Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Reverse Smidsy

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reverse Smidsy Reply with quote

So this morning on my way to work I had a van stop in front of me so I stopped about 2 meters behind, next thing his reverse lights go on and...... shout, blow horn...crunch. He didnt see me but it was my fault for being behind him so close?, at the minute he is paying for repairs but it may change when he gets home tonight and sees the bill estimate, he lives round the corner.
Damage is bars,clutch lever,nearside casing, mirror, shift lever,bar end and front mudguard. Around £500 worth then labour, Honda will check frame and forks for £30. Once he hit my front wheel I had to jump off, nursing a sore back and neck now, 4 months old, actually surprised it wasn't bent. He was moving for bin wagon that pulled out.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more

Last edited by Mark65 on 11:24 - 07 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:24 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why weren't you ahead of the van, should have filtered past him at 100 well before this incident.

Erm, I'd put me doing 0mph and him moving as his fault. Forget about it and let his insurers deal with it rather than cash our for repairs, he'll get it back in dat whiplash claim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was stationary, young lad from round corner, not had van long, I have 2 witnesses.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:28 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance it up. Fuck him. Also, y u no filter Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer The Bastard wrote:

Again were you in his mirrors?

You know the answer so why bother with the question. It's done now, and lesson will no doubt be learned.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:32 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark65 wrote:
young lad from round corner

I'm guessing he's a locksmith?

If he gives you any money he's gonna come through your back door at night and take it away again Laughing

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some roads/junctions don't allow enough space to filter to front, especially around wide vans with wide mirrors, so could be a case of that so OP stayed put.

That said, always always always stay in the mirrors in these situations. You tooting/shouting/revving doesn't mean he knows you're there. Vanman needs to see you to believe you.

At least you're still walking though Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:59 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me personally, I'd say you contributed. I got one minor on mod 2 for stopping too close behind a van, I've not forgotten it.

What he (or his insurers) will say when they realise that you can't fix a bike for £20, no idea.

Mark65 wrote:
I have 2 witnesses.

Court them. Really, get in touch and thank them for providing details.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better than paint.
Witness lives in house at scene, said pop by tonight and he will give me a statement.
Next purchase a camera for helmet.
If he goes down the insurance route will this affect mine? or is it small claims to avoid insurance.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Me personally, I'd say you contributed.

His fault for being there? Same thing happened to me when I hadn't had my 125 that long. As a van driver myself I don't reverse if I don't know what's behind me Rolling Eyes

Mark65 wrote:
If he goes down the insurance route will this affect mine? or is it small claims to avoid insurance.

Yep you'll have to declare the accident for 5 years (or 3 with some insurers).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:08 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contributed in some small way. Problem is, even 5% puts you at fault as far as insurers are concerned.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Contributed in some small way. Problem is, even 5% puts you at fault as far as insurers are concerned.

No, stopping in the mirrors helps avoids the situation (assuming they use them), it shouldn't be confused with fault. For any normal human being someone shouting and hooting would be reason to suspect someone was behind.

But I guess I was partly responsible for the Romanian lorry driver who rolled back into my work van, despite me being on the horn for a good 5 seconds.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:23 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll just say you ran into the back of him. Insurance will go with it because they are dicks. Then they'll bum you both with a 50:50, cancell both policies, remove both your NCBs, collect two excesses for the dsame accident and bump both your premiums for the next 5 years. Insurance companies LOVE 50:50s.

So you REALLY need those witnesses.

If you have this again, the most important pictures are of the skidmark on the road where the van pushed your bikes front wheel backwards and the corresponding scuffing on the tyre and damage to the van bumper. That doesn't and can't happen by running into the back of someone.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:50 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the lad as he lives on the corner of our road and went to school with my daughter, he's agreed to pay last night as he doesn't want his insurance to screw him as he's just started working for himself.
I get it all in at £600 with two hours labour, bikes going in to Honda for inspection today, I may just do the work myself.
Witness statements are going to be collected tonight, just in case. Might pop for some crash bars as well.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you know the lad and want to do him a favour then get a cheaper garage to fix it at his cost?

i understand you didnt deserve it but it was partly your fault so why should he be screwed over harder because of it?

Maybe im just a nice guy but he offered to pay and clearly doesnt want his insurance fucked for him... he seems to have passed the attitude test for me.

when someone parked on my old divvy he offered to pay, it was going well until he said my bike isnt exactly much to look at so it wont cost much to fix... went through his insurance fuck him.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear buddy, hope the guy is able to keep it away from the insurers by paying out.

But, Y no Spill Counter?

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:44 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
So I have statements and piccys everything I need to go through insurance, but I feel a bit shit, Honda's bill is £1230 a fair bit of that is for a tiny scuff on the fork leg at the bottom and center stand (new last week)and a minor nick on the cowling, hes offering £700 cash which covers all the other parts and I think the labor for the engine casing. Ive only had one claim more than ten years ago most likely longer, I would like my bike as it was but don't want my bike and car insurance going up, will it be a large jump at renewal?. And I don't want all the aggro really plus Ive had 3 days off work (never try to keep bike up while its going down).
Opinions please?.
Thanks

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance hike when I made a claim from a hit and run many years ago was about 15%, bearing in mind I had only got my licence few months earlier so that compounded the matter.

Despite being non-fault and police investigating the driver I was still stung with an increase because I was at the wrong place at the wrong time. It's a tough one to swallow but that's how they work unfortunately.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:13 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance will go up a bit if you have a claim. If you're a child and your insurance is silly money, this may make you reconsider claiming.

If you're a grownup with cheap insurance already, comp, protected NCB, witnesses, all that jazz - then use it.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for this thread yesterday.... but almost had the same thing happen to myself.

I'd just left my parents and was riding up the road, I seen a van stop by some parked cars to let a taxi past just in front of me.... expecting him to have been looking in his mirrors I swung out a bit before stopping behind him.

To me it looked like there was more than enough room to get the taxi through... but apparently not, the reverse lights came on, and since we were on a bit of a slope I started wheeling the bike backwards, the van reversing lights went off so I stopped, they then came on a second later and van came back faster (driver was obviously pissed off that the taxi still couldn't get through a gap wide enough for a lorry I assume), I realised I wasn't going to get back quick enough so blasted the horn.

Anyway, long story short, the guy stopped at the junction a few yards up the road, waited and apologised

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:58 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm 52 so insurance wasn't expensive to start with, but I have been reading about insurance companies trying to give partial blame to the rider in this situation, plus the mark on the forks and center stand are about 3mm x 3 mm so nothing really.
I'm waiting on updated parts quote today as I can fit nearly all myself so maybe I will have some good karma coming my way if I take the cheaper option and help the young lad out a bit
Thanks for your responses..
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 261 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2