bit of a hovel but £90k would buy you a 2 bed terraced bungalow with garden in my village (North Lincolnshire).

I really don't understand why people are so keen to live and work in London where you pay so much for so little. What's the big attraction?

There are jobs, and with good salaries, and lots of them, and close together. In something like Engineering London has as many jobs going as the entire North West, and look at Engineering jobs over 50k and London has more than the entire North and Midlands combined! So if you want such a job you either search around the entire country, or just live in London (where there's more anyway).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

There are jobs, and with good salaries, and lots of them, and close together. In something like Engineering London has as many jobs going as the entire North West, and look at Engineering jobs over 50k and London has more than the entire North and Midlands combined! So if you want such a job you either search around the entire country, or just live in London (where there's more anyway).

There's more to life than just chasing more and more money though Smile

And you need a job with good pay just to exist there.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:23 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
M.C wrote:
Everytime you bring up the move to Kent argument you gloss over the commuting costs. I guess you could tell them you plan to jog to work, see if they believe you.

You're playing the victim "my generation can't get on the housing ladder".
This is bollocks. I'm showing you why, you have enough deposit to put down 33% on a 1 bedroom flat, which start from £90K for a quarter house where I live, half an hour by train from your beloved Londonistan.

£120 a week train fare to London is affordable for many basic workers. If you think the thousands of commuters going to London are all city traders, you're wrong. I know plenty who work in retail as shop assistants in London and commute.

No I'm making an obvious point. The low earners I know who commute in that far (by public transport) are... lets say mouth-breathers, and obviously haven't done the sums.

mpd72 wrote:

£90K and Willesborough is a nice area. Bedsit though, didn't spot that but it's still a foot on the housing ladder.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-51060894.html

Plenty more on that site for under £110K. This one is a decent sized modern 1 bedroom flat for £103K.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-70361144.html

LOL a bedsit and a 75% shared ownership. For a second I thought you were actually going to be helpful. Yeah I'll take out a mortgage to live in a bedsit and spend 5k+ commuting Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg wrote:
There are jobs available outside the M25.

The only solution to London is for several million Londoners to leave.

Always makes me chuckle, Londoners priding themselves on being progressive and diverse (your mayor's dad drove a bus, you know), but the thought of leaving for the provinces is anathema.

I'm not debating that, it's just MPD repeatedly acts like commuting into London makes sense for low earners. I think for most people they have friends/family here, and it's not like you'll be leaving for a suburb, realistically it'll be the North and likely another shit city.

Can I stay with you whilst I find myself a nice tenement?

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:37 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

So many wrong assumptions there.

Is commuting to work free and timeless in London then?
An Oyster card can cost up to £60 a week and travel across London can take over half an hour each way, even by Tube.

Fair point, there are some costs associated with living and commuting anywhere. But even taking your 'worst case' commute in London of £60 per week, by moving to a place with a £120/week commute you're still talking a minimum increase in commuting cost of £2,880/year. That's more than your mortgage payments on the £60k, and that's assuming you'd use the tube.

I think personally, if I was living in London within say 10ish miles of work and was faced with £60/week to use the tube, I'd just cycle. It's what I do in Manchester, and here it only saves me £245 a year in bus fees. £200 all in for an ok bike, treat it as a consumable and budget for one to be nicked every year (I've never actually lost one in 4 years), cheap as chips.

I accept that the hour of time lost a day probably isn't much of a factor as it'll take 30mins to get in even if you live a couple miles away.

Back to the actual cost of the house and travel expense, assuming a 25 year mortgage on the house (and yeah, if you've only borrowed 60K it really shouldn't take that long), we're talking an addition, based on your best case increase in commuting cost of £60/week, or £72,000 on top of the £60K plus interest already required to buy.

That equates to £162,000. For a 1 bed flat or even a bedsit in a less convenient location? Come on now...
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Getting off your arse and joining the bedsit ladder is well within your grasp. You’re just blaming everyone else for your own situation.

FTFY.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:38 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Isn’t it bedtime Timothy? Wink

Is it the state funded house that gives you the false sense of entitlement?

How much did you pay for Donk towers?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:07 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, anyway, back on the topic.

I've just had my attention drawn to https://emissionsanalytics.com who perform real world emissions testing on UK vehicles.

Their conclusion: many new diesels are belching out far, far higher levels of NOx on the road than they produce while under Euro 6 testing.

Like, 8 to 12 times the allowed limit.

Lulz are the 315hp BMW 7 series 3.0 litre 4wd diesel being on limit, but the 74hp Kia Rio 1.1 being one of the worst on the road.

Epic lulz is Mayor Munckhin providing the figures to Lahndoners at https://www.london.gov.uk/what-we-do/environment/pollution-and-air-quality/cleaning-londons-vehicles/newer-vehicle-checker .

So, tell me again what the point of a ULEZ zone is, when you're mugging folk based on the fiction that new diesels are cleaner than old ones?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
So, anyway, back on the topic.

Wink All topics in the politics section eventually merge into one another. Don't fight it.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
mpd72 wrote:
Isn’t it bedtime Timothy? Wink

Is it the state funded house that gives you the false sense of entitlement?

How much did you pay for Donk towers?

£70k in 1999.

You know, just before the big boom, and you weren't old enough to take advantage?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:59 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Wink All topics in the politics section eventually merge into one another. Don't fight it.

https://i.imgur.com/8uyHKaT.png
https://i.imgur.com/Ry0KUKC.png

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:58 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
£70k in 1999.

You know, just before the big boom, and you weren't old enough to take advantage?

Don't think my paper round would have been enough Laughing

Rogerborg wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/Ry0KUKC.png

I learnt from the master Wink

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:18 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an example of the housing bubble (if you needed it). Around the same time my Gran* died and left her house worth ~30k (now probably worth 100k+). Had me Ma used her RTB discount at the time she'd have got this place for 35k, which's now (apparently) worth 300k.

It's all BS anyway as no one would pay anywhere near that to live on a council estate, realistically you'll be stuck until the council pull it down and offer you a fraction of what it's 'worth'.

*That same Granny had a flat in Marble arch, years ago when women were oppressed etc. and not allowed out the kitchen, and my grandparents lived in other (now) affluent parts of N.London before they decided to leave.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
£70k in 1999.

Don't think my paper round would have been enough Laughing

Maybe you should have gone to night school to learn to internets?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:49 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should have gone to night school to learn to internets?

I dunno that ECDL has been so useful 18 years later he still talks about paying off the mortgage.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably had to re-mortgage to pay off his ex-wife when she ran away with an immigrant.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next problem though is if all millennials live in 1 bedroom flats and can't buy houses, then the age demographic will end up like this (but worse). Couple in a 1 bed flat with no kids:

https://static4.businessinsider.com/image/4be2c5b47f8b9aad43240900/fxis-chart.jpg

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
The next problem though is if all millennials live in 1 bedroom flats and can't buy houses, then the age demographic will end up like this (but worse). Couple in a 1 bed flat with no kids:

https://static4.businessinsider.com/image/4be2c5b47f8b9aad43240900/fxis-chart.jpg

Hate that term millennials, I've reluctantly accepted Brexit but I draw the line here Folded arms

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably had to re-mortgage to pay off his ex-wife when she ran away with an immigrant.

I think he did say that Laughing So lets make this simple, how much did you originally pay and how much did you end up paying? Even if it's (to use the quoted figure) 70k > 140(ish)k then you've still done well.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

What the yappy little man doesn't know from his extensive Internet warrior, stalking endeavours, is that I had to double the remaining mortgage after about 5 years to buy the ex out.

I wondered why you kept yapping on about how much I paid for it, you're both wrong. Thumbs Up

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, got you nailed to the fucking cross there didn't I?

Did you send her packing with two black eyes too? Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 80 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10