Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New stereo what ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:15 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: New stereo what ? Reply with quote

So there I am looking to get a new stereo with a decent sound .
I started looking at some of the better stuff and came across this Shocked

Look at the price! am I getting that right? Shocked
https://www.dbhifi.co.uk/shop/loudspeakers/scm150sl-classic-series/
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There'd better be a happy ending with every song it plays.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:29 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
There'd better be a blow job with every song it plays.

FIFY

I used to have a set of Jarmo`s and they cost me nearly £500 15 years ago and I thought that was eye watering.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audiophiles are the worst sort of phile. Razz

Most important factor is placement. You can make a good speaker sound poor if it's in the wrong place or the wrong size for the room.

Tempting as it is be aware of vintage hi-fi gear. Old capacitors leak.

Although I don't run any of their gear I do listen to a lot of music played through a Cambridge amp bi-amped to some Dali speakers. A nice balanced sound if you put them on solid stands and away from the walls a couple of foot. Not expensive either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Audiophiles are the worst sort of phile.

Especially when they start taking about directional ethernet cable...

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:51 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunnae get me started.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:45 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who is well into his HiFi. The one in his sound proofed room is stupid money.

It does sound good (read loud) but I can't really tell any huge difference between that and the playstation with a cinema sound system in my front room.

Perhaps I need a hearing aid Laughing

ferrisio
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:59 - 01 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are ATCs, they are the real deal, the SCM300 is the standard high-end studio monitor

https://beechpark.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/control21.jpg

These are just them making a few quid by shoving them in nice hand finished wood cabinets, can't say I blame them.

ATC hand make the drivers in Gloucs and they are the lowest distortion, flattest that money can buy. I'd love any pair of 3-way speakers they make.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:10 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferrisio wrote:
These are ATCs, they are the real deal, the SCM300 is the standard a high-end studio monitor

FTFY.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:25 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the human ear can only see a maximum of 30fps...

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:43 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you ride a bike / drive an open topped car .. your hearing range is shagged anyway.

Bass is non directional.
Buy speakers that can cover the frequencies of the music you like to play.
Buy speakers that can cope with twice the power of the amp you want.
Listen to it in the shop before you buy it.
Don't wire it up with bell wire.

Fancy interconnects will empty your wallet long before you hear a difference.

Check the quality of the mp3 you have before you spend a fortune on upgrades. if it's not at least 320kbps then it probably won't sound great no matter what you play it through.

Buy a set of decent headphones. I have a set of AKG845BT that sound lovely driven off the Headphone AMP in this https://www.asus.com/Sound-Cards/Essence_STX_II_71/

The rest of the time, it's an old Logitech Z5500 system with upgraded speakers and at the volume i play it at, i don't want or need anything else. The other system in the house is an old Eltax set from Richersounds from about 15 years ago, only upgraded the amp to a Sony thing with HDMI inputs for the Skybox and computer. Added a 12" powered sub - sounds just fine, at least to my ruined ears Smile

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:11 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thank you for the replies, I've opened a can of worms here Shocked Thumbs Up

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:40 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If you're looking for new stereo stuff, you could try Richer Sounds, although, to be fair it's been quite a few years since I bought anything from them. But, they used to be pretty good. There's a store in Cambridge, and 1 in Norwich, if either of them are close enough to you.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:02 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

im currently borrowing a set of Sonos Play1's for a BBQ at the weekend.

I set them up a couple of days ago and the wife is well impressed to the point of suggesting we buy some ourselves.

is our choice like to draw scorn and ridicule from people with proper hearing ?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm happy with my Sonos system, however, I got mine a a present, not sure i'd pay that much if I was buying myself.

For outside / shower / camping use, I've got a 20W bluetooth speaker, plenty loud enough, and certainly clear enough, not as good as the Sonos speaker, but, then, you can't get much Sonos stuff for £20-25.

My biggest issue with the Sonos system, is that they don't provide a Linux controller, however, there's a Kodi addon, and also the Android controller works well.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:49 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Sonos 1 and 5.
They are both awesome bits of kit.

UncleBFester wrote:
Check the quality of the mp3

MP3... M8 lossless is the only way innit bruv.

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

my Genelec speakers and sub bass units were very expensive when I got them about 20 years ago
would cost a few grand to replace these days

I used to use Quad power & pre amps in my youth hooked up to a set of Kef Reference 1 speakers

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:
im currently borrowing a set of Sonos Play1's for a BBQ at the weekend.

I set them up a couple of days ago and the wife is well impressed to the point of suggesting we buy some ourselves.

is our choice like to draw scorn and ridicule from people with proper hearing ?

Nope, they're well respected for sound quality for what they are - but a proper audiophile wouldn't go anywhere near them.

I've got Play 1's - Sonos and Deezer have revolutionised me in listening to music. It's all so accessible now meaning I listen to more than I ever did before. I think they're great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mostly using pair of roland studio monitors as my main hifi. It's not quite a yamaha HS8 sytem (significantly cheaper than audiophile systems btw, and probably what your music was mixed on) Very honest sound, but there are some drawbacks. Good studio monitors and you probably spot the tiny mistakes. Consumer stereos are tweaked to make the music sound good, for some definition of that word. Some distortion and some freqency filtering, and likely some artifacts from an eq. Valve preamps (or valve power amps for the really insane) really colour the sound, non-linear signal response and addition of some harmonics. Ironicly this hides some bad mixes and really highlights others.

30 seconds on google and I'd find these which will kick the ass of much pricier consumer oriented it.

Don't expect to be hit in he chest with thumping bass though. There is no substitute for a big subwoofer, so a 2.1 (or 5.1 for the surround fan) system is somewhat inviting.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Sonos 3's and a Sub in the kitchen/dining room as this is where we spend most of our time. Audiophiles tend to mock Sonos gear as it is easy to get a better sound for much less money, but they miss the point. All the family can use it without me worrying as they simply bluetooth Spotify from their phones. Plus because its wireless (other than the power lead, of course...) it can be moved around the house and even into the garden when its not raining and the neighbours are out. Top gear for parties.

My 'hi-fi' if you can call it that is a Project 2 deck with a Cyrus I amp and a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze I speakers - probably half the price of the Sonos if I were to buy it again today. I prefer the sound it makes because I like vinyl, but I don't use it anything like as often as the Sonos because it is in the living room and I rarely get time by myself to crank it up. As Mr Terror says, placement is everything. Get it right and even basic gear like mine gob-smacks a younger generation unused to stereo and brings older men to tears...

OP - if you are wanting to buy some gear my advice is think about what you want it for and your preferred source. Once you've decided this it is worth googling Richer Sounds to see what you can afford. Unless you know what you are looking at, buying second-hand will probably end in tears...

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: New stereo what ? Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
So there I am looking to get a new stereo with a decent sound .
I started looking at some of the better stuff and came across this Shocked

Look at the price! am I getting that right? Shocked
https://www.dbhifi.co.uk/shop/loudspeakers/scm150sl-classic-series/

Most decent speakers that Wilson Audio (the Maxx) make are in the £30-£50k range. Focal's high end series bookshelf speaker start at £8k, topped off with the Grande Utopia which is about £250,000.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:50 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly prices ...... are those prices justified?

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Not if you ride a motorcycle...

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

I'm sure those who pay that much would say yes. For the rest of us mere mortals, nah.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 247 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2