Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brushing up on theory questions and this made no sense

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Brushing up on theory questions and this made no sense Reply with quote

Anyone able to explain?

The correct answer is selected but I thought the central reservation was the part in the middle of the road

https://i.imgur.com/g96jZ9u.png

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it not cos you may need to stop on the central reservation to allow for traffic from the left to clear, and if there isn't enough room your vehicles arse will be in the carriageway of the traffic from the right causing an obstruction?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:28 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't say anything about crossing the carriageway. It's either blindingly obvious and you've picked the wrong answer, or it's not blindingly obvious and you've picked the wrong answer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:07 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you need to cross the nearest carriageway and then wait, without causing an obstruction/other drivers to take avoiding action.

Fine on a bike, well worth checking carefully when towing a trailer...

BrownTrousers
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:17 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the answer is fair and straight forward, no?

A dual carriageway means the opposing flows of traffic are separated (by a barrier, or grass etc.).

So, if you are turning right onto a dual carriageway then you will necessarily have to cross the central reservation. Mostly they are big enough for you to stop in, half way across, so you only have to navigate one direction of traffic at a time, but you need to check before you pull out...

https://www.insurelearnerdriver.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/image-4.jpg

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:31 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
It doesn't say anything about crossing the carriageway. It's either blindingly obvious and you've picked the wrong answer, or it's not blindingly obvious and you've picked the wrong answer.

How does one turn right onto a dual carriageway without crossing the middle?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:03 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TaffyTDM wrote:
MarJay wrote:

How does one turn right onto a dual carriageway without crossing the middle?

That's what I mean... Surely it would care to mention that? Also you aren't stopped on the central reservation, you're stopped in a box junction surely?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:13 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, fuck that.
Rolling Eyes
Just go the long way round.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:57 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's poorly phrased, you would probably also need to do the third answer - if they want you to imagine the full road layout there should be a helpful paint diagram. Angelic
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 08:55 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it as 'will your vehicle fit through the gap' instead of wide enough to the length of the car Shocked

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:18 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is there ever a box junction in the centre of a dual carriageway Laughing

It also says "is the cenral reservation wide enough" not "is the gap in the central reservation wide enough"

I'm really not sure what needs to be more clear?

Its a dual carriageway and therefore by definition has a central reservation between the opposing lanes

Its a UK test, so to turn right you must cross traffic

It's unlikely you'll get all 4 lanes clear, so in case you have to wait, you should check your waiting area is sufficiently large for your vehicle

It's to prevent this:
https://mocktheorytest.com/resources/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/highway-code-rule-173-assess-vehicle-length.jpg

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:45 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Box junction is the wrong phrase... but the highway code says this:

Quote:
Dual carriageways. When crossing or turning right, first assess whether the central reservation is deep enough to protect the full length of your vehicle.

If it is, then you should treat each half of the carriageway as a separate road. Wait in the central reservation until there is a safe gap in the traffic on the second half of the road.
If the central reservation is too shallow for the length of your vehicle, wait until you can cross both carriageways in one go.

Which makes far more sense to me.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:06 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is exactly what the question says and what I've described in my post above?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:42 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

the highway code wrote:

Dual carriageways. When crossing or turning right, first assess whether the central reservation is deep enough to protect the full length of your vehicle.

So what if you assess that it is not deep enough?
(i.e. caravan pic)
THEN you have to go round the long way, anyway?

If I were insane enough to tow a caravan, I'd get to that junction and be like "Oh. Oh dear, uh oh, what do now? Yeah but, no but yeah but no but ... a gap .. woot! Ah, fuck it, ya know what ... here I go!!"

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:54 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
Which is exactly what the question says and what I've described in my post above?

Yours makes sense, the question makes no mention of crossing either carriageway. I know it SHOULD be self evident, but it would be much clearer of the original question mentioned it.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:41 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
the highway code wrote:

So what if you assess that it is not deep enough?
(i.e. caravan pic)
THEN you have to go round the long way, anyway?

If I were insane enough to tow a caravan, I'd get to that junction and be like "Oh. Oh dear, uh oh, what do now? Yeah but, no but yeah but no but ... a gap .. woot! Ah, fuck it, ya know what ... here I go!!"

As it says in Marjays quote, wait for a gap where all the lanes are clear. If not, turn left and go to the next roundabout or whatever.

Personally? Know your route and dont use right turn junctions when the dual carriageway is busy.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said originally: just go the long way round Mr. Green Thumbs Up

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:21 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

That's what I mean... Surely it would care to mention that? Also you aren't stopped on the central reservation, you're stopped in a box junction surely?

Its a logical inference, and shouldn't need to be explained.

A box junction is a specific instrument, made of a square of yellow paint. You do not intent to park in the central reservation, but if it's wide enough to accomodate your vehicle you can deduce that stopping in the junction will cause no danger/inconvenience to users of the closest lane whilst you wait for the far lane to clear. If it is, you know to stay in the side road until you have room in both directions to join the flow.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

now its been posted more it makes sense but only if you stop to think what they actually meant but for some reason didnt say.. i was sat here thinking why the hell would you need to drive on the central reservation
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 266 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1