Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2040 car ban

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:31 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hazard a guess that if Samsung and co who make mobile phones can't come up with anything better than we have now, it doesn't bode well for the electric car.

Someone told me Samsungs r&d for phone/tablet batteries was in the billions of dollars and they still can't get a modern phone to last a day.

In my opinion (for what it's worth) the countries/people are going the totally wrong way about what they are developing for the future. They are going for cheapness and technology that is proven rather than looking seriously to the future

We should have rushed ahead with nuclear development for power stations, the holy grail being fusion.

We should be looking at hydrogen power in whatever form because we have the stuff coming out of everywhere if we could only get how to produce and harness it properly.

But what do we do? We go for the cheapest for the government. Electric cars that they won't have to spend anything on, just force the consumer to buy them,

Electric cars will only be viable with remote under road charging and that's never going to happen country wide, can you imagine tryng to charge the pikeys for the electric they have stolen for their caravans. Laughing

And then there is electricity production. The electricity will come from polluting power stations and a few nuclear ones. They won't invest in a project like the Bristol Channel barage because it would cost a fortune even though it would power half the country. But no, windmills and solar panels are the answer. Rolling Eyes

I have the answer though - You want to cut pollution in London and other cities? You want to stop people driving, make all public transport free.

Bricktop
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:28 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear gets it. Cool

Vractal, however, thinks that landing a rocket on earth using supercomputers in 2017 is more impressive than landing a rocket on the moon in 1969 using the computing power of a pocket calculator.

The huge advances are in the computers, not the mechanical engineering.

Last edited by Bricktop on 13:04 - 31 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vracktal wrote:

Ignoring of course, that while the battery and the ICE are of the same vintage, only one has had 100 odd years of development and refinement specific for motor vehicle use.

I have highlighted that because in 100 years of development nothing has fundamentally changed. To that extent I have to agree with Bricktop.

If you took a modern engine of today and showed it to Mr Benz or whoever is credited with the IC engine he would recognise it. Now either it was a bloody brilliant design so it doesn't need change or there has been no major development in that time. It has been tweaked and developed but nothing has fundamentally changed. Possibly the only radical development was the wankel and that fell by the wayside.

I worked all my life in marine engineering and we had text books written in the 1930's about marine engines that are still valid today. I worked on steam turbine LNG vessels where the engine design was virtually unchanged in the last 50 years.

And so to electrics.

The lead acid battery developed in 1859 and still in use virtually unchanged. The electric motor developed in 1834 and basically tweaked between than and now. Yet we are going to have a eureka electric car moment in the next 22 years? Maybe we will, but just as likely we won't.

My point (I think) is that we have a breakthrough point where something is invented, and then years and years of either development or stagnation until the next critical invention point in time. Development can only get so far then a radical alteration of direction and focus is needed to push on to that next level.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:15 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I would hazard a guess that if Samsung and co who make mobile phones can't come up with anything better than we have now, it doesn't bode well for the electric car.

Someone told me Samsungs r&d for phone/tablet batteries was in the billions of dollars and they still can't get a modern phone to last a day.

In my opinion (for what it's worth) the countries/people are going the totally wrong way about what they are developing for the future. They are going for cheapness and technology that is proven rather than looking seriously to the future

We should have rushed ahead with nuclear development for power stations, the holy grail being fusion.

We should be looking at hydrogen power in whatever form because we have the stuff coming out of everywhere if we could only get how to produce and harness it properly.

But what do we do? We go for the cheapest for the government. Electric cars that they won't have to spend anything on, just force the consumer to buy them,

Electric cars will only be viable with remote under road charging and that's never going to happen country wide, can you imagine tryng to charge the pikeys for the electric they have stolen for their caravans. Laughing

And then there is electricity production. The electricity will come from polluting power stations and a few nuclear ones. They won't invest in a project like the Bristol Channel barage because it would cost a fortune even though it would power half the country. But no, windmills and solar panels are the answer. Rolling Eyes

I have the answer though - You want to cut pollution in London and other cities? You want to stop people driving, make all public transport free.

Does battery life sell handsets? See my earlier post, phones ~15 years ago had good battery life, but we want colour screens, touch screens and WiFi etc. (a modern 3310 has just been launched Razz).

Audi have left and now Porsche are leaving endurance (hybrid) racing to compete in Formula e, with Mercedes, BMW and Citroen who are already there. Nothing pushes development like competition, and manufacturers are going to have well funded programmes.

There will be fairly rapid progress, and if the technology starts filtering down to road cars they'll have even more motivation. The future might not be electric but they seem to want to give it a pretty good shot Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Nothing pushes development like competition, and manufacturers are going to have well funded programmes.

War does Cool

But I suppose that is the ultimate competition.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:28 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
There will be fairly rapid progress

Incremental, not disruptive like Rainpal®.

Refinement of current lithium-ion tech isn't going to do it.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

My point (I think) is that we have a breakthrough point where something is invented, and then years and years of either development or stagnation until the next critical invention point in time. Development can only get so far then a radical alteration of direction and focus is needed to push on to that next level.

That was really my earlier point.

The present Laws of Thermodynamics effectively state that you can't generate more energy than you use, so we need to go beyond that, which can be done.

You threw a load of efficiency percentages in - the first steam powered pumping engines were, IIRC, about 1% efficient; we've moved on a bit since then, but not far enough.

The idea of the self generating electric motor seems impossible now, but that's what we need to get to, if we want replace IC with electricity and have the same level of freedom we have today.

Not impossible, but it ain't happening in the next 23 years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:03 - 31 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^
Not sure if satire or eldritch sorcery.

Codezombie
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 31 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
^^^

I have a wind turbine on the front of my bike. I can already ride for ever. I'd take the batteries out of the frame, but I need them got get up to speed so the wind turbine can start working.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:46 - 31 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnets are the future. 100% efficient at absolute zero

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 31 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
^^^

Whatever it was, it certainly wasn't meant to be 'funny', as you rated it.

To become accepted by the general populous, the electric car is going to have to be a direct replacement for an IC one.

So we aren't talking about perpetual motion, but it will need a range of at least 3-400 miles, won't take a minimum of half an hour to get a meaningful charge and definitely won't cost an arm and a leg to buy.

Add in the variety of different body styles, performance and equipment levels the public demand, plus the differing needs of various groups (towers, tradesmen, cabbies etc) and we're a lot more than 23 years away from finding the solutions.

Some of that will be down to the car makers and their teams of designers and branding experts, but the basics are the province of scientists.

Science is constantly moving, or at least trying to - for every'Law', there is someone out there trying to prove it either doesn't work in the way we first thought, or can be varied to produce different results.

And that is what is needed with electric cars - a different thought process, a new idea, or even something we don't yet know exists.

Which is why I said self generating (or an acceptable version of it) can happen, we just don't know how to do it yet, unless you believe some conspiracy theories around protecting energy industries.

As any scientist will tell you, just because something was true yesterday and is true today, doesn't mean it will continue to be true tomorrow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 31 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Science is constantly moving, or at least trying to - for every'Law', there is someone out there trying to prove it either doesn't work in the way we first thought, or can be varied to produce different results.

The Laws of Thermodynamics are well established and not doubted though. What you're calling for is perpetual motion as already mentioned, ie. something for nothing. Take AshWebsters magnet at absolute zero, all we need is a chiller, but the chiller will need power. Fossil fuels? Likewise hydrogen combustion, it makes water! But how do you make hydrogen? (Let alone compress, store and transport it.)

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 31 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Shaft wrote:

The Laws of Thermodynamics are well established and not doubted though. What you're calling for is perpetual motion as already mentioned, ie. something for nothing. Take AshWebsters magnet at absolute zero, all we need is a chiller, but the chiller will need power. Fossil fuels? Likewise hydrogen combustion, it makes water! But how do you make hydrogen? (Let alone compress, store and transport it.)

No, as I've now said repeatedly, perpetual motion is not what I'm calling for, I'm looking for a dramatic advancement in technology, which doesn't appear to be on the cards in 23 years.

As for Thermodynamics, I'll bet you a tenner someone doubts them and is out there, trying to prove their doubts.

Whether or not that works out is a different thing, but it's that kind of thinking that has driven every discovery, from a round Earth to the WWW.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:15 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
So we aren't talking about perpetual motion

Shaft wrote:
The present Laws of Thermodynamics effectively state that you can't generate more energy than you use, so we need to go beyond that, which can be done [...] The idea of the self generating electric motor seems impossible now, but that's what we need to get to

QFT.

Anyway, sodium-silicon has engaged my attention.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise/energy/renewables/does-new-glass-battery-accelerate-the-end-of-oil

fruityvlod
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:23 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me (and I've been pondering this for some time) why you can't use the rotary motion of, say, a wheel(s) or electric motor, to drive a generator, which would charge the battery that powers the motor.
https://kitchenlola.com/
I'm not talking about repurposing wasted energy, as in KERS or similar, but straightforward motion take off, as in an alternator.

Am I missing something fundamental?

The electric energy gained will always be far less than the fuel energy needed to produce it. No system is 100 % efficient. That's why we can only charge the battery and not power the car.

Last edited by fruityvlod on 11:59 - 02 Jul 2018; edited 2 times in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

They aren't thinking about cars, or if they are they are stupid....

Quote: In particular, he’s paying attention not so much to how quickly the battery charges but how well it can retain its energy.

The biggest total bugbear about batteries and cars is their time to charge. You can live with 100 miles of range, many of us do on bikes, if you can recharge 'instantly'.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:34 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree.

Modern electric cars have a range of 200 miles, which is over three hours at legal pace, probably more like 4.

They are also able to charge to 80% in 30 mins.

This is current technology.

No one should be driving for 3-4 hours and not taking a half hour rest stop. It just means that instead of 5 mins to fill up and then park for 25 mins while you use the toilet and eat, you park and plug in before going into the services.

Time to recharge is a total non issue given the use to which vehicles are put.

For any journey of less than 200 miles it's totally irrelevant as you'd leave home fully charged in the morning if you have any sense, or fill up during otherwise dead time (whilst shopping, in the cinema, at work etc). All cars spend more time parked than moving.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:20 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
All cars spend more time parked than moving.

Which brings me back to my previous response to you. To which your reply still has not appeared Rolling Eyes

Cost of all these points, who is going to fund it. How are you planning to charge where cars are parked on street?
Never mind just where is all this power going to come from?

Linky
Quote:

The UK has 15 reactors generating about 21% of its electricity but almost half of this capacity is to be retired by 2025.

The first of some 19 GWe of new-generation plants is expected to be on line by 2025. The government aims to have 16 GWe of new nuclear capacity operating by 2030,
The UK has privatized power generation and liberalized its electricity market, which together make major capital investments problematic.

All I can see is a massive increase in new car sales in the years leading upto the sale ban. Then people hanging onto these for years. Shocked

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:45 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
Modern electric cars have a range of 200 miles

Tesla Model 3 from a 60kWh battery, OK.

B5234FT wrote:

48kWh in half an hour is, correct me if I'm wrong, 96kW.

At 240V, I make that 400 amps.

Where are you charging it? At an electrical substation?

B5234FT wrote:
No one should be driving for 3-4 hours and not taking a half hour rest stop.

Sure, every car in the country should spend 1/8th of its time parked up and charging. At 96kW.

I can't see any issues with space in motorway service stations, or electrical generation, or distribution.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manufacturers quote range based on 100% charge but then advise only charging to 80% to prolong battery life, IIRC.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:16 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
I disagree.

Modern electric cars have a range of 200 miles, which is over three hours at legal pace, probably more like 4.

This is current technology.

No one should be driving for 3-4 hours and not taking a half hour rest stop. It just means that instead of 5 mins to fill up and then park for 25 mins while you use the toilet and eat, you park and plug in before going into the services.

Time to recharge is a total non issue given the use to which vehicles are put.

For any journey of less than 200 miles it's totally irrelevant as you'd leave home fully charged in the morning if you have any sense, or fill up during otherwise dead time (whilst shopping, in the cinema, at work etc). All cars spend more time parked than moving.

Only if every parking place in the UK has a charging point. Every space in the Motorway services carpark has a charging point. And I certainly don't agree with your 'having a rest' scenario. I'll drive 200 miles, have a quick cup of coffee/pee break, fill up and carry on for another 200 miles. (actually my wife's diesel will do 500 miles on a tank.

I don't want to sit around for half an hour to get another 100 miles of 'fuel' anyway so to me, fast (instant) charging is the holy grail of electric vehicles.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:32 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
All I can see is a massive increase in new car sales in the years leading upto the sale ban. Then people hanging onto these for years. Shocked

We'll become like Cuba.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:34 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Manufacturers quote range based on 100% charge but then advise only charging to 80% to prolong battery life, IIRC.

I thought you shouldn't drop below (say) 50% if you want to prolong battery life, constant draining and charging does the damage. Also fast charging kills batteries.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:41 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I thought you shouldn't drop below (say) 50% if you want to prolong battery life, constant draining and charging does the damage. Also fast charging kills batteries.

That's lead acid. That's why leisure batteries (deep discharge) and starter batteries (Hi power output) are made differently.

However for either you are right in that fast charging and deep discharging has a detrimental effect.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:50 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand Lithium doesn't like being kept full or left empty- should be at about 50% so if you didn't use it for a few days you might have to wait while it recharged from safe storage level.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5