Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How many years riding experiance?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:39 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All road (and the odd inadvertent off-road excursion Embarassed) for me. Never ridden any kind of off-roader in my life, no desire to. Never ragged a C90 around a field, and none of my mates were into that either. I'm a tarmac junkie!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Derek1943
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:02 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Years since I started riding just 57. Have Triumph Tiger 800 XCx at present.

Just three accidents during that time. One my fault taking a bend to fast some 55 years ago. One hit by a car turning in front of me across my path, his fault that was about 54 years years ago and then more recently in Morocco a dog ran out under the front wheel and took me clean off onto tarmac, I was going about 50mph and luckily never broke a bone but boy was I bruised and needed six stitches. The bike was protected by the engine crash bars and amazingly very little damage. Now sold on and replaced by the Triumph.

Derek

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 years on CBT - Speedfight & R125
8 years on license - ZX6R

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Matt- wrote:
8 years on license - ZX6R

Ever gonna swap bikes? Razz

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting to see how much I can kill this one off first Whistle.

Probably won't take much longer.

I've put about 55k on it so far but to be honest could happily keep it longer if it remained reliable - can't really fault it.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:59 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Reminiscing] I should never have sold my ZX6R. Sad

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fooled around with a PW and DT on private land as a teen in the 90s. 14 months of CBT in my late 20s, followed by 2 years of 33bhp and nearly another 3 now of an unrestricted license. About 10k a year, only interrupted for about 3 weeks when I killed an engine.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed my test in '91, so 26 years.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

kevin_cambs_uk
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just gone over 4 years, it still makes me smile when I look at the pass certificates, cause passing the MOD1 and 2 was an achievement I think. It certainly worth the effort.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:40 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

arry wrote:
9 years on Thursday I think. Didn't ride on CBT.

Probably done all of 15,000 miles. Poor effort.

Feeling a bit better about my measly 6k Embarassed Had things have gone better (no ruined spine and subsequent time off work) I'd probably have done double that.

Just checked MOT records and in reality it's closer to 20,000 miles if not slightly over. Still not enough.

My excuse is too busy drinking Gin made of the tears of insurance consumerists.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, how many of you all didn't "pass" their CBT first time?

qarka
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:50 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 year CBT
7 years full licence (2 restricted to 33bhp)
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:52 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
Out of interest, how many of you all didn't "pass" their CBT first time?

Subject comes up quite regularly. There's more than you'd think.

I was pretty close to having to go back but got through it at the last gasp.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:13 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think miles can often be more important than years.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

one is as important as the other and neither should be used as an excuse for lackin the other.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straight in for DAS in the winter of 2015, so 2.5 years.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

Yep, also skill level. I know people who have been driving for 20+ years, done lots of miles and are appalling drivers. I guess natural selection filters out bikers.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I guess natural selection filters out bikers.

Possibly not Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Just checked MOT records and in reality it's closer to 20,000 miles if not slightly over. Still not enough.

My excuse is too busy drinking Gin made of the tears of insurance consumerists.

I've added up the miles I reckon I put on both all the ROAD bikes I owned and those I borrowed or looked after for people, and I reckon it puts me at 24-25k total in 19& a bit years. Laughing

I'm just a little bit surprised by all the die hards popping up in this thread all shouty about having ridden bikes constantly and owned road legal bikes for 25years+ etc.

Maybe there's more die hard forever bikers on here than I gave credit for? I assumed like myself that alot of BCF'ers had busy lives, many various hobbies and leisure pursuits/interests, some of which they devote as much or more time to than bikes, and wouldn't give up just to keep riding bikes either.

Some of them will be saying next that they never missed the national bike show once in 20years too.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 13:09 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed my test on a 125 in November 2004 which is coming up 13 years I suppose.

CBT for about a year before that.

Although I still own an immaculate and low mileage '99 ZX9R it's 300 miles away from me and I have not ridden it for probably 4/5 years. My old man makes use of it occasionally.

Unsure I would even go back on it to be fair. When I did ride, I rode every day nearly no matter the time of year so have clocked up a lot of miles - probably approaching 80K.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:12 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
Although I still own an immaculate and low mileage '99 ZX9R it's 300 miles away from me and I have not ridden it for probably 4/5 years.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-B0ZDE7tBsMA/TcGACEG1XtI/AAAAAAAABeI/ev6_06lXg8A/s1600/cat-cats-kitten-kitty-pic-picture-funny-lolcat-cute-fun-lovely-photo-images-i-beleave-we-have-a-traitor-amongst-us.jpg

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:50 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

I'm just a little bit surprised by all the die hards popping up in this thread all shouty about having ridden bikes constantly and owned road legal bikes for 25years+ etc.

Maybe there's more die hard forever bikers on here than I gave credit for? I assumed like myself that alot of BCF'ers had busy lives, many various hobbies and leisure pursuits/interests, some of which they devote as much or more time to than bikes, and wouldn't give up just to keep riding bikes either.

Some of them will be saying next that they never missed the national bike show once in 20years too.

Oh come on stevo, you get just as shouty as anyone else about your biking opinions.
The only thing I ever enjoyed as much hobby-wise was long distance and fell walking, but I've let my health slide too much for that now Sad
That's it. I don't really care who else has done what on a bike, although it can make for interesting reading sometimes. I do it cos I love it, always have. I have no idea how many miles I've covered in the years I've been riding, and I'm not inclined to sit and try to work it out. What does it matter? What matters is the fun I've had, the places I've been and seen, and the mates I've made along the way. I'd find it difficult to think of another hobby that would have given me as much.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

0 - hero with 2 attempts at Mod1.

ZZR600 for 5 years and about 33k miles on that.
Had a CG125 for a short time too.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I do generally agree with that, and also about mileage being a totally pointless misnomer, I'd say bikes for me (on the road at least) is more about the fun I had, the places, mates, events and rides that are in the memory bank.

Im a bit of a nostalgia Queen admittedly these days about alot of stuff. Its the same for things like music/night clubbing. IMO the late Rave- electronic dance- trance scene will never be beaten. It was a great time to be going out, and teenagers and 20 somethings today will never have a period as good or music that was so seminal or outstanding. They only have disappointment and crap to look forward to today>.

I like what we used to ride in the 80's&90's, and until it gets too hard or expensive or rare, I just want to surround myself with this era machinery and hopefully spend more time working on them than riding them.

I know I'm a negative fucker, and don't get me wrong put me on a sunny mountainous warm Mediterranean island on a nice small modern supermoto or trail bike, and I'll come home raving about how good bikes are. But polluted cities full of stationary objects on wheels, wankers, and overused under maintained grid locked roads, and I only see misery, stress and resentment and the best superbike in the world won't change that!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 266 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5