Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Should I get an A2 licence at my age?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tastevodka
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:02 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Should I get an A2 licence at my age? Reply with quote

I've just turned 22 last month and have been debating on doing my full licence for about 5 months. Do you guys think it's worth waiting almost 2 full years for an unrestricted?

I've looked into a few things and I think I'd definitely be going with like a restricted 600 rather than a 250-500 47hp bike. Although the 660cc MT03 looks like a good 45hp choice because I commute a lot on my bike(all year round, through everything including storms Very Happy )

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:44 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Should I get an A2 licence at my age? Reply with quote

Tastevodka wrote:
I've just turned 22 last month and have been debating on doing my full licence for about 5 months. Do you guys think it's worth waiting almost 2 full years for an unrestricted?

I've looked into a few things and I think I'd definitely be going with like a restricted 600 rather than a 250-500 47hp bike. Although the 660cc MT03 looks like a good 45hp choice because I commute a lot on my bike(all year round, through everything including storms Very Happy )

It has its pros and cons at your age.

You can get yourself onto a bigger bike and depending on restriction you wont notice much difference. We have 2 restricted bikes, a 33BHP restricted Gladius which is ECU restricted, we have the full power ECU too so we can use it on full power. We also have a CBF600 which is carb restricted to 46bhp. The only real difference between the bikes and full power is the Gladius wont go faster than 90 and the CBF just tops 100. (tried both on a private road honest)

The downside is you would need to do a full Cat A when you are 24 and some schools charge you for a full DAS course which is not good. (We dont)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't think it's worth it at 22 for the cost of doing the tests. (£850 for me). If you were 19, like I was when I did mine, then probably yes.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Should I get an A2 licence at my age? Reply with quote

Tastevodka wrote:

It's 47 bhp as well, and a decent shout if you can find one (in good nick) for under 2k. I sold mine for £1500 and it's up for sale for a grand more Rolling Eyes

Depends what your other options are, personally I couldn't spend two years on a 125, one was purgatory. An option might be getting a bike you can restrict for A2 and then de-restrict to take your A tests yourself. Only thing to watch out for is the requirements are changing for an 'A bike' (in 2018 iirc).

pig hog
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:07 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on whether or not you actually want to get on a big bike or not.

If you're not that bothered then perhaps it won't seem worthwhile but I did my A2 when I was 22, knowing that I didn't want a 125 on L-plates and would definitely make the same choice again.

If it were two months then that's a different story entirely but two years is a long enough time to be waiting around and wishing, instead of gaining valuable riding experience.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also gets your new driver act 2 years counting down, assuming you haven't already passed any tests.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:41 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Also gets your new driver act 2 years counting down, assuming you haven't already passed any tests.

I see that as a downside Smile On a learner's you have 12 points*(?) rather than 6 as a new driver before your licence gets revoked.

*Not actually found evidence of this, I've heard of people racking up a lot more

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:34 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Should I get an A2 licence at my age? Reply with quote

Yes, stop fannying around on a 125 and a CBT and get A2. Because...

pinkyfloyd wrote:
The downside is you would need to do a full Cat A when you are 24 and some schools charge you for a full DAS course which is not good. (We dont)

... why would you go via a training school to go from A2 to A?

Just buy a 40kW - 70kW 595cc+ bike and DIY it for about £90. It's exactly the same tests as you've already passed. If BodyFazerGuard can do it, anyone can.

M.C wrote:
arry wrote:

I see that as a downside Smile On a learner's you have 12 points*(?) rather than 6 as a new driver before your licence gets revoked.

Your cunning plan being to never get a licence then?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:51 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Should I get an A2 licence at my age? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:

Your cunning plan being to never get a licence then?

Just pointing out I don't see it as a plus, and is a reason why I'd rather ride (a 125) on a CBT than get my licence.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:25 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Should I get an A2 licence at my age? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

pinkyfloyd wrote:

... why would you go via a training school to go from A2 to A?

I dunno, I just work there. But they do. Many schools have the cheek to charge for a full 3 day DAS course. We charge £100 on top of the test fee's for the 2 half day training sessions to knock out bad habits and make sure you are good to go on our bikes. But we do a surprising amount of them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tastevodka
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:11 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I'm probably going to go with RogerBorg; I think it might save me more money in the long run and I really cba with a 125 anymore I mean it is fun and it can get up to 60 just like any other bike but commuting is awful sometimes bc I have to already go 15minutes out of my way by not going on the motorway to get to work lol... And near me there's loads of boy racers always wanting to race me bc I filter to the front and they get pissed (I live near Bradford)

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:33 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tastevodka wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys, I think I'm probably going to go with RogerBorg; I think it might save me more money in the long run and I really cba with a 125 anymore I mean it is fun and it can get up to 60 just like any other bike but commuting is awful sometimes bc I have to already go 15minutes out of my way by not going on the motorway to get to work lol... And near me there's loads of boy racers always wanting to race me bc I filter to the front and they get pissed (I live near Bradford)

Good shout,

I would also say just crack on and do it if you can afford it! Plus, if you go and potato or deaded yourself in a year / 2 years time, at least you would have had some fun on a bigger bike before. Life is short, if you want to do it, go for it Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:48 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tastevodka wrote:
I think I'm probably going to go with RogerBorg

Buy me dinner first and we'll see. Haggis supper.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:41 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget:
Changes to category A from 2018
From the end of 2018:

the power output will change to at least 50 kW
a minimum kerb weight of 180 kg will apply
Motorcycles affected by this change are shown on the list as A*. They won’t be able to be used for test from the end of 2018. This change is still subject to EU approval.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:00 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, but most 595cc+ bikes are already over that power and weight. It's just Brussels pissing in the punchbowl for the sake of it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:16 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's 30 bikes on the DVSA's list (so more in reality). Worth being aware of.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:14 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point. Mostly foggit cruisers and commuters and the KTM 690 Enduro R? Oh, too light.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 18:10 - 08 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:23 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will save us from ourselves though. There's empirical evidence that those that pass their tests on machines that have fewer horsepower and fewer kilograms than Brussels now suggests are necessary have already died in a big fireball.

I'm surprised I'm not dead yet, as I did mine on a GS500 with only 38kw and weighing only 170kg. And they didn't make me push it backwards into a cone garage either.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:12 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

HN125-8 with about 10hp and 125kg (dry).

I did the cones though, which is the only reason that I'm still alive today.

That and my faith in Rainpal® preserves me.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:29 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't understand why anyone would want to ride a 125 a moment longer than necessary. With a headwind, going uphill, you'll be overtaken by grannies in city cars! Bigger bike asap. In my day you passed your test on a 49cc and were immediately qualified to ride 1000cc! The World's gone soft!

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:
Can't understand why anyone would want to ride a 125 a moment longer than necessary. With a headwind, going uphill, you'll be overtaken by grannies in city cars! Bigger bike asap. In my day you passed your test on a 49cc and were immediately qualified to ride 1000cc! The World's gone soft!

I wouldn't have upgraded from my downgraded CBR125 if I could find some half decent tyres for it.

It was stritcly used for commuting from Twickenham into Canary Wharf, so on the few occasions where you could open up the throttle you'd hit another set of lights or traffic and be filtering again. Was cheap as chips to run and so narrow and easy to manourver round traffic that a 125 made perfect sense. I appreciate that not everyone has a commute like this, but certainly was a valid reason to have a 125.

As for the OP. Do you have another form of trasnport? If you don't have car, do the A2. It opens up where you can go by being able to use motorways (assuming you don't have a1). Two years a relatively long time.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with 125's the 50-60 mph time. Even the quickest 125s struggle: https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/group-tests/teenage-dreams---sports-125-shootout

Personally that's why I found A Roads terrifying, getting to 50 wasn't a problem, not having the power to get away from cars at those speeds was. Also if you like overtaking (around town) you need more power Smile

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:29 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Problem with 125's the 50-60 mph time. Even the quickest 125s struggle.....Personally that's why I found A Roads terrifying, getting to 50 wasn't a problem, not having the power to get away from cars at those speeds was. Also if you like overtaking (around town) you need more power Smile

Thumbs Up +1..... Bicycle is the fastest through lots of lights! But once you have a number plate, bigger power is handy. The scramble with cars means you need to get out of trouble quick, often. Believe it or not, my 195 bhp comes in useful sometimes! Even within speed limits, it's surprising how important horses can be. That's why the vast majority of full licence riders choose bikes 600cc and over, even in town. In the jungle, it helps if you are the tiger. However I do fancy a 125 scooter for the wet stuff!

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, around town I find the 125 far easier to manage than the 600. Smaller, lighter and a bit more nimble....

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd not do A2 if I was 22 and could take an A test in two years. I don't buy the do it now cos life is too short in some ways, as I'd want defined targets, and plans for certain things at certain times, because I want to be in control and not be a flitter with things keep changing my mind and plans all the time.

If I wanted a Golf Gti for example at age 26, I'd be saving up for years before and passing my test maybe two years before and insuring a shit heap for my NCB. If you live long enough to make all these goals at certain ages then it's all candy. If you don't then you won't miss what you never had too.

I also have a hatred for A2 and this stupid modern euro licencing business, and I'm a stubborn fucker too. There isn't one A2 bike I'd be happy with in std trim, and I believe even less in restricting an over 600cc bike, as I don't want to ride one that's not as good or better than a std bike.

So in your position I'd do:

1, sit on hands and say fuck bikes for two years until I can have and insure what I realistically want and realistically afford at the time.

2, if you have a car already, then spend two years on that enjoying it and maybe getting something nice you want, with the idea that if you enjoy your car phase now, you might want to sell at 24 to fund a nice bike and try two wheels for a bit.

3, if your loaded, and could do with a 2nd form of transport or for city use, then buy a new 125cc scooter. If it don't get nicked, you'll get a good resale on it after two years, and will have benefited from some useful cheap city transport. A 125cc scooter can still be fun, it's the roads and scenery that make the fun, not the bike.

Or if you only want a bike for fun, weekends and for riding on your days off etc, I'd go out and buy a pinnacle 125 that's a bit exotic and special, and enjoy thrashing it and getting you some bike experience too.

A2 wouldn't figure anywhere in my plans, but then again if the bike was going to be a daily beater and you needed a big bike, then I do reluctantly understand why some would.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 251 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2