BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Failed cbt :(

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

L.93
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:06 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Failed cbt :( Reply with quote

So i have just been on my cbt, started at 8.15 by 12 were back at the centre, they told me i wasnt gonna be going onto on road driving pratice as i need more pratice first but wouldnt be sending me home, but when got back to the centre they sent me home and told me to rebook at a price of £75 when i already paid £120 for a full day that was supposed to finish at 5!

Didnt drop the bike or do anything really wrong, i agree more pratice was needed, i have no bike experience at all, all the guys on my course were renewing their cbt except one other guy who had no experience either and ird say was doing about the same as me on the course yet he got to stay on

Kinder feel like cos im female he didnt pass me, the instructor said 'if you was my daughter then i would want you to have more pratice first thats why you wont be doing the next part'

I said i understood but i didnt i was really upset so just said it so they didnt notice, also why should i have to pay more, the whole point of a cbt is to teach me and they sent me home 5 hours early, i dont get a refund for not completing the whole day

I really wanted this but it has disheartened me so much

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:10 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you remember to wear fresh socks? It's a good pratice.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they had good reason to deny you time on the road.
Maybe they didn't.

If it were me I would have pried them for specifics on WHY I wasn't allowed so that I could concentrate on working in those areas.

Personally, next steps would be to book another CBT at a different place.
That way you get another "qualified" opinion on your riding with no preconceived expectations.

Don't let it put you off bikes. Just a hurdle in the road.

Disclaimer: this is an opinion and not to be taken as sound advice.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:02 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are supposed to supply you with the training needed to meet the minimum standard on the road. If they sent you home early then they did not do what they said they would do. If I were you I'd call and complain, and request that they waive the £75 fee.

If you did the full day that you paid for and still did not meet the safe standard, then you'll probably have to suck it up and pay the £75. Either way don't let it put you off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I failed my CBT twice in the year 2000 and it cost £75 a go!
I was terrible and agreed i was not ready, as i was not even allowed on the road with the bike.
The second attempt i was terrible i just couldnt get my head around the gears.
The third attempt i just did it on a scooter and found it much easier.

Dont feel too disheartened as you are not the only person to fail a CBT and feel very crap afterwards.

I too want to have to pay again but they were like pay up (politely of course)

try again and if you want cheat like me and do it on scooter!

Ive been riding now on a geared bike for 16ys so you will be fine.

Last edited by woo on 14:08 - 02 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you finger his bum? and did he finger your bum (front or rear)

Last edited by Liam_ on 14:15 - 02 Aug 2017; edited 3 times in total

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:11 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Failed cbt :( Reply with quote

G.92 wrote:

Kinder feel like cos im female he didnt pass me...

Yeah that'll be why... Rolling Eyes Couldn't possibly be because you weren't good enough. My wife took two attempts to
pass hers but she at least had the character to admit it was because she wasn't up to a road ride by early afternoon.

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:19 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you fail a CBT then you should really never be allowed on a bike on public roads.

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:33 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You agree more practice is needed which bits need more practice?
All of it?

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Did you remember to wear fresh socks? It's a good pratice.

https://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/009/224/steviewonder.jpg

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:13 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

myvision wrote:
You agree more practice is needed

"pratice", apparently.

Assuming not sock (but sock), the elephant in the woodpile is that training schools can run a 4:1 learner:Teffers ratio off road, but only 2:1 on road.

So they'll have to turf out half the learners, or run 2 x 2 hour on road sessions each day.

Going back for a 2nd day is fine. Being charged for it when 4 people got charged for a full day, but only 2 of them could complete it, is not.

L.93
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:18 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Failed cbt :( Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
G.92 wrote:

Kinder feel like cos im female he didnt pass me...

Yeah that'll be why... Rolling Eyes Couldn't possibly be because you weren't good enough. My wife took two attempts to
pass hers but she at least had the character to admit it was because she wasn't up to a road ride by early afternoon.

Because of the fact a male on the group who was same leveling throughout the day was allowed to do the on road pratice

Atomic Punk
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:19 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't fail a CBT by the way, it's not a test. You have just not reached the required standard to be allowed on the road.
When I taught it, if you needed further training you only had to pay for the bike hire, if you had your own bike it was FOC.

L.93
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:44 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

myvision wrote:
You agree more practice is needed which bits need more practice?
All of it?

Not all of it, just general riding of the bike i think, i didnt get to speak to the instructor about it as he just shot off with the guys going to on road pratice and left me at the centre and the woman there just said do you want a tea before you leave so assumed she didnt know anything and just left, im gonna call and see if i can get more details

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad wrote:
If you fail a CBT then you should really never be allowed on a bike on public roads.

Incorrect!! But I fixed it for you:

Bonnie Lad wrote:
If you didn't complete the CBT then you should not be allowed on a bike on public roads until you complete the training required.

Thumbs Up

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:12 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems very harsh from the details you've given - I'd definitely be booking another school . don't give up Smile

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:33 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Failed cbt :( Reply with quote

G.92 wrote:

Because of the fact a male on the group who was same leveling throughout the day was allowed to do the on road pratice

Oh why didn't you say. The instructor must just be a sexist pig or something then. I'm certain you were totally awesome.
They should like totally dish out CBT certificates just for taking part because that's what really matters.
I mean you're a girl and everything, surely that must count for something... I love how after 3 hours on a
bike in a car park, you know better than the bloke you went to for tuition, particularly about how well the other
learners are doing. You'll love it on the road all on your lonesome, everyone gives you so much space and time,
especially once they see your L plates. Sigh....

L.93
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:40 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Failed cbt :( Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
G.92 wrote:

Oh why didn't you say. The instructor must just be a sexist pig or something then. I'm certain you were totally awesome.
They should like totally dish out CBT certificates just for taking part because that's what really matters.
I mean you're a girl and everything, surely that must count for something... I love how after 3 hours on a
bike in a car park, you know better than the bloke you went to for tuition, particularly about how well the other
learners are doing. You'll love it on the road all on your lonesome, everyone gives you so much space and time,
especially once they see your L plates. Sigh....

Wow really.. i never said at any point that i knew better than the instructors and seeing as we were riding one at a time i got to see everyone else riding.. if you have nothing nice to say then dont say anything.. and it was the fact i didnt get any reason except i need more pratice which is the whole point of the cbt, and because he went straight off to do on road pratice with the guys i couldnt ask.. i have called and left a message for them to give me some specifics.. but you obviously have never failed anything in your life so dont know how it feels.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:44 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many other people were there that day and taken out on the roads by the instructor?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:44 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fail to care about your bleats of victimisation simply because you were born with a vagina. Does that count?

L.93
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:51 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
How many other people were there that day and taken out on the roads by the instructor?

4 of us, 3 taken out on road

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:57 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

Isn't it meant to be a maximum of two CBT trainees per instructor?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/motorcycle-approved-training-body-atb-manual

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/compulsory-basic-training-cbt-syllabus-and-guidance-notes/element-e-practical-on-road-riding

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G.92 wrote:
Ste wrote:

4 of us, 3 taken out on road

3 on the road, how many instructors? You are not allowed to take more than 2 students on the road at a time per instructor.

The CBT should work at the speed of the slowest player. You have paid for a full days training, if you have not received it then you have grounds to take it up with either the ATB manager (school owner) or the DVSA https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-cbt/complain

We charge £110 for our days training, depending on circumstance we do charge a nominal small fee for a second day of further training should a student require it but it is very rare. We do also offer a 2 day CBT as there is nowhere on the actually syllabus any time scale. But it is not unknown for us to be out on road until after 5pm for some students to complete on a first day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

L.93
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:26 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 on the road, how many instructors? You are not allowed to take more than 2 students on the road at a time per instructor.

The CBT should work at the speed of the slowest player. You have paid for a full days training, if you have not received it then you have grounds to take it up with either the ATB manager (school owner) or the DVSA https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-cbt/complain

We charge £110 for our days training, depending on circumstance we do charge a nominal small fee for a second day of further training should a student require it but it is very rare. We do also offer a 2 day CBT as there is nowhere on the actually syllabus any time scale. But it is not unknown for us to be out on road until after 5pm for some students to complete on a first day.[/quote]

I am not sure as i had been sent home at this point, i did think thats how it was supposed to be, i have tried ringing them several times since with no answer, i have now emailed them awaiting a response, they did not have a 2 day cbt as this is what i was looking for however they did offer a pre cbt for an hour one to one training at £40 but mates that already ride informed me that i shouldnt do the pre cbt as the cbt is supposed to cover all starting points

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you were treated badly, They cut the slowest player. Sadly there are lots of schools like that just like there are many that cut corners. It's sad.

I had a conversation with a lady who walked away from a DAS course with another school and came to us. She said she wished she came to us first and had learnt more in a day than she had in 3 days with the other school.

Sadly this was the 4th time I have heard that from people changing schools and as I said to her, while it is good to get the compliment, we should not be hearing it. EVERY school should be working from the same hymn sheet. On its base level we are dealing with the most dangerous mode of transport, we are charged with training people to keep them alive. Cutting corners in my job could lead to the death of a student.

Should not happen. Its disgusting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 267 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3