BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Helmet Cams

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Helmet Cams Reply with quote

After my accident today I thought a helmet cam may be in order, any recent experiences? or recommendations?. any with replaceable batteries.
Thanks

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:41 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.techmoan.com/blog/2017/7/21/the-best-helmet-camera-for-me.html

Or a Drift Stealth 2.

I don't find non-replaceable batteries to be an issue.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 12:55 - 07 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drift Stealth 2 - nearly 3 years use all year round.

Had a couple of minor issues early on but was resolved by Drift without hassle. Their customer services is pretty good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the SJ cams not TOTP any more then?

Question for anyone that has bar-mounted their 'action' cam - do you get much wibbliness or wobbliness on the playback?

Thinking of buying one but I don't want it stuck to my head.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Question for anyone that has bar-mounted their 'action' cam - do you get much wibbliness or wobbliness on the playback?

I'd be interested in this too, only just getting into biking, but had a dashcam on the car for a few years now, but all the cams sold as "helmet cams" really don't look suitable as helmet cams, ie. really not shaped well to suit being helmet mounted

In fact, the one linked above is about the right sort of shape, but i bet by the time you have the mounting bracket attached, it sticks out a mile, and well, just looks fugly to be honest

So i think my preference would be bike mounted rather than helmet mounted too

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:43 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

With a helmet (mounted) cam' you see a lot more, although people have pointed out having a camera attached to your helmet in a crash might not be ideal.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

With a helmet (mounted) cam' you see a lot more, although people have pointed out having a camera attached to your helmet in a crash might not be ideal.

Yeah i guess so, but not so different from car dashcams then really

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
M.C wrote:

Yeah i guess so, but not so different from car dashcams then really

Car dash cams are pretty useless with what they show IMO. Any sort of side on side impact and it won't reveal much. You really need a front and rear camera if you're going for static mounted.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a nextbase unit fitted to my car (front only). Will def install a rear setup once funds allow.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Car dash cams are pretty useless with what they show IMO. Any sort of side on side impact and it won't reveal much. You really need a front and rear camera if you're going for static mounted.

Depends on the purpose of the camera, if only to show you were not in the wrong, then forward facing is generally enough on a car, if you happen to be hit up the chuff, chances are the person behind was in the wrong anyway

Any car camera will only tell half the story anyway, they won't show things like indicators being on/off, or if you checked your mirrors etc

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sena Prism looks ok, I like the clap type mount

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ride mainly daytime hours the Contour Roam 2 is an excellent helmet camera for the money. Crappy low light performance lets it down.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:01 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spare everything after drift replaced my 720 with the 1080. 720 isn't up to it IMO, you can't make out plates properly. The 1080 isn't great in sunlight (even when you adjust settings).

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
arry wrote:

I'd be interested in this too

+1 - I do have a helmet-mounted cam, but rarely use it because of the faff. I'd really like an unobtrusive, under-the-seat gubbins, fit-and-forget system that automatically records the most recent couple of hours of riding.

I really like the look of this front-and-rear one (Innovv K1; also reviewed here and here), but it seems to be about £200 (presumably plus likely import duty from USA) Shocked . Maybe.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about whacking one of those 360 cameras on your noggin? Anyone done this. I mean you will look like a prize plum, bt would be interesting to be the result.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
What about whacking one of those 360 cameras on your noggin? Anyone done this. I mean you will look like a prize plum, bt would be interesting to be the result.

Nah you need one of those drones that follow you.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a drift stealth 2, it works ok, but don't get fantasies of vlogging - there is no mic socket. Expect footage above a few mph to full of wind noise. I modded mine with a soldering iron, a headphone extension and and some epoxy putty to fit a 3.5mm socket and used a lapel mic, but I'm considering removing the mod and putting the original mic back in with some kind of windstopping foam. Perhaps a slice of earplug.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:40 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Expect footage above a few mph to full of wind noise

50p for cheap mic foam off ebay cut into shape to not stand out and hot glued on. At speeds where I can't hear anything other than wind noise the camera picks up the engine and pipe sounds crisp and clear.

Same foam for over 2 years, used daily all year round and it's still going strong.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:10 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:
talkToTheHat wrote:
Expect footage above a few mph to full of wind noise
50p for cheap mic foam off ebay cut into shape to not stand out and hot glued on. At speeds where I can't hear anything other than wind noise the camera picks up the engine and pipe sounds crisp and clear.

Ooh, thanks for the tip; will give that a go. (Why the bloody hell doesn't my Contour Roam come with something like that provided? I've wondered why the even bothered including a mic at all as it's so utterly useless; and I didn't realise that a foam blob could be so effective.)

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
will give that a go.

Careful not to glue over the mic hole on the camera. Also it helps with sound quality if you turn the mic sensitivity down.

I ride my daily commutes with mic off, I'm convinced it saves memory and battery - and i don't keep the footage anyway. Mic usually comes on for the weekend hoons where I tend to save some of the footage for memories.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Update. Found a genuine non WiFi SJ4000 on Amazon for £50 delivered and just took the plunge - why not.

Mounted the clamp to the bars of the Bullet and then the camera into the case. Set off into the receding daylight approaching the night sky. 15 minute or so run - thought I'd have some idea of how the camera performs in all light conditions.

But in my haste I'd not realised it was set up for 3 minute loop recording. So by the time I got the bike back in I'd lost everything that was worth watching Laughing Doh Doh!

Will nip out tomorrow now I've got it set up proper, and give it a decent appraisal.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three minute loop recording on the SJCAM should continue to fill up the card. It's fairly easy to stitch them back together on a personal computer.

The biggest issue I've had with the SJCAM4000 is that if you run out of battery, or remove the battery for too long, the time and date will reset. This means that the loop recording function keeps deleting the 'oldest' 3minute loop to make room for the new three minute loop, with the 'oldest' being the stuff you've just recorded.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Sj4000 cam, bought it a few years ago so dont know if they have been updated etc?

I quite like mine, ive used it for snorkelling & mountain biking but coudlnt figure out how to mount it to my Bandit without it looking like a speed camera?

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:54 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Pro
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2