Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MCN review Suzuki's new GSX250R

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:53 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: MCN review Suzuki's new GSX250R Reply with quote

I'd summarise the article as: under-powered, over-priced, redundant.

The nicest thing they can find to say is, I jest you not, "the extra cash [versus a cheaper, more powerful CBR300R] buys you a reverse-lit LCD instrument cluster, which is very easy to read".

Wow.

'Kin hell, Suzuki, what on earth were you thinking putting a commuter lump into lardy bike with a GP paintjob and a not-a-GSXR-but-sort-of-a-GSXR name?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:55 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

181kg without fuel Shocked

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:12 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it not just an Inazuma with different "bits"? Apparently they're not very good either.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:15 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll sell when they drop the price by 900 quid on pre registered deals on 0% finance. Possibly.... there are some idiots out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
181kg without fuel Shocked

Shocked That is more than my GSXR1000 K1!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:29 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, it's MCN. 181kg is the wet weight with fuel. Still 11kg more than my Ninja 250, and with 3 litres less fuel to boot.

Why they list the non-ABS weight is a puzzler, plus they're still mentioning that it comes with ABS like that's under question now... eh, MCN. They're really having to scrabble around for anything positive to say about it.

Bricktop
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:06 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus. That rear 'mudguard'...

Look, either make them with a big proper mudguard or put on a hugger and tail tidy.

Those fucking trusses for the number plate need to be consigned to Room 101.

Edit: Oh the matte black powdercoat can die in a fire as well.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Come on, it's MCN. 181kg is the wet weight with fuel. Still 11kg more than my Ninja 250, and with 3 litres less fuel to boot.

Why they list the non-ABS weight is a puzzler, plus they're still mentioning that it comes with ABS like that's under question now... eh, MCN. They're really having to scrabble around for anything positive to say about it.

The Suzuki (UK) site lists the 'kerb mass' as 181kg. I thought kerb weight was without fuel, and used by companies like Suzuki to make their porkers look lighter.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

The Suzuki (UK) site lists the 'kerb mass' as 181kg.

Kerb is fuel + oil

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's wet weight?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 19:26 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I genuinely cannot understand how it is that heavy Laughing

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 19:29 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a full tank of fuel it is heavier than my Speed Four on reserve. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I genuinely cannot understand how it is that heavy Laughing

Like most of their bikes, find the heaviest material known to man, make a frame out of it then build from there.

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1963 Honda CB72 made 26 BHP from a two valve single OHC engine, my my, how things have advanced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjdugen wrote:
The 1963 Honda CB72 made 26 BHP from a two valve single OHC engine, my my, how things have advanced.

Yup, the Suzuki will be infinitely more reliable, economical, less polluting, have a wider torque and power spread. But it is a couple of bhp down so.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:36 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
jjdugen wrote:

Yup, the Suzuki will be infinitely more reliable, economical, less polluting, have a wider torque and power spread. But it is a couple of bhp down so.

I'd be more concerned with it gaining nearly 30kg. Bikes are going the way of cars Crying or Very sad

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if in 89 that RGV owners imagined this beastly GSXR as the future nearly 30years later?

It'd be like knowing you'd have to chop your own dick off just when your about to start using it.

Bricktop
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:49 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I wonder if in 89 that RGV owners imagined this beastly GSXR as the future nearly 30years later?

It'd be like knowing you'd have to chop your own dick off just when your about to start using it.

Those RGV owners (of which I was one) also never expected that the scintillating dance music of the 90's would devolve into Calvin fucking Harris and Clean cunting Bandit.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:59 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

"lies a peppy 248cc parallel twin motor, producing just 24.7bhp"

Jesus H.

I stopped reading at that point.

What is the f**king point ?

Who goes to all the effort and cost of a better license, just to buy that POS ?

Small bikes can be cool. This is not going to be one of those.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:17 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I'd be more concerned with it gaining nearly 30kg. Bikes are going the way of cars Crying or Very sad

I am concerned about the weight gains but it's not the same gravy as the car bloating of late. I doubt bikes are going to sprout impact protection bars, air bags and electric windows sunshine roof and 18 speaker surround sound system with integrated WiFi and LCD screens.

The weight gain I reckon is just because they can't be bothered at this level, because A2 licence holders are restricted on power to weight anyway.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
M.C wrote:

I am concerned about the weight gains but it's not the same gravy as the car bloating of late. I doubt bikes are going to sprout impact protection bars, air bags and electric windows sunshine roof and 18 speaker surround sound system with integrated WiFi and LCD screens.

The weight gain I reckon is just because they can't be bothered at this level, because A2 licence holders are restricted on power to weight anyway.

Is it that they can't be bothered, or that our licence restrictions don't make any sense on a Global scale?

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: MCN review Suzuki's new GSX250R Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'd summarise the article as: under-powered, over-priced, redundant.

The nicest thing they can find to say is, I jest you not, "the extra cash [versus a cheaper, more powerful CBR300R] buys you a reverse-lit LCD instrument cluster, which is very easy to read".

Wow.

'Kin hell, Suzuki, what on earth were you thinking putting a commuter lump into lardy bike with a GP paint job and a not-a-GSXR-but-sort-of-a-GSXR name?

The review seems as though it must have been hard work. Feels like they would have rather just put... "hated it"... and left it as that.

Last edited by Tracer1234 on 01:27 - 06 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:25 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
M.C wrote:

250s used to be more powerful tiddlers, now they just seem to be underpowered big bikes. Also probably worth remembering Suzuki don't want to sell bikes, otherwise it would be a 300.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:38 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

250s used to be more powerful tiddlers, now they just seem to be underpowered big bikes. Also probably worth remembering Suzuki don't want to sell bikes, otherwise it would be a 300.

Buying habits change. Just look on here - near every what bike on A2 the Fazer gets thrown in because it's the most powerful you can have 'restricted'. The 250/300 class isn't selling bucket loads these days as everyone wants a 600+ and even then 800cc seems to be the new middleweight. The only reason to have a 250 is because your licence stops you having something bigger - this bike will do well with rich kids that think it's something it isn't. Much like the R125. But it's an even more limited market than that. It's no surprise they won't throw a load of effort and development at it.

Hell 20 mins ago you were advocating a lad not to bother with A2 for the couple of years he had to wait for DAS. So that's another one that's not going to buy a tiddler.

They're alright second bikes - much as Roger is proving - but as an only bike? Not so sure.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arry, the thing is if your going to have it as a second bike. And especially if it's one that ain't gotta be a reliable daily ride, you might as well buy an old RG125FUN or RG200. Both have at least 30bhp, weigh 30-40kg less dry, and would be once set up a proper little back roads scalpel.

The big RGV would be like a flighty twitchy little exocet missile in comparison.

I know I'm being a cock talking about something that can never be A2 compliant, but anyone who's buying a small bike for a second bike that doesn't apply to. Your point about making these A2 bikes cheap and heavy, is fair too, but in the 90's you couldn't sell a sportsbike if it wasn't an aluminium beam framed, high tech bike with fully adjustable suspension, and stuff like USD forks, sticky tyres and big brakes.

I don't think peoples want list is much different today really.
Saying that theres people mostly older folk buying these CBR 300's and Ninja's etc as a light easy to manage bike in their late riding years, just as they would buy a scooter etc. But the A2 bikes arnt selling to anyone who actually is supposed to buy them due to their licencing restrictions.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3