Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Finding my old bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

srj999
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 02:47 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Finding my old bike Reply with quote

Hi all,

Is it possible to track down th present keeper/owner of a vehicle? I want to find my old R6 with a view of buying it back if it still exists in some sort of usable condition.

A registration check in the DVLA website shows that the bike still exists. It is currently untaxed and has not had an MOT since Jan 2010. However, finding the present owner/keeper is another matter.

Unless you have reasonable cause, you cannot simply ask for details of the current owner, so I have hit a brick wall. I believe the bike is still in Kent but where I have no idea.

Any advice gratefully received.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:32 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics of said machine,year, when you owned it, area you sold it,etc might come in handy.

Mine was a '98 silver/black with orange striping.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:16 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell the DVLA that the said bike parked on your private drive and you want to take him to court, give them a few quid (£2.50 last I heard)and they will give you the current registered address on the V5.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:20 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They want a photograph of it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/622658/v888-request-by-individual-for-information-about-vehicle.pdf

Keeper details are personal information for the purposes of the DPA and should only be given out to "prevent or detect crime".

Still, you don't ask, you don't get.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Finding my old bike Reply with quote

srj999 wrote:
Unless you have reasonable cause, you cannot simply ask for details of the current owner

Actually my reading of the following is that you can ask for info about a vehicle you used to own, as opposed to just any random vehicle:
https://www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:42 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Finding my old bike Reply with quote

My reading of the preceding is that you can ask for details of that vehicle that are:

1) Concerning the vehicle and not a person.
2) Concerning you.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are on Facebook then join up to some Kent based groups and see if anyone on there knows of your bike. Kent bikers, ONE3 Community etc. or try the Yamaha R6 owners club.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
If you are on Facebook then join up to some Kent based groups and see if anyone on there knows of your bike. Kent bikers, ONE3 Community etc. or try the Yamaha R6 owners club.

OP could also try giving a few details to the largest motorcycle forum in the UK. Doh!

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, posting details on here could help! Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:26 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Finding my old bike Reply with quote

srj999 wrote:
if it still exists in some sort of usable condition.

It is currently untaxed and has not had an MOT since Jan 2010.

It's not in a usable condition. Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:20 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Finding my old bike Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

It is currently untaxed and has not had an MOT since Jan 2010.

It's not in a usable condition. Wink[/quote]
Could be a track bike.
That might be considered to be the same, however!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel different about having back a first bike now than I used to. I'd probably not want my old bikes back as they wouldn't feel the same after 4-5 other people have sat on them and used them.

Unless your old R6 was a one off special, there's probably a good choice of the same model R6 still out there and some will almost certainly be in a better condition than your old'un.

Also having a different example might spur you on to sort, fix improve it or make it nicer. Where you might get disheartened with having your old one back and run out of motivation by thinking 'look how much they've fucked up my old bike' etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:27 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post got me thinking. I am loving my new bike, but I am left feeling like I really really miss the street triple. Would love to be able to afford to keep both.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

srj999
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:50 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of useful input, guys. Thanks.

Rogerborg wrote:
My reading of the preceding is that you can ask for details of that vehicle that are:

1) Concerning the vehicle and not a person.
2) Concerning you.

I'm not sure that I read the DVLA information in the same way. From the DVLA site:

"Make a ‘subject access request’ to get information about your current vehicle or a vehicle that used to be registered in your name.

It doesn’t cost anything.

You’ll need to include:

your full name
your current address and the address on your log book (V5C)
the registration number of the vehicle you’re asking about
what information you need, for example when the vehicle was first registered or the date you bought it."

I doubt that DVLA would give me current registered address without it potentially compromising the person at that address, inasmuch as it would not be too hard to find out who lives there once you have address details. Probably worth a punt, though. Worst case scenario? "Sorry, sir. No can do."

stevo as b4 wrote:
... you might get disheartened with having your old one back and run out of motivation by thinking 'look how much they've fucked up my old bike' etc.

Now, THAT'S a good point. Looking for another one might be a better option.

mentalboy wrote:
waffles wrote:

OP could also try giving a few details to the largest motorcycle forum in the UK. Doh!

Another good point.

GJ05 AHO
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:57 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhat surprisingly, it's not showing as either stolen or exported.

Since it's untaxed and not SORNed, that means that 8 years of blackmail demands have been ignored. The chances of it being registered to a real name and address seem fairly slim.

Have you considered just 'shopping up an image of it and saying "Yeah, parked illegal on my private land and that, giz details."

Given the chancers and cowboys that DVLA will cheerfully sell details on to, there's essentially no danger of any come-back on you.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 260 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1