Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

R1 to Mt09 - anyone else 'downgraded'?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

super-cowboyjon
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:48 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: R1 to Mt09 - anyone else 'downgraded'? Reply with quote

Always ridden sports bikes. Last count I have owned 16 bikes in 16 years of riding, from gixxer 750s to cbrs to R1s and back again.

My current bike is a 2013 R1 and while it is the best bike I have ever owned, this year I have found myself bimbling along my favourite roads at 70 mph thinking ' a middleweight naked would do this just as good, be better on the commute to work and cheaper to run. Probably less likely to do prison speeds too'.

I have test rides booked this weekend on 2017 mt09 and xsr900 to see whats what.

Anyone else changed over in a similar fashion and are you happy you did or do you find yourself pining for that shiny sports bike again a couple months later?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer thou > 650 Sertao > CRF250L Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've switched from Sportsbikes to naked bikes and back several times. I can live with the power deficit, but I've found it frustrating that almost every naked bike is lacking when it comes to handling and chassis performance (softer, heavier, poor brakes). Why would a prospective owner not want the best possible handling performance, even if the bike is only ever destined for the road?

The only true exceptions IME have been the Ducati Streetfighter, the Aprilia Tuono V4, and the Triumph Street Triple RS. I could certainly live with the latter as an only bike. I don't think I could say the same for the MT-09/XSR900.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:16 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
I've switched from Sportsbikes to naked bikes and back several times. I can live with the power deficit, but I've found it frustrating that almost every naked bike is lacking when it comes to handling and chassis performance (softer, heavier, poor brakes). Why would a prospective owner not want the best possible handling performance, even if the bike is only ever destined for the road?

The only true exceptions IME have been the Ducati Streetfighter, the Aprilia Tuono V4, and the Triumph Street Triple RS. I could certainly live with the latter as an only bike. I don't think I could say the same for the MT-09/XSR900.

If I changed my bikes as often as you do, I probably wouldn't bother myself, but you can always select the one that gets closest to what you want and mod it to improve on whatever its failings might be. I came to the conclusion that seeking racetrack levels of performance and handling for a bike only used on the road is pointless, and likely to lead to disappointment.

The Street Triple is much more nimble than my Fazer, but I actually found it less suitable for road riding.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
If I changed my bikes as often as you do, I probably wouldn't bother myself, but you can always select the one that gets closest to what you want and mod it to improve on whatever its failings might be. I came to the conclusion that seeking racetrack levels of performance and handling for a bike only used on the road is poinitless, and likely to lead to disappointment.

I understand your perspective, but you're right, it's not worth the bother unless you know you'll keep it and try to make it work. My modification philosophy is generally to remove anything that isn't necessary, but otherwise leave it completely standard. If it's definitely not doing it for me in stock form, then I'll sell it. Cheaper to do it at that point than sink dead money into parts, hoping that will make all the difference. It might, but just as likely, it might not. If it does work for me in stock form, then perhaps I'll spend a bit on a slip-on and a L-Ion battery. For reference, I haven't felt the need to do anything at all the the 1299 - it's fitted with only what it needs, and it needs absolutely nothing else. Perfect out of the box, as I like it.

chickenstrip wrote:
The Street Triple is much more nimble than my Fazer, but I actually found it less suitable for road riding.

I was referring to the Street Triple RS (i.e. 2017). It's quite different to the 2010 STR. More like an upgraded Daytona 675R but without the fairing. That might, in your view, make it even less suitable for road use, but I suppose it depends on how you like to ride most of the time.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:

I suppose it depends on how you like to ride most of the time.

Or where you like to ride most of the time. I'd be more inclined to own something sporty if I lived in Wales, or did track days. As I found to my cost, there's a limit to how far you can take it on most roads, eventually.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

base
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 06:33 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from a 2012 S1000RR to a 2016 Speed Triple R. downgrade? not really just something different.

It took a bit of getting used to after years of sportsbikes , upright position felt alien just not err sporty Laughing , but once I got used to the "lack of sporty feel" Laughing I am really got into the speed. great free reving engine and handles really well, a proper hooligans bike, where you can really use the performance.

occasionally I really yearn for the way the S1000RR sends you into the distance, but the speed is no slouch its just different. no doubt I will go back to the insanity of a litre sports but soon realise actually their not as much fun for me.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:18 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from a GSXR750 to a VTR Firestorm to a Yami XJ6N. While the drop in power was noticeable the bike was more than capable for my needs and was good fun

I'm on the way back up again though after 4 years, The XJ6 was stolen and I now have a Kwak Z750R and already eyeing up the Z1000. Bank account says no though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:43 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from a FireBlade, back to a Buell and then to a Street Triple R. I've not regretted it.

super-cowboyjon
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:47 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna throw the possibility of a street triple r into the mix. Don't know if it'll fit me at 6'2" but reckon it's worth considering.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:54 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I've owned an MT-09 .. it lasted all of 6 months .. fcukin horrible... soft bouncy budget suspension ... torque kicks in far too soon in the rev. range .. waitin for the back wheel to spin-up all the time .. don`t like triples at all now horrible ..
PS. I still have the R1 .. the mt-09 was replaced with a CB1000r ABS..
much easier to ride and predictable ..it just don`t look the part ..
I suggest you test ride an MT-10 aswell..

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:01 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
torque kicks in far too soon in the rev. range

Words I never thought I'd read.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Copycat73 wrote:
torque kicks in far too soon in the rev. range

Words I never thought I'd read.

talkin here 1000rpm and harsh by 2000rpm .. fuckin frightening.. an IL4 is a docile predictable animal below 4000 rpm .. usually where i ride any 1liter IL4..and picks - up hard after 5000 - 7000 dependin on the bike..but they are all much the same all my little tricks and traits were utterly useless on a tripple .. the gear box seemed upside down .. i bought the honda and it fitted like an old pair of shoes .. from the start.... easiest bike i`ve ever ridden.

Never forget "its horses for courses and riders for horses"

NB* caveat i do like singles and twins in an off road bike.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:45 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
well I've owned an MT-09 .. it lasted all of 6 months .. fcukin horrible... soft bouncy budget suspension ... torque kicks in far too soon in the rev. range .. waitin for the back wheel to spin-up all the time .. don`t like triples at all now horrible

You're generalising too much about triples. The Street Triple isn't like that at all. If anything, it's a comparatively linear power delivery. Power all through the rev range, but no nasty surprises. Smaller engine though, but fast enough for most days. Only real world differences I found between it and the thou is it runs out of puff a bit earlier and needs the gearbox stirring for some overtakes that the thou would just zap in any gear. And no fairing, so not so good for shredding-license speeds, but capable of it still. No snatchiness either, although mine did have a PCV fitted. A very worthwhile contender to consider if downsizing from a litre bike.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:08 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the brutal nature of it personally. That's exactly why I bought one. I agree the suspension can be a bit interesting
at speed, having it set up to suit my weight at JHS racing helped and it's as good as it will ever be on the standard kit now.
If I keep her for a long innings about 1500quid will see the stock springs and shocks outed for better components. I can
Ohlins the rear end for as little as 500 quid and a complete Ohlins cartridge transplant on the front for a grand.
That only puts the overall price up to that of one of the new striples. I can't lie I come home buzzing a bit after a
few hours out on the Spacker. Bounce! Every. Single. Time. It's an exciting bike to ride I think, I flipping love it!!
Haven't had a mundane ride on it since it passed 600miles. The Akra soundtrack when it's having its arse smacked is
very addictive too. The thing that pisses me off most often about it is the small tank capacity, feels like I'm filling up
almost every time I ride.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:16 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: R1 to Mt09 - anyone else 'downgraded'? Reply with quote

After going up to a tuned zx9r (143rwhp/lightened/other race mods), I worked out around 30-80hp was my preferred power for fun on the road.

I later got a K6 GSXR1000 for commuting through town, but because while easy power made it more 'boring', it was great for getting from A to B quickly and easily.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:34 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to downsize from the Fazer. I'm in the happy position of finding it to be perfect for me. Similar power to your ZX9, G, perhaps a tad less, and I like the option of being able to be lazy, or get the revs up for more spirited stuff, although I'm sure I don't use all its capability in that regard. But I have never been so happy with a bike as this one Wub

I did sometimes miss the extra grunt when out on the Striple.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:45 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the Triumph had more grunt, rather than lower gearing?

If stock, I suspect your power's a bit down on that if it's a gen 1 Fazer 1000 at least (stock the zx9 is maybe 125-130, but this had head work, full system etc).
Said ZX9R was also stupidly downgeared when I first got it - top speed something like 135mph! First gear set altitude rather than speed Smile.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:02 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Are you sure the Triumph had more grunt, rather than lower gearing?

If stock, I suspect your power's a bit down on that if it's a gen 1 Fazer 1000 at least (stock the zx9 is maybe 125-130, but this had head work, full system etc).
Said ZX9R was also stupidly downgeared when I first got it - top speed something like 135mph! First gear set altitude rather than speed Smile.

More grunt on the Triumph? No, I see where I misled you there - other way around! I sometimes missed the grunt of the Fazer when riding the Striple, which was just very linear, no noticeable steps anywhere, unlike a revvier sports 600. The Fazer has more, and a good kick at about 7k rpm too. In perfect conditions it'll see about 170 on the clock, although the speedo's probably a bit optimistic up there, and it'll pull cleanly from about 1500rpm in top.
My Fazer isn't standard (sure I've mentioned this before). Typically they make 135-140rwhp with the mods it has, although I've not had my one dyno'd (I don't care enough about the odd few hp to put it on a dyno - I'm happy with the performance I'm getting).

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
well I've owned an MT-09......torque kicks in far too soon in the rev. range .. waitin for the back wheel to spin-up all the time .. don`t like triples at all now horrible.

The Flash sent out by Yamaha will soon sort that for you!

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, think I'm with G on this one.

My highly scientific research methods can demonstrate that more powah doesn't equal more fun.

I went from a fun XR125 to a divvy 600 after passing my test. The divvy lasted a year, chopped in as it was boring.

Purchased a thundercat (100hp) sports bike. While still quite soft was great fun. Got gifted a SV650 from a friend, which again I enjoyed because it was slow, but the terrible suspension meant that it was going up for sale until it caught fire on the way to Wales BCF BBQ.
After that came the gixxer thousand. Hugely impressive bike, could do everything apart from be economical, which is why it went. From there on went down to a CBR125. After about a year I sold it, with pretty much the only reason why it was sold was that it was hard to find decent tyres in that size. Then bought a CBR250 which I've had for about 2 years now, and while it's a nasty cheap bike, it gets thrown about a lot and consequently a lot of fun. Was able to stay in the middle of the pack on the BCF Wales BBQ ride out and I had a great time doing it. My perfect bike would take the frame and ride of the k5, the brakes of the R1, the lightness of the CBR250 and probably the engine of the ninja 250 plus a few extra horses.

in conclusion - I've had more consistent fun on smaller bikes that I've been able to really give it some, than on high powered sportsbikes.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's as simple as "high power = boring". Yes, there's more to a bike than just outright performance, but equally there's more to riding than just ragging the twisties. Also, what do you consider to be a high power figure? In 1991, my FZR1000EXUP, one of the fastest road bikes available at the time, was quoted as about 145bhp at the crank in derestricted form. My current Fazer has nearly that at the rear wheel, and yet it's a slouch compared to a modern sports bike.

Best fun I've had includes more than one type of riding - caning it on Welsh roads and good European routes, negotiating the gnarly passes of the Lake District, and slow rides on mountain roads whilst taking in the scenery in comfort, knowing the power and handling is available as soon as the roads open up more. Biking would have been much more boring for me if all I wanted was to cane it everywhere I went, which was pretty much what I did when I was younger. I'm getting much more out of it all now.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:34 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_oso wrote:
My perfect bike would take the frame and ride of the k5, the brakes of the R1, the lightness of the CBR250 and probably the engine of the ninja 250 plus a few extra horses.

RC/Duke 390?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:04 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Duke 390?

Starting to suspect you want one of these?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:45 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
Duke 390?

Starting to suspect you want one of these?

I definitely want to try one, it ticks all my boxes. Owning one as an all weather commuter, not so keen.

Same for the G310R, which I expect to be everything we've come to expect from both a modern BMW and an Indian made bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 268 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2