Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Police portable dyno and unrestricted bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ARS125
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:47 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Police portable dyno and unrestricted bike Reply with quote

How many of you guys have or do ride unrestricted bikes on a restricted license? e.g a RS125 on a CBT.

Assuming the bike is insured as being restricted, is the risk really high when pulled over?

The portable dyno that they can bring is also of concern. But i imagine they would only do this if you was clearly riding unrestricted.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm...

be 100% legit, on a derestricted bike, no speaky English, mucho confusion

free dyno test Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Police portable dyno and unrestricted bike Reply with quote

ARS125 wrote:
How many of you guys have or do ride unrestricted bikes on a restricted license? e.g a RS125 on a CBT.

Assuming the bike is insured as being restricted, is the risk really high when pulled over?

The portable dyno that they can bring is also of concern. But i imagine they would only do this if you was clearly riding unrestricted.

Would be interesting outcome once you run over an old lady and police / insurance see lack of restriction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:28 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Police portable dyno and unrestricted bike Reply with quote

ARS125 wrote:
is the risk really high when pulled over?

Pulled over by whom? The rapidly shrinking number of traffic coppers?

You're more likely to get spazzed in a crash than tugged, dynoed, prosecuted (will the CPS touch it?) and convicted.

In the highly unlikely event that you're ever tugged, either keep your mouth shut, or lie confidently.

It might help if you stop fannying about on a CBT and go and get at least an A1 licence. I know and you know that it doesn't make any difference to what you can ride, but Dibble might not, and you can at least bin the L plates.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Police portable dyno and unrestricted bike Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
you can at least bin the L plates.

Most teenagers do anyway don't they?

Tracer1234 wrote:
Would be interesting outcome once you run over an old lady and police / insurance see lack of restriction.

Seen how? Do they check, or simply write it off without looking at it so one of their employees can but it on the cheap? Wink

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:04 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice try officer.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:07 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Police portable dyno and unrestricted bike Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
ARS125 wrote:

You're more likely to get spazzed in a crash than tugged, dynoed, prosecuted (will the CPS touch it?) and convicted.

In the highly unlikely event that you're ever tugged, either keep your mouth shut, or lie confidently.

It might help if you stop fannying about on a CBT and go and get at least an A1 licence. I know and you know that it doesn't make any difference to what you can ride, but Dibble might not, and you can at least bin the L plates.

I disagree on this one. Coppers can spot a 125* and seem to think they all should have L plates.

*I realise we're talking about a sporty 2-stroke so f**k knows what they'll make of it

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who in 2017 even knows what a two stroke is?

Oh and I've never seen this mythical every force has got one portable dyno either, has anyone?
I do suspect it's a scary story that's migrated over from Europe where some countries have much stricter police forces, and 25mph moped laws but with 1000's of them being a nuisance and causing accidents, deaths and antisocial problems.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:25 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did 15 years ago but that's not very relevant to now. Laughing

What portable dyno do plod have? It'd be cheaper and easier for them to seize the vehicle and have it inspected than to call out a mobile dyno.

The only occasions I've seen on here of people getting busted for riding a derestricted bike are people who've fucking admitted it so don't do that.

If / when you get stopped by traffic plod then don't worry and don't crap yourself. If you're stood there looking nervous and guilty as hell then they're more likely to take an interest in you than if you give it the yes officer, no officer, of course officer, thank you officer, etc etc etc.

Act as if you're doing nothing wrong. Act as if you've got every right to be riding around on that bike. Don't be like the people you see on Police Interceptors who when asked which insurance company they're with, stand there ummmm'ing and arrrr'ing whilst trying to think of a lie.

Quote:
Seen how? Do they check, or simply write it off without looking at it so one of their employees can but it on the cheap?

The bigger the claim, the more they're likely to look for ways out of it. For a third party they can't really get out it anyway plus there's always the MIB who payout for uninsured drivers. Either of those would result in the insurance company or MIB pursuing you for their costs but good luck to them with that one and I've never heard of it actually happening.

You'll be fine so go for it. Do what Roger says and stop wobbling around on L plates.

Last edited by Ste on 15:29 - 03 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the thing. Say you write off your RS125 that's not learner legal. Are they really going to put the effort in getting it running and dyno'd?

Agree on the attitude test, fail that and the police will want to nick you for anything they can find

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:43 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Oh and I've never seen this mythical every force has got one portable dyno either, has anyone?

Nope. Closest we've seen is 50cc peds being victimised in organised stings at colleges.

https://i.imgur.com/ngjbudF.jpg

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/8404986.Crack_down_on_mopeds_and_scooters_to_improve_road_safety/

Usual advice: admit to nothing, allow nothing, if it comes down to it, insist on your right to defer the test.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One moped was recorded on a portable ‘rolling road’ at a staggering 58mph

Bet he's gutted, having bought it from someone who claimed it did 90mph

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I want to know though is did Lawrence Hill actually sell this awesome machine with such a well written advert though? Laughing

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:11 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

"bike can be sold with or without MOT up to the buyer"

wtf... yes I will take your home made imagrinary top speeding piece of shit without an MOT..

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:13 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be exactly the same reason that it is difficult to test zosts.

They need to use a government approved and calibrated meter.
They must have had up to date training on the equipment.
And ensure that there is a Job Safety Analysis done.
So they can put a watertight case to court.

They get eggheads from DVSA (Formerly VOSA) to test and report.

It is so easily challenged so the Po Po turn a blind eye.

Unless they know what to look for like NFRU stamps etc.

Grey area.

Possibly in a serious RTA the vehicle would be inspected for modification.
(But mibby they only do that for the plot of a NCIS M&S NCD or whatever that show is called.)

Or as a pincer operation to capture bikers for a Chief Inspector's Statistical Campaign.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if they don't have a portable tester but do have a Bee in their Bonnets they can always give you a producer and send you to a Place of Testing.. Possibly at your expense.

They still inconvenience you.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:23 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
Quote:
One moped was recorded on a portable ‘rolling road’ at a staggering 58mph

Bet he's gutted, having bought it from someone who claimed it did 90mph

90mph machine currently does 0mph however.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/piaggio-motorbikes/piaggio-zip-70cc-sp-conversion-rare-l-k/1258772487

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as your number plate ticks the ANPR boxes and your not riding it like a bell end, what are the chances of plod stopping you? Since Friday I have done roughly 1000 miles mainly on motorways and A roads. Saw one marked traffic dibble sat on a bridge over motorway, by a junction at about 5 this morning. Not seen any more jam sandwiches and occasionally I have *allegedly been going fast enough to irk an unmarked one, should one be about. Shocked

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:25 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they give you a producer then then that'd be an acceptable result as it won't tell them anything about how derestricted your bike is. Wink

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about it, OP.

Given the amount of posts that appear here, about imploding RS125's, it's highly unlikely that you'll actually be spending much time at all riding it.
Most of your time will be spent taking it apart, spending money on parts, putting it back together, ride for ten minutes, rinse and repeat.
The chances of you actually encountering a, mythical, portable plod dyno, considering the time it'll actually be on the road, are very slim indeed.

Buy more spanners and a selection of spark plugs!

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it's a 125 I wouldn't worry about it at all, unlikely to come across an officer that knows it's too powerful for a 125 and even more unlikely for them to get a dyno machine to test.

Have heard of it being done for big bikes when people ride sports litre bikes on A2.

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Police portable dyno and unrestricted bike Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
ARS125 wrote:

What about the 'deferred inspection". Is that still a thing?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:13 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a multi-cylinder bike, simply pop off a plug cap when stopped and put it in your pocket.

If a single. Well. That would still work. Soz officer, broken. Will need to call recovery.

Even putting the choke on would probably outfox most of them.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:27 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Even putting the choke on would probably outfox most of them.

Heck, hit the kill switch and watch the fun.

Dalemac wrote:
What about the 'deferred inspection". Is that still a thing?

Yes.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/67 (part 6)

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/schedule/2
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 267 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3