Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Noise cancelling headphones - Recommendations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:24 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Noise cancelling headphones - Recommendations Reply with quote

I've got some long flights coming up (Saudi then NZ), and I'm very tempted to invest in some (active) noise cancelling headphones.

Am not an audiophile, so as long as sound quality ain't shit, I'm happy.
Ideal budget up to £150.
I have big flappy ears, so I struggle to find comfortable headphones, specially for extended period wearing. I'll need a decent returns policy if buying online.

In ear may be a bonus for sleeping comfort, but I don't even know if such a thing exists at this price.

Any personal recommendations on features to look for or specific models appreciated.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:24 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plantronics BackBeat Pro 2:
https://www.ligo.co.uk/plantronics-backbeat-pro?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_uro25S71QIVlyOBCh0-kwuqEAQYASABEgJX3fD_BwE

Available cheaper elsewhere, that link is just to give you the example. Not sure what Ligo are like for returns policy either.

They get solid reviews.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:40 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Above budget but I have Bose QC20's I think they are about £180 I think.

They are amazing. I use them on the bike everyday they cut out 90% of engine/wind noise on the bike.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Above budget but I have Bose QC20's I think they are about £180 I think.

They are amazing. I use them on the bike everyday they cut out 90% of engine/wind noise on the bike.

I've got these, how do you get them to stay in your ears when you put your lid on?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:10 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the lid apart using the straps as you pull it on. That gets it for me 90% of the time.

Failing that in the past I have tucked a buff over my ears to keep headphones in.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Pull the lid apart using the straps as you pull it on. That gets it for me 90% of the time.

Failing that in the past I have tucked a buff over my ears to keep headphones in.

Helmet is far too tight for that, will try buff in future. Thumbs Up

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:13 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plantronics look fairly bulky to me, but at the right price.

The QC20's tick a lot of boxes for me.
Cheapest I've found them is £198 so far, so bit more than I wanted to spend.
I'll try to find out if anywhere locally has them in store.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be wanting to pay maximum attention to my surroundings on a flight to a place like Saudi Arabia.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
I'd be wanting to pay maximum attention to my surroundings on a flight to a place like Saudi Arabia.

I have to go to Germany with my work a couple of times a year and I get stressed over that. No way would I do 3rd world.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:49 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

To be honest, what are you gonna do if a crazy wants to take the plane down? I try to put worries to one side, otherwise I'd spend the whole time paranoid.

Security at Riyadh can be a joke though. Workmate and I both had tape measures in our backpacks, his got taken, mine didn't. I completely forgot that I also had a 500ml bottle of water fully visible in the side pocket of my bag, they never said a word.

Funny thing is that you take off from Riyadh, and all the women are dressed in full niqab. By the time you land in London, at least half of them have been and got changed into western gear.

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Bose QuetComfort 25.

The bass is a little bit lacking, but you can sort it out to non-audiophile levels with an equaliser on your phone.

Unlike headphones I've owned in the past, I can wear these for the entire day comfortably. My previous headphones (albeit a lot cheaper) have always become increasingly uncomfortable after a few hours.

This model is wired, but I personally find the noise-cancelling better on these than their Quiet Comfort 35s.

An unfortunate fact about them is that without the noise-cancelling turn on (which is obviously battery dependent), the sound quality isn't amazing. I think the headphones have an in-build equaliser that is also battery powered.

For in-ear I have a pair of SoundMagic E80c. Very happy with them for the price. With the volume set correctly and a good fitting set of buds (it comes with a few), I can't hear anything but my music. I've worn them a few times on my bike. My bike's rather loud, so I find it especially weird when I'm wearing these and can't hear my engine/exhaust whilst riding (even with the volume fairly low).

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:47 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the Bose store yesterday and tried the QC20 in-ear and QC25 over-ear... Noise cancelling was very impressive on both, and I was amazed at how comfortable the QC25's were.

I had pretty much ruled out on/over ear models, but I feel like the QC25's are so comfortable I could wear them for long periods..
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 258 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1