Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fabric Clothing Advice - All weathers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

MilesH
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Fabric Clothing Advice - All weathers Reply with quote

I'm new to the forum so hello to all first of all Smile

I've come back to bikes after a long time and I could do with some clothing advice. I feel the cold very easily due to poor circulation and I am looking for some fabric biking gear that I'll wear all year round. I notice al lot have up to 3 layers (removable) but there are quite a few different makes and prices range vastly.

Can anyone advise on the warmest (and waterproof) fabric equipment they would consider. I assume Gortex would be best or are there other suitable equivalents for waterproof jackets and trousers, and does anyone know which brands are best for overall warmth?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a T1 diabetic with lousy circulation .......

Goretex if you're made of money .... with liners underneath. It will breathe, stop you sweating, keep you dry but by itself it won't keep you warm.

If not then ordinary textiles plus layers, base layers ... another layer ... then another layer .... specifically the sort of base layer clothing you'd wear if you went hiking / fell walking in the cold.

On top of that ... heated grips ... then a heated under jacket if you are still cold. For every 10mph you get one - degree of windchill or something like that.

Get boots that you can fit decent socks on under - i like the EDZ thermal stuff.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:44 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gore Tex will keep you dry, not warm per se. Keep an eye on eBay for used gore-tex gear, you can save hundreds over the new price.

Warmth comes from layers. Merino wool really does work well. In winter I go: work shirt + thin merino shirt + wool jumper + gore-tex bike jacket. Legs get jeans + cordura bike trousers with a thermal lining.

Thermal ski socks + gore-tex lined army boots on my feet.

Hands are taken care of with heated grips + muffs. Gloves become more or or less irrelevant with that combination, I often wear unlined summer gloves in winter.

Stopping wind chill from penetrating is also important. A one piece waterproof oversuit will help with that, and will ensure that you stay totally dry.

I'm deliberately not mentioning brands because we could all tell you which brand we wear, but no individual answer is going to be the correct one to your question of which is best.

Best is layers.

MilesH
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both, appreciate the replies Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:19 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot, the neck. The one branded item I would recommend is this Frank Thomas neck tube (or functional equivalent). Cutting out drafts and wind chill really helps, I mucked around with smaller items for ages before settling on this for winter wear.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Oh, I forgot, the neck. The one branded item I would recommend is this Frank Thomas neck tube (or functional equivalent). Cutting out drafts and wind chill really helps, I mucked around with smaller items for ages before settling on this for winter all year round wear (coz scotchland).

FTFY Laughing

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Oh, I forgot, the neck. The one branded item I would recommend is this Frank Thomas neck tube (or functional equivalent). Cutting out drafts and wind chill really helps, I mucked around with smaller items for ages before settling on this for winter wear.

You ever try their thermal gloves they sell for a tenner or so?

Forcefield "climate control" lasted above five minutes last year before they fell apart getting constantly stuck on the Velcro of jacket, fifteen squidaddle down the drain for larks.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:01 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
You ever try their thermal gloves they sell for a tenner or so?

https://i.imgur.com/Zm0yL5x.gif
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1