48%
 48%  [ 17 ]
F**k off cager c**t
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 35

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:24 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Euro NCAP ratings Reply with quote

Do they bother you/influence your buying decisions? Probably seems a bit silly compared to bikes, but as you're strapped into the car and crumpling metal's the difference between being potato or not, is safety a high priority for you?

https://www.stillbreathing.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/crash-testing-dummies.jpg

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:10 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never even consider it tbh.

Think of the guys on here that have been perma-spazzed by offs at 20mph on a bike. Even in a really "unsafe" car they'd most likely be minor injuries at worst.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:30 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've still got injuries from a low speed off a few years back, so I think that's what has made me think about it, before then I'd never been injured so didn't realise what fun it was Neutral

Imagine you have a really big smash on the motorway, would a 5 star car (which I currently own) perform that much better than a 4 or 3 star? Could you interpret it literally and say you'd be 20 and 40% worse off (I know it's an overall score based on different factors).

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be ashamed at your girl speak even starting this thread. Fucking Ncap safety records? That's what took all the fun cars off the road way too early.

We could have had factory 160bhp 1.8 Metro's and Mk3 Fiesta zetec 2.0 ST170's etc years ago when it would have been pretty cheap to build a full beans hot hatchback, if it wasn't for Ncap and the other safety shit that stopped all the fun.

Cars should be or at least for me are about:

1, the smallest cheapest box on wheels that's pennies to run and gets you A-B. In modern day terms that's about an Aygo or similar, or something Smart size but without the daft cost.

2, being eligible for the retro rides forum, and be all about the project status, and what mad plans you've got for them.

I don't get why people want luxury barges, crossovers, Range Rover superiority, perceived premium badges on their key rings, or endless techno features and connectivity etc?

I ain't even got a hands free phone system in my work van, and I don't want one either. If I have to take calls all day I ain't even gonna get in the cab, or I'll switch it off before I drive. I don't know of any UK firms that force you to talk and drive at the same time, and if there are then I ain't gonna work for them.

Maybe life/work is different in London so that the above is impossible, I'm never going to find out though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see crashing as just luck really.

There's some people who have come off at high speed and walked away without a scratch, other who smash their pelvis/femur at 20mph and are fucked for life, and then all the other cases in between the two extremes.

I'd take the opinion that "don't crash" is more useful than buying cars on the basis of crashing safer. When it comes down to "try not to crash" on my list losing NCB and insurance ballaches come higher than "I might get hurt".

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:26 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Metro, what a loss to motoring Rolling Eyes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw5wtWAj3Mc

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite interesting, I'd be interested to see how the old 90s Volvo "tanks" did.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:33 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing not that well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBDyeWofcLY (if you get an advert close and re-open it).

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It had an air bag, what more do you want? Wink

I've seen more 200bhp+ Metro's at car shows, than I have Jazz's. And I know for a fact it's cheaper to build such a Metro or mk3 Fiesta, or Nova etc, than it is to make a Jazz of that spec.

The crash results would have been no different if you'd shown a Renault 5 or Citroën Ax etc.

Maybe I'm just looking for the wrong things in my cars? Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:34 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I'm looking at a different car for the powah increase. I also had no idea about my cars safety rating when I bought it.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never really owned a car.

Considerations would be how cheap is it, how small is it, I can just about park a small car.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be careful just looking at a bhp increase alone though, as it's often really missing the point in newer cars.

You can buy a 200bhp Audi saloon now, that does a nice quiet drama free dash to 60mph in about 7seconds and over 40mpg and is all quiet and peaceful on the motorway etc.

But thanks to all your 7air bags, and sat navs and can bus electronic systems, it's still pretty pathetic to be honest.

25years ago a 200bhp engine in a family hatchback etc would have been absolutely ballistic and hard to deploy on anything other than perfect grippy track tarmac.

Weight is the enemy and must be exterminated at all cost.

There's a 1989 fastest ever 2wd hatchback I can think of that did 0-60 in 6.7seconds, on just 152bhp. 200bhp makes them super car destroyers when your rocking just 960kg kerb weight.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:07 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's a supercharged Cooper S, so definitely quicker Smile, but not that much lighter.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Y
There's a 1989 fastest ever 2wd hatchback I can think of that did 0-60 in 6.7seconds, on just 152bhp. 200bhp makes them super car destroyers when your rocking just 960kg kerb weight.

was that the Renault GT2?

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:52 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
It had an air bag, what more do you want? Wink

After seeing a few go off at the BBQ, I do not want to have one go off in my face, thanks.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Well it's a supercharged Cooper S, so definitely quicker Smile, but not that much lighter.

You'll be surprised but even someone that's a tad old fashioned like me, doesn't mind the first gen R53 Bini.

Its 1130kg so while heavy for the size of the car it's still light compared to any modern hot hatch and while the Chrysler 1.6 engine isn't the greatest thing in the world, the supercharger makes it peppy and has that sexual whine.

You'll do well to keep some cash back for the various niggles that'll probably crop up on these older cars, but your probably definitely best off buying a real enthusiast owners Club modified example, that's had a no expense spared caring owner that knows these cars inside out.

What you really don't want is a 3-4 owners hard used/abused car out the classifieds with a patchy service history.

I witnessed one of the most epic battles, between an R53 Cooper S and an EK civic type R, coming off a roundabout onto an uphill dual carriageway a few years ago.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:
Y

was that the Renault GT2?

The Renault 5 turbo2 was a touch quicker and lighter, but that was in 1983, and it was a homologation special.

The later GT turbo was still lighter than the car I mentioned, but not quite as quick with its 120bhp, though probably the fastest 120bhp hatchback of all time though!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:07 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
M.C wrote:

You'll be surprised but even someone that's a tad old fashioned like me, doesn't mind the first gen R53 Bini.

Its 1130kg so while heavy for the size of the car it's still light compared to any modern hot hatch and while the Chrysler 1.6 engine isn't the greatest thing in the world, the supercharger makes it peppy and has that sexual whine.

You'll do well to keep some cash back for the various niggles that'll probably crop up on these older cars, but your probably definitely best off buying a real enthusiast owners Club modified example, that's had a no expense spared caring owner that knows these cars inside out.

What you really don't want is a 3-4 owners hard used/abused car out the classifieds with a patchy service history.

I witnessed one of the most epic battles, between an R53 Cooper S and an EK civic type R, coming off a roundabout onto an uphill dual carriageway a few years ago.

It's not a sensible purchase, but having a N/A 1.6's like being back on a 125 Neutral

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:29 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the late 80s my step brother had a Ford RS2000, it was made out of at least 3 other cars, put together by him and a mate in a lock-up, and broke down about twice a week, and got pulled over by the police as often.

body shell was different colour to all the doors etc, had a roll cage and bucket seats, looked like a scrap heap, and seemed to be really stupidly quick

spent many evenings in the passenger seat too young to own a bike, with house music blasting out the stereo hooning round the country lanes late at night Laughing

still didn't tempt me into getting a car though.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:36 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car is a pretty light weight thing at just over a 1000kg. 138bhp as standard, 7k redline and handling (and spec list)
that would shame a great many cars. No turbo, just flog it till it screams. And a 5 star NCAP rating to go with it all.
The very newest iterations of the Swift only get 3 stars.

BrownTrousers
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:08 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike is for fun. Bike is just for me; safety (safety features anyway) is close to irrelevant.

Car is for function. Car is for transporting 2 year old child around; safety is important.

That said, I don't specifically compare car safety records when deciding what to purchase because I tend to buy pretty modern, mid size cars and i figure that they are all broadly going to be relatively safe (compared to old cars, small cars or bikes).

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
My car is a pretty light weight thing at just over a 1000kg. 138bhp as standard, 7k redline and handling (and spec list)
that would shame a great many cars. No turbo, just flog it till it screams. And a 5 star NCAP rating to go with it all.

I noticed that about the new fiat 500, they've gone from 5 to 3 star as well. I wonder if they're scoring cars differently, as I doubt they'd purposely make a car less safe Confused

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:21 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
grr666 wrote:

I noticed that about the new fiat 500, they've gone from 5 to 3 star as well. I wonder if they're scoring cars differently, as I doubt they'd purposely make a car less safe Confused

They've changed it all so that if you fit Retard Protection Devices you get better scores. On premium cars things like blind spot warning beepers and the like are pretty much standard but they're an option on lower end models and don't qualify for a Super Gold Star from EuroNCAP. If your car automatically dials 999 when the airbag goes off you get a Super Gold Star regardless of the fact it could have been the automated braking it's fitted with that's caused the crash in the first place.

Another thing to consider on NCAP is that they aren't particularly relevant unless the car you go head on into happens to be of a similar size / weight to the one you're driving. 5 star safety rating is great for a Suzuki Swift as long as you happen to crash into a Fiat 500. If you get nailed by a Rangie all bets are well and truly off.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:28 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Weight is the enemy and must be exterminated at all cost.

You've driven modern hot hatches, right?

Torsional Structural Rigidity in modern hot hatches is phenomenal compared to just 10 years ago; comparing it to the bean tins you're talking about is just off the scale.

Yeah, a new hot hatch might weigh more than an old one, but believe me even with 250bhp and a 960kg kerb weight you'd not be catching anything modern unless it's in a dead straight line on a rolling start.

'Fun' maybe you could argue, but modern equipment would absolutely beast that of the past. My 16 year old 911 wouldn't keep up with a modern Focus ST in the real world, let alone something a bit tastier like an RS, Civic Type R etc.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
They've changed it all so that if you fit Retard Protection Devices you get better scores. On premium cars things like blind spot warning beepers and the like are pretty much standard but they're an option on lower end models and don't qualify for a Super Gold Star from EuroNCAP. If your car automatically dials 999 when the airbag goes off you get a Super Gold Star regardless of the fact it could have been the automated braking it's fitted with that's caused the crash in the first place.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense Confused Crash tests should be just that, although the 999 feature might be useful: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/08/investigation-police-couple-lain-car-wreck-scotland-days-bannockburn

arry wrote:
Another thing to consider on NCAP is that they aren't particularly relevant unless the car you go head on into happens to be of a similar size / weight to the one you're driving. 5 star safety rating is great for a Suzuki Swift as long as you happen to crash into a Fiat 500. If you get nailed by a Rangie all bets are well and truly off.

I was thinking that when I saw the mk2 MX-5 was 4 stars, a Range Rover would drive straight over it and carry on.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 264 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2