Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Track day company recommendations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

srj999
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 02:38 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Track day company recommendations Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm looking for recommendations on track days (UK) that cater well for novices. Don't care which track, although Oulton and Knockhill are unlikely destinations, since I liv on the Sussex coast. However, the main criteria is the company's way of dealing with novices.

I've only done three track days; two with Focused and one with MSV, plus a Ron Haslam Race school. The race school was expensive but I learned a huge amount. I wasn't happy with Focused as they just left us to get on with it. Additionally, there was no apparent checking of abilities, with us being aware of advanced riders participating in the novice sessions and picking us off as easy targets.

MSV was much better and I booked an assessment session which was useful, so I'd certainly consider them again.

Still, I would assume there's a wealth of experience and opinion in here, so would be glad to hear it.

Cheers,
Steve
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:35 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSV are the best for me. Well organised without being overbearing and if you want it decent instructors. Most of the others I've been with tend to be run by bellends who do it for themselves and their mates and will use any excuse to get bikes off the track.

OGR

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:50 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only ever been focussed events I've had poor experiences with to be honest.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:07 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the track day veterans on here (that I know) only tend to go with No Limits these days to be honest. Focused haven't got the best reputation. I've not done an MSV day that I can recall, but they have a decent reputation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

srj999
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:41 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I did two Focused Events; the first was at Siverstone and all right, although my mate and I really had no idea what we were doing. We went with Focused to Cadwell, too. There, I got punted off track by a knob on a rental bike. Other than the guy shouting animatedly into his walkie talkie, I'm not convinced that the organisers were even aware that anything had happened. Certainly, nothing was said to the other rider, despite him being in a group of non-novices only out to scare the shit out of everyone else and complaints being made. So, no to Focused for me.

MSV at Brands were really good but then, they have a reputation to maintain, what with owning the BSB rights. I had a 30 minute 1:1 instruction session which was well worth doing as it upped my pace considerably.

I would assume that No Limits will also be good, as they also run their own race series. I know a couple of riders who raced with them, so will also get their feedback.

Thanks again. I'll get looking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:00 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally been happy with No Limits and they're usually my go-to.
MSV also.

After I posted something on Facebook, had a chat with the No Limits owner and he seemed like a really sound bloke - does seem he's suffering slightly from being so popular (ie getting enough staff etc), but still happy to give them my money.

Used Focused a couple of times recently and they weren't terribe, at least - better than in the past maybe, but I'd still probably aim to go for NL or MSV.

Had a bad experience with Javelin - had booked a Holiday around a trackday at Anglesey. They cancelled blaming the circuit. There weren't many booked in, but I'd expect the trackday company to tell the circuit where to go if they needed to some digging the day they had arranged.
Also, I could see not many were booked in because they listed everyone's surname and they bike they had. Luckily where my bike is kept isn't directly linked to my surname, but it could easily be - I'd prefer not to tell the whole world about it (ignoring that I have on here Smile ).

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a few with No Limits, they were pretty good in my opinion. Briefings were thorough but light-hearted and instructors were on hand all day if you wanted some tuition. Twenty minute sessions and I got five sessions for each day (I skipped one session on one day as I was exhausted) and a decent stop for lunch. The instructors were friendly and helpful.

Definitely fun days but I learnt a lot Thumbs Up

RedPanda
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:36 - 31 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like MSV. They do classroom talks, have novice only days and if you choose the right day you can pick Shane Byrne or Chris Walker's brain.

I did one in a No Limits novice group and we had some total idiots, admittedly quite fast, taking risks and making me fearful of tipping into bends. You always get a couple of idiots but they really should have been moved on. After that I'd rather not use them.

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done 3 with no limits (1 in novice and 2 in inters at Donny) and 2 with MSV (Bedford Inters and Snetterton Novice).

First track day I ever did was with NL at Donington. Admittedly, it was the day before an NLR endurance race, so everybody was spilling into any available group to get set up time! So you clearly had fast boys on track with a bunch of novices. First track day I've ever been to where they had 4 groups (2 inters).

MSV cater well for novices. But I just came back from snetterton on sunday gone and here's what I have to say about how they ran their day!

Arrow Circuit Sign on was at 07:30. There was still a sizeable queue at 08:30 when the briefings were meant to occur, subsequently causing a few of my mates who were booked into the fast group to miss their first session because they didn't have enough time to get their bike noise tested before the briefing

Arrow Red flags in EVERY session during the day in all groups! I've done a few MSV days and about half dozen no limits days, but this was the first ever for me at Snett. I don't know about you, but when riders run off track, don't they usually just bring out a waved yellow to force others on track to slow down, thus ensuring that the marshals can tend to the affected rider? But every time someone as much as dipped their front wheel into the gravel trap, the van of shame would get deployed to retrieve the bike! At the very most, we only had 2-3 hot laps before the session got interrupted. No flow or rhythm was allowed to take place. It seems like it was health and safety gone mad!

Arrow Speaking of red flags... the amount of riders in fast and inters would still go around at full pace and actually overtake was quite alarming! A tannoy announcement was made after session 3, with speak of having everybody re-briefed at lunch. Never happened. Even though I was in novice, I heard tales from my mates in fast group of guys who were clearly in over their heads in that group, actually causing a lot of the problems. Organisers didn't bother doing anything about it. The chap I was sharing a van with stacked his 675 after a guy stuffed it on the inside of him on a yellow flag and brake on the apex.. he clearly had nowhere to go after that, apart from in the back of the van of shame.

In the end, the guys in our garage had enough and decided to bugger off at 3PM. So, have any of you had this sort of negative experience before on a track day, particularly with MSV?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:24 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

People used to always winge about focussed back in the day, but I never understood it. Same with Hottrax. Nowadays no limits does seem to be the best, and I will continue to book trackdays through them.

Often the difference between a good and a bad day depends on who books. One trackday I did had something like 8 members of the hooligan Bandit 1200 forum all booked into novice which meant that half the riders in novice were nutters on semi unsuitable bikes who all got a bit too competitive and started stuffing up the inside of other novices. At the time I was on an RGV as I recall, and I didn't like the idea of a bike that weighed twice as much as mine barrelling past me on the apex, barely in control with a bloke at the controls who also probably weighs twice as much as me. That was not a fun day, and that was the closest I've ever come to talking to the organisers about the nature of peoples riding. They didn't appear again after lunch so I have a feeling they were kicked out...

Tot, long time no see! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been on plenty of days with both companies, cannot distinguish one from another apart from the stickers to put on the front of the bike Laughing

Never seen anyone black flagged for bad riding with either company,

I've been off piste numerous times and with both companies at various tracks and if you keep it shiny side up (crosses fingers) then yellow flag, off you go, no dramas.

If you drop it or get off and stand around like a mong then they will reg flag and send out the wagon incase the bike or rider is damaged... Not exactly MSV's fault if people stop/get off when they dont need to however it can be frightening and sometimes you need a minute I guess. Still a bit silly to blame the company for being diligent.

I've never seen special treatment for the novice group as such, it's a hostile environment you're entering (willingly) and while not having c*nts making it harder, it is impossible to scrutinise all the bikes on the track, all the time.

If that is what you are looking for then maybe look at more expensive companies that offer more exclusive access to the tracks.

MSV/No Limits/Pro Vision etc are very much Cattle class, lower prices, lots of people on the days and gets very very busy.

You do get used to it however as mentioned, one day you can be pushing the front of the inters group feeling like a hero and the next some BSB riders pitch up in the fast group so people drop to inters and you're struggling at the back of the pack...

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

just booked with no limits... Weekend date at rockers that wasn't fully booked Rolling Eyes

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:44 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had problems with No Limits and MSV
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 224 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1