Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A question for the mentals of the forum.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: A question for the mentals of the forum. Reply with quote

So, Long story short, I have to go to Bali next week. Don't really want to go, but have too.

Anyway, Travel insurance? How much of a 100% necessity is this?
I ask, because, well, lets say, I don't have the best diagnosis in the world. That and multiple, long and short stays in hospital has been, "enforced" upon. Resulting in insurance quotes coming back with crazy premiums.

Any advice on the situation? Company to go for? Ways of getting travel insurance but excluding pre-existing mental health and just covering the physical.

Tyia.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

*paging Ste, Ste to Dear Auntie. Ste to Dear Auntie, thank you*

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You not got any free policies linked to bank accounts etc? May be ok on the basis they would exclude pre-existing medical issues?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:10 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

fite me

I've always thought that pre existing medical conditions are excluded from cover. The fact you've been sectioned (section 3?) before doesn't mean you're any more likely to catch whatever exotic illnesses can be caught in Bali.

Bali is far enough away that I'd want travel insurance. Laughing

Possibly useful links:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/foreign-travel-advice-for-people-with-mental-health-issues#insurance
https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/guides-to-support-and-services/insurance-cover-and-mental-health/types-of-insurance/#trav

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:19 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: A question for the mentals of the forum. Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
Anyway, Travel insurance? How much of a 100% necessity is this?

110%. Cash up front, or they harvest your organs to shove into ladyboys.

Repatriation expenses are the biggie, you're looking at tens of thousands for that. UK.gov will not contribute.

Sorry, no idea about how to scam insurance. White corporate privilege and that.

Why do you need to go? Are the Voices ordering you?

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all.

It seems that company's are asking for pre-existing conditions regardless. If I could find one that dosen't, that would mean would be covered for any of the Bali Aids that I catch, but not have to pay the extortion for the mental stuff.

However, in case of a "wobble" resulting in a Bali Hospital Holiday, i imagine it would be a bit of a financial butt hurt. Although, I am currently feeling the best I have felt in a while! So the dilemma.

Thank you Ste, I will check out those links!

Last edited by Tracer1234 on 15:40 - 03 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also consider how are you likely to be treated if you have an episode in the country that you are visiting, and weight that against how likely are you to have one.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't go that far without any insurance.

My advice?

If you feel a mental episode coming on, throw yourself down the stairs. Then you can say your psychiatric state was caused by the hurty broken bone you got from falling accidentally down the (badly maintained- then insurers will think they can recoup from the holiday company) stairs Very Happy

HTH

Auntie TSK

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:42 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They ask about existing medical conditions because they want to know what they're not going to cover you for. Razz

The financial butt hurt of a stay in foreign hospitals plus repatriation once you've paid the hospital bill would very quickly run into the tens of thousands.

You say you don't really want to go but have to, if you can't get travel insurance then that's an indisputable reason why you can't go.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a pleasure or work related trip, i ask due to your opening line of not wanting to go, but having to, which usually indicated being forced to by work

If it is indeed a work related trip, shouldn't your work place be stumping up the travel insurance

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:46 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.itv.com/news/2017-05-17/on-assignment-shackling-of-the-mentally-ill-in-indonesia/

Shocked Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If OP don't want to go, I'd say tell work or whoever that you don't do flying and have irrational fears of it that would take years to explore or cure in therapy.

I hate flying long distance so much so that for somewhere that far away they either be packing me onto a container ship or I'd be staying at home.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
You shouldn't go that far without any insurance.

My advice?

If you feel a mental episode coming on, throw yourself down the stairs. Then you can say your psychiatric state was caused by the hurty broken bone you got from falling accidentally down the stairs Very Happy

Sounds like a plan!

Ste wrote:
They ask about existing medical conditions because they want to know what they're not going to cover you for.

Ahh, I think I have misunderstood that then, Better take a closer look.

Some of the info in the links you have sent will help I think as i can find an insurance company that deals with mental health specifically! Thumbs Up

The Mrs sisters wedding. Yes, they are getting married on the other side of the planet. Shocked. Well, they are leagaly married already, this is just the ceremony. A topic that I could talk about for way too long.

And lets just say, my relationship with the family, specifically the sister getting hitched has been rocky to say the least. Many a time has she and her mother tried to convince The other half that she would be far better if she went else where. Much manipulation has been tried. Anyway, that's a stone best left unturned for now.

Ste wrote:
https://www.itv.com/news/2017-05-17/on-assignment-shackling-of-the-mentally-ill-in-indonesia/

Shocked Laughing

https://s20.postimg.org/dzq35b77x/Screenshot_2017-08-03_at_16.01.00.png

Looks good to me! Shocked Confused

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:50 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 6 figure quote for insurance going abroad. I just don't bother anymore, It'll be cheaper for me to just pay the fix me fee.

Haven't died yet.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:18 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
The Mrs sisters wedding. Yes, they are getting married on the other side of the planet. Shocked. Well, they are leagaly married already, this is just the ceremony. A topic that I could talk about for way too long.

And lets just say, my relationship with the family, specifically the sister getting hitched has been rocky to say the least. Many a time has she and her mother tried to convince The other half that she would be far better if she went else where.

Is it because you have no resolve or self respect?

There's no sack big enough for all the "off" that invitation would be getting.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Tracer1234 wrote:

And lets just say, my relationship with the family, specifically the sister getting hitched has been rocky to say the least. Many a time has she and her mother tried to convince The other half that she would be far better if she went else where.

Is it because you have no resolve or self respect?

There's no sack big enough for all the "off" that invitation would be getting.

Unfortunately, The other half really wants me to go. Not going, would not only add serious fuel to the fire of them disliking me, but also add to the other halves current faze of battling what they say and her own feels of worry about the future with me. We have been together for 8 years, but recent times, the relationship has not been the best, especially what with the MH, which the family often use as a weapon to get to Her. Main ammo used to attack, has been MH, looks, Trauma in my past, work, money, amongst others.

So yeah, working to get through the rocky patch, so stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Yawn, Baww, Yawn.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:56 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:

Unfortunately, The other half really wants me to go. Not going, would not only add serious fuel to the fire of them disliking me, but also add to the other halves current faze of battling what they say and her own feels of worry about the future with me. We have been together for 8 years, but recent times, the relationship has not been the best, especially what with the MH, which the family often use as a weapon to get to Her. Main ammo used to attack, has been MH, looks, Trauma in my past, work, money, amongst others.

So yeah, working to get through the rocky patch, so stuck between a rock and a hard place.

No offense, but whenever you hear this kind of sh*t in a relationship, it invariably lasts a year longer max, and the person with the cray-cray other half (Hint: You're not the cray-cray other half in this) is invariably better off and much happier after the dissolution of the relationship.

If they are worried about the future with you, then the relationship is certainly in a hospital bed waiting for serious treatment... And it doesn't sound like a trip to a foreign wedding is what the doctor ordered.

If I were in this situation, with known mental health history I'd F*cking well want repatriation insurance. It sounds like the path through this and out the other side is fraught with obstacles. Whether the risk is worth it is really down to how much you value the relationship, and how you assess the risk of travelling to a third world country and the potential of your issues returning while there.

If it was a quiet holiday in Majorca I'd be saying different things... but there sounds to be a lot of risk factors with this.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have reviewed the thread and earlier advice.

Don't go. You seem to be resigned to resentfully travelling thousands of miles, to be with people you don't like with a partner with whom your relationship is strained. And it'll cost a small fortune.

What could possibly go right?

Do BCF BBQ instead. Much, much cheaper, and a lovely warm glow afterwards which lasts for at least a week. Come and share the love. HT is waiting for you.......

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:33 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My balls are so tight...

On Topc; Mentals should do what makes them feel good otherwise they go mental.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:24 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

On Topc; Mentals should do what makes them feel good otherwise they go mental.

Does this mean I have to do what Ste keeps asking for?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:33 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:

Then it'll be all plain sailing to the sunlit uplands?

Is this really your life plan? You don't get a do-over.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 03 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, someones who hate you, and are already married, choose to jet-off somewhere 'exotic' to get married again and expect everyone else to go along with their chavvy pantomime? Fuck that for a lark.
Tell the 'missus' she's on her own for this one. If she goes (or doesn't) and stands by you then the relationship may be salvageable. If she chooses to discard you then good riddance to her and her stock.
Life's too short to put up with shit....I know from bitter experiences!

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:11 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice. Definitely food for thought. Its something I have been tooing and throwing with for a while, hence putting off insurance etc.

The advice you have given, about life being too short and not having to put up with the non-sense is very true and its something I tell myself a lot.

Further than that, I am going back to Uni next year. 27 and going back to uni, I know very lame and little pathetic, but better late than never to try and achieve a better future. So I certainly feel less like I NEED the relationship. So maybe a change in course is on the cards. Thank you all for not ripping me to shreds.

Anyyyyway...Bawww over... Birthday on Saturday...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:21 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No kids? If you're not actively happy, if the missus hasn't committed to you over her grandstanding relatives, now would be the time to get out.

The only work you need to do in a relationship is to pick the right person to begin with.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: A question for the mentals of the forum. Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
Any advice on the situation? Company to go for? Ways of getting travel insurance but excluding pre-existing mental health and just covering the physical.

I recently went on hols and insured through this outfit:
https://www.leisureguardlitetravelinsurance.com/travel-insurance/single-trip-insurance
They seemed pretty straightforward as regards pre-existing conditions. We had a couple to declare which I talked through with them... one case of depression, which we agreed would not be covered - so, no additional premium for it, but it was very clear that the insured would still be covered for all aspects of healthcare except where directly related to the depression - basically, the fallout of attempting or committing suicide would not be covered, but otherwise all fine. The other one was a potentially life-threatening nut allergy, which I did want covering against - that whacked up the family's premium by about 75%.

Of course I don't know enough about you to know whether you'd be happy not to be covered for your pre-existing condition, or whether that would be even appropriate? But if so, Leisure Guard seems a reasonable bet. Personally I wouldn't even consider travelling to somewhere like Bali completely uninsured though.

As to whether you should travel anyway.... if you don't want to go, can't you just say you'd love to but it's not possible because you can't get travel insurance? Christ, people who travel halfway round the world to get married and expect all their friends and family to stump up and fall in line is a real pet hate of mine!

That said, Bali is a fantastic place to visit though; or was when I went there about 15 years ago. Brilliant (and cheap, once you are there) place for a holiday with the missus if you can escape the outlaws...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 238 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2