Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Best way to make a start off road

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:02 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Best way to make a start off road Reply with quote

So I enjoyed bouncing slowly around the mx track on G's bike way more than expected and would like to do more. Any recommendations on where to start without breaking the bank? Had a google and got very confused with mx/enduro/greenlaning, types of bikes etc. A lot seems to be race oriented which I can't see happening any time this century!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:44 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Best way to make a start off road Reply with quote

Competition enduro bikes (like the KTM you rode) can also make great 'casual' bikes - they are lightweight with good suspension.
Most of them have a much more linear engine character than that KTM.
However, they don't tend to do as well on roads as heavier 'trail' bikes which are less hardcore generally.

We were riding on a light motocross track (very 'easy' compared to some that have loads of big jumps etc).
Enduro has a wide variety of different terrain - for instance, through forests, across fields, over rocky bits, sand etc - it's my favourite type of off roading.
Greenlaning is riding along legal byways, so some variety, but can't go as fast as you can expect to find dog walkers or a 4x4 coming the other way.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Best way to make a start off road Reply with quote

DRZ400 Thumbs Up

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though my Beta XT trainer is a bit watered down compared to the RR, some people enter them into competitions straight out the box. It's a hoot to ride, and flatters crappy riders like me, even I can pop a wheelie on it,.

They are a bit of a mare on the open road, but I still rode mine 90 miles to a rally.

Absolutely dances across green lanes no bother.

My Honda copes with green lanes fine, but it does let me know about it if I hit a big bump or something, but copes with road riding fine.

DRZ's are good. Ridden them off road in mountains in NZ.

I don't want to assume anything so...

Will this be your only bike, or a toy?
Will you have a van, or trailer, or ride it to the play areas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:43 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks G, sounds like enduro might be what I should look into then. And green laning for cheap practice so I don't totally spaz myself....

Thx1138 - would be looking for a toy. Whilst riding the 2 stroke ktm did bring out my inner baaklaaff and a mad desire to commute through central brum on one I've since sobered up... Road legal and usable would be of benefit as we don't have a van/trailer/tow bar but I can't imagine I'd be travelling mad miles for my fun on one. I assume there are probably places to play within a reasonable distance although haven't worked that part out yet.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:01 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strike a deal on one after summer. Spend up to 1500 on one. Use it in the lanes.

Wouldn't go for a competition one, Iain had a CR125 which was a handful, that 200 was alright but the 300 probably has better all round capabilities. Failing that grabbing a tatty TTR or similar might be worthwhile. Basic MOT with no lights for that minimal cost when flown into tree etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon that a CRF230 might fit the bill.

They are simple, air cooled 4 stroke trail bikes, but suprisingly capable and can slog a few miles down the tarmac if needed.

amongst the usual other places, like BCF , keep an eye on the TRF for sale forum
https://trf.org.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=110&sid=f796e374397ac6e23c0482615ca40d61

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:04 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately there's often (depends on your area) limited options for green laning and similar limited for enduro practice sites or race sites (there tends to be more enduro races than practices).

From that, I would probably look to a light weight 4 stroke trail bike to start off, then if you're enjoying it and getting confident, go from there and consider something more serious that suits how you're using it.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Unfortunately there's often (depends on your area) limited options for green laning and similar limited for enduro practice sites or race sites (there tends to be more enduro races than practices).

From that, I would probably look to a light weight 4 stroke trail bike to start off, then if you're enjoying it and getting confident, go from there and consider something more serious that suits how you're using it.

CRF 230 still fitting the bill then Mr. Green

me, riding CRF230's -

CRF230 on UK green lanes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIGWNmpQLMU&t=3s

CRF230 in NZ farm and bush
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7inT6ZO04s

You are not so far from Wales, but probably just a tad to far to ride in and out and off road....

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:21 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crf230 looks doable, plenty at reasonable prices by the look of things and 4 stroke means I don't have to learn 2 stroke... Stuff Embarassed

I feel like I've heard people talking about green laning in the peak district which isn't too painful to get to from here, shall have a further read cos I'm only seeing enduro races localish and no way to learn.

Thanks all!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:23 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Get an XR250 or XR400.
2. Go find some byways to get the bike suitably muddy.

The finer details depend on how many byways are nearby and to find that out you need an OS Landranger Map or you can use websites like https://maps.the-hug.net/

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SophR so good wrote:
Crf230 looks doable, plenty at reasonable prices by the look of things and 4 stroke means I don't have to learn 2 stroke... Stuff Embarassed

I feel like I've heard people talking about green laning in the peak district which isn't too painful to get to from here, shall have a further read cos I'm only seeing enduro races localish and no way to learn.

Thanks all!

shed loads in the peaks, but the PDNPA are hell bent on closing them, shouldn't be too hard to hook up with like minded riders, there is the TRF which I'd recommend, but IIRC there are alternative well organised groups in that area also,

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
1. Get an XR250 or XR400.
2. Go find some byways to get the bike suitably muddy.

The finer details depend on how many byways are nearby and to find that out you need an OS Landranger Map or you can use websites like https://maps.the-hug.net/

XR250 also a very good bike Thumbs Up

This is a good map to start with
https://www.trailwise.org.uk/

you won't have a license/membership so will have to use the public search, which restricts the area you can search at a time, but most of the info should be okay, but people (including me Sad very lazy at updating it)

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How tall are you? If mx bike was ok, cool. Height, that's a limiting factor in decent 'little' dual bikes. Mrs K has a ttr 250 and it's very generous in suspension travel for shorter people. Hence why they're silly money like serows! If money's no object, com go 450 lowered from factory! Join trf and go see locals! Imho..if it's got an electric start, don't ignore it.

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:48 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

5'6 with stumpy legs... Could reach the ground on ktm exc200 but had to kinda jump on. Was ok. Not sure how much height comes into the actual riding off road, with it being more technical legs akimbo kind of stuff...?

Money is definitely a big factor so if I can go cheap rather than specially short that would be ideal.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pampera for that height - excellent bikes, but hard to come by. There was a really - really - good one on ebay last month for £1750 iirc. Went in about six hours.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend both of my trail bikes, the smoker if you are a bit more confident, the TTR if not. Disadvantage is they are both quite tall and the yamaha holds its weight fairly high up, easy to topple over with short legs you can't always flat foot if you need to dab a foot down.

Plenty of places by us. Little London Enduro Park is a cracking little track with plenty of easy routes for the less experienced, I tend to use the easy routes as I start getting tired. Coney Green is another good site, I've took the trucks round it but they do bike days too, never been on a bike though. I'd imagine the ruts from the 4x4's might be an issue though. Green lanes are fairly plentiful from what I can gather as well. Typically easy-going though for us midlanders. I've ridden a 1999 exc300. Very easy to get on with, but the power valve, I've since learned, was playing up making it feel really tame. Not sure what it's like when fully functional.

From my experience though, you want a common bike, I've had nightmares looking for parts for mine, they aren't even that rare, just enough though to make it more awkward, I.e. cross-referencing part numbers from similar models to see if it would work.
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:29 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh gawd too many bike choices now and they all look the same and have super similar names. My brain is confusion. Will definitely avoid one that's easy to topple though, don't have the best track record there.

That little London track looks like a great place for me to start when I find a bike anyway, thank you!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to make the trip to Bedfordshire u can come green laning with me and borrow my Honda (as long as u insured 3rd party on other bikes) u won't break it, might bend it, but meh no bother if u do

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SophR so good wrote:
Oh gawd too many bike choices now and they all look the same and have super similar names. My brain is confusion. Will definitely avoid one that's easy to topple though, don't have the best track record there.

That little London track looks like a great place for me to start when I find a bike anyway, thank you!

Good choice on the toppling front. I'm 6 foot four or five with 35 inch inside legs and I've toppled over on the TTR a few times if the footing isn't solid. Would be a nightmare to control without a lanky freak on top of the bike. But that's only really an initial worry. Once you get a bit of confidence up the feet don't go down all that often.

A mate of mine is five foot bang on and she struggles even with her cg 125. I'm trying to get her to try my Stomp T4 out. It's based on the CRF 230 so not massive, it isn't too much bigger than the h100 it sits next to. I want to road register it so it might be a bit more appealing to a wider market audience. I'd be more tempted in your shoes to not be picky and just see what's about locally for a sensible price, then find out about that model, rather than hunt a specific model.

My TTR was bought on the way home from viewing a 2002 WR250F, both wanted 1200 for them, but at the time I couldn't justify owning an enduro race machine as my only form of transport and the TTR looked like a tidier machine at face value Rolling Eyes
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:38 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you thx that's a very kind offer, that I may well take you up on, 2 hour trip each way isn't totally crazy...

I agree looking for anything seems to be the best idea at this stage, particularly as I won't want to be riding one 200 miles home...

So shortlist is:
CRF230
XR250
TTR250 maybe
Pampera?!
EXC200 if somebody leaves one unlocked near my house #byklyf
Stomp T4 - this looks affordable being Chinese but do you find it needs a lot of TLC being cheap Chinese Fladdem? My mechanical knowledge is limited to oil changes...

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The T4 seems better build quality than the Stomp CRF70 140 pit bike I had. Electric start as well on the 230. It has full size wheels as well. It does seem to chew wheel bearings quite quickly, but I presume that's from putting cheap Chinese bearings in all the time. I tend to change the oil more regularly than Jap stuff but a small price to pay compared to a blown engine. It's just a bit more maintenance intensive than Japanese bikes, and I found i had to loctite and tighten bolts more often as it vibates more as well.

With offroad bikes, they tend to hold less oil so the servicing schedule is a lot tighter than normal bikes. They also live a harder life so the consumables wear out faster, muddy water makes amazing grinding compound on your brakes, apparently! Laughing

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:00 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm so either way I'll have to learn to mechanic a bit more, daaamn. Thanks for all the helps, might give you a prod for a guided tour of the green lanes of warwickshire in a month or 2 if that's alright!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/upload/1003/images/02pamperalt-01.jpg

This is the GasGas Pampera - a 250 single cylinder two stroke. Easy to ride because its detuned trials bike engine is in a soft, tractable state - and also because it manages to combine decent clearance with quite low pegs. Also, it's very light. It's got a kind of unstoppable quality to it, in that it'll just chug onwards through mud and anything else it encounters - all you have to do is stay up on the pegs and think it towards a viable line. It'll sniff it out and track it until you think it needs to go somewhere else. It'll sit at 60 on road no problem. It's pre-mix only though, afaicr. So a little bit of a faff. However it's instruments are basic, and don't stand the test of time - which is one of the bike's few aspects that mean it's not overly n00b friendly. E.g. finding neutral can be difficult even when the idiot lights are working - but when they've packed up and died (never to be revived), you have to have a telepathic left foot to feel for the gap between first and second. Not always easy with thick soled off-road boots. The rear brake can be difficult to bleed as well. Other than that, they're almost perfect for what you want - better than anything else mentioned above imo. Finding one is a different matter though.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh - there actually *is* one. Bit dear though:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GasGas-Pampera-250-/253060175079?hash=item3aeb8fd4e7:g:-aQAAOSw0xZZdPfg

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 224 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3