Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Here comes the rain again...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:46 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Here comes the rain again... Reply with quote

My current jacket is still in pretty good nick for being 10 years old. I give it a tech wash every six months and water proof wise its still pretty good lasting a good 40 mins in pretty heavy rain.

The problem it does have though is that the outer shell is no longer water resistant so it takes about 3 days to dry...

With this in mind before the weather gets too gloomy I want to get some spray on water repellent stuff.

So...

What do you use?
Is it good?
Where did you get it?

Cheers

(I did a brief search but the last post I could see on this was 2012)

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

forget it... none of it will sort out a 10 year old jacket.

best bet is get a 1-piece waterproof oversuit. best bike related thing I've ever bought.

this is the HG one I bought for about a tenner on ebay.

https://www.hein-gericke-outlet.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/1/11068703-de000009614-bullson_basic_2_rain_suit_black.jpg

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:56 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

After many years hiking around in non breathable stuff whenever I see rain suits I cant help but think of sweaty balls.. Very Happy and the ball ache of getting them on and off. Although I guess the latter is much less than drying my current stuff out at work.

mmm while I think about that I should order some sealskin too.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:04 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are pukka. And reasonably priced. Check the reviews.
Also available in hi viz and black

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
After many years hiking around in non breathable stuff whenever I see rain suits I cant help but think of sweaty balls.. Very Happy and the ball ache of getting them on and off. Although I guess the latter is much less than drying my current stuff out at work.

mmm while I think about that I should order some sealskin too.

They are a proper faff if you arent expecting rain. But as long as long as you plan in advance that you will need it, you can adjust your layers accordingly and get properly suited beforehand.

Jan - Apr for me im pretty much in it every commute. Light T-shirt - then bike jacket - then typhoon suit.

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^this...

I used to keep it under my seat for emergencies if weather was dry. and just wear it if rain was forecast.

it only ever made me sweaty when I wore it in the dry, expecting rain.

in the rain it allowed me to ride on unaffected, toasty, bone dry, comfortable Smile

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

you tried the wash in nikwax TK direct?

The spray on stuff does very little, the wash in stuff helps it bead and run off instead of soaking in

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:53 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been keeping an eye on eBay for a used Gore-Tex jacket? I'm pretty gay for my red Rukka (no homo).

A one piece does work, but I agree that they can be overkill for the on-again, off-again weather that we get here.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

not tried the Richa one piece. I can imagine its a faff when the sky suddenly opens up

What ever you do, DON'T buy the RST 2 piece items, as per the links below

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/191067
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/191059

Whilst waterproof.. they don't last long at all. Both my jacket, and a mates trousers and jacket split down one of the seams after no more than 2 months of daily use. The velcro down the middle is rubbish after a few uses and the velcro neck strap came apart after a few weeks.
I glued mine back together because too many bike parts purchased already this year.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:50 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
not tried the Richa one piece. I can imagine its a faff when the sky suddenly opens up

One of my gear-grinders - literally, now that I think about it - is the ankle zips on over-trousers. I always seem to get material caught in the zipper, on every brand that I've tried. Exactly the last thing that you need when you're hopping about one one foot, half in, half out. Mad

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Klim Traverse Jacket.. was around £200 2 years ago, laminated goretex for wet days, large pit vents that aren't blocked by a waterproof layer for warm days.

Also for those confusing wet but sweaty days, with the pit vents open during rain, I don't get wet 😁

Happy days. Rain doesn't bother me anymore...

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
These are pukka. And reasonably priced. Check the reviews.
Also available in hi viz and black

I've got one, and the Richa typhoon is a decent one piece.

However, as others have said it's a right faff to get on once it starts raining. Enough of a faff that I end up saying sod it and carry on riding in the hope it will stop soon...

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wear leathers, give them a spray with nikiwax. My a* jacket leaks a suprisingly tiny amount considering the large vents on the shoulder. Similarly my new spada trousers do not leak in the elasticated groin area, which my previous did Only once, after epic rain, did I arrive with a visibly wet tshirt after a 120 blast down to work, and that was before the nikiwax.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:00 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
you tried the wash in nikwax TK direct?

The spray on stuff does very little, the wash in stuff helps it bead and run off instead of soaking in

Yep always used the wash in, and to be fair time to rain penetration is not far off when I bought the jacket so that bit does the job as far as the Gortex goes. its just drying the outer layers out once they are wet.

I have ordered some of this linkyloo which will arrive tomorrow so time will tell if it helps.

I think keeping a over suit under my seat might quickly melt it on the FZ6 Smile I do carry a back pack so if the Scotch guard fails I guess I will just carry the over suit in that.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use painpals full body wiper, works wonders

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:38 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Scotchguard arrived on Friday and I gave my Jacket a liberal coating as per instructions yesterday which was lucky as it was wet today.

After one trip in the rain its hard to draw any definitive conclusions but the water did bead and roll off where before it would have just soaked in to the outer fabric so it looks to have done what it said it would. The rain was not the heaviest this morning so time will tell how long it lasts in a downpour and how quickly it wears off but for now I am happy.

Thumbs Up

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:12 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/33270

Not had a drop come through wearing this for half a year so far. Very easy going to get on/off without a faff.

Bet their 1-piece as someone else linked is well worth it.

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:12 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever used the ride tribe waterproof suit
Just seen it on you tube
Is there a uk stockist?
I tried the Google
It's American made but they seem to have it in Australia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 184 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1