Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

July 2017 new registration statistics

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:32 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: July 2017 new registration statistics Reply with quote

https://www.mcia.co.uk/Uploads/Statistics/Press-Statistics-201707-July-2017.pdf

Litre+ bikes have recovered. 650-1000 are more or less steady. A small bump for 126-650, but still down year on year.

125s remain 30% down on last year, and that's the majority of pre-Euro4-bollocks pre-reggers cleared out, so this looks like a sustained slump. Sad times, sad times.

Little surprise, the Tracer 700 actually edges out the R1200GS for adventure sports, but it's not a new plate month. The Bonny Bobber tops the customs over any Harley. Honda clear up the flaccid 125 market. The Vespa 300 wins in the 126-650 class, which is fast becoming an also-ran capacity.

Overall Yamaha are nipping closely at Honda's heels for overall sales, and likely with higher margins.

The usual suspects are showing: Triumph, BMW, a decent month for Kawasaki, with Suzuki propping up the top 10.

Surprisingly, Lexmoto appear in 7th, which confirms that the 2016 pre-reggers have sold and we're into Eurobollocks 125s now. But even with that, numbers are way down.

What does this bode for the future of the bikey-bike-bro-brotherhood?

Last edited by Rogerborg on 13:41 - 07 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

120+ Bobbers Shocked Laughing

Suzuki Laughing Laughing Laughing

So, overall, the arse has fallen out of the small bike market whilst the larger capacity / high end bike market is relatively stable, propped up by beardy hipster and Charlie McBoreman's.

2 + 2 = 4; Euro4 compliance has ruined everything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:57 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

THIS IS A BRAND NEW PRE REGISTERED MACHINE WITH NILL MILEAGE. FIRST REGISTERED JUNE 2016.

"Please, please, someone buy it, anyone."

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:03 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
arry wrote:

THIS IS A BRAND NEW PRE REGISTERED MACHINE WITH NILL MILEAGE. FIRST REGISTERED JUNE 2016.

Sure I want a 'brand new' bike that's been sat by the sea for a year Rolling Eyes

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:12 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Even without the pre-registering shenanigans, they're still knocking £900 off old list price of an £8000 bike. The only one they don't appear to be discounting is the Gixxer 1000 because that practically sells itself (to chavs in blue jackets).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not surprised by the new Triumph bobber/Bonneville, as it's more authentic to the point of hurting everything about how it rides than even the best heritage Harley.

My question is:

What is it about the GS Thingy&Charley bikes that makes it so ruthlessly efficient sales wise? Is it a vastly better bike than the Africa twin, or Super Tenere 1200? If not is it a badge/brand image thing? And if it's not that then is it a character/quirkiness thing that turns everyone on?

It's obviously not about technical off road ability, because if it were then everybody would go full orange bike and damned with the reliability, parts prices and lack of the right badge on the keyfob.

And the 300cc Vespa thing, is it a retro led desire for a big fast engine in a sleeper scooter, or can the Japanese 300's not hold a candle to the abilities of the bloated Vespa?

Oh and the future of bikes looks like it won't be with A2, 19-23yr olds, and won't be with 125's as they'll all disappear soon. Maybe theres enough age 24> folk that are coming though to DAS to buy all these new big bikes?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:28 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I'm not surprised by the new Triumph bobber/Bonneville, as it's more authentic to the point of hurting everything about how it rides than even the best heritage Harley.

How is it authentic? How does that hurt how it rides?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take my opinion as complete Gospel here, but have you seen the latest version of the Bonnie, and how vastly different it looks and is made compared to the first Hinckley Bonneville's?

It's trying so bloody hard to be the original bike, look like the original bike etc etc. Yeah of course even the basic looking chassis spec allows it to ride far better than a back in the day bike, and on quite modest tyre sizes too.

But it can't go through the speed trap any quicker than a T140 from the test figures I saw for both, and it's barely a few tenths quicker in the 1/4mile. That is unforgivable IMO for a bike almost 40years newer, not to mention that one version is 1200cc!

You don't see the 2017 Fireblade struggling to keep up with a 97 version much do you?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:28 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:

How is it authentic? How does that hurt how it rides?

It's all about piles mate Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:45 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Oh and the future of bikes looks like it won't be with A2, 19-23yr olds, and won't be with 125's as they'll all disappear soon. Maybe theres enough age 24> folk that are coming though to DAS to buy all these new big bikes?

https://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/nope-cat.jpg

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:38 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Don't take my opinion as complete Gospel here, but have you seen the latest version of the Bonnie, and how vastly different it looks and is made compared to the first Hinckley Bonneville's?

It's trying so bloody hard to be the original bike, look like the original bike etc etc. Yeah of course even the basic looking chassis spec allows it to ride far better than a back in the day bike, and on quite modest tyre sizes too.

But it can't go through the speed trap any quicker than a T140 from the test figures I saw for both, and it's barely a few tenths quicker in the 1/4mile. That is unforgivable IMO for a bike almost 40years newer, not to mention that one version is 1200cc!

You don't see the 2017 Fireblade struggling to keep up with a 97 version much do you?

Really not sure if serious dude.

It's a bobber that isn't a bobber. It's not authentic at all as it isn't what it sets out be and isn't what someone would build. It also vastly improves its dynamics as a result rather than hurting them. It's not trying to look like the original bike, they still do the original. If you wanted the original you'd buy one or a new one. Choice is there.

Not a single person that buys that bike gives a shit about quarter mile times. They're probably more interested in having a bike that looks the way they want it to without having to mess with it, whilst not losing a rear shock worth of practicality.

Of all the things you could have said to back that up, the examples picked are so far out I can't get my head around it. I have to be missing something?

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:29 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who consider speed to be important wont get and wont buy a Triumph bobber - nothing wrong with that, but for lots of people there's more to a motorcycle than going as fast as possible.

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: July 2017 new registration statistics Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Little surprise, the Tracer 700 actually edges out the R1200GS for adventure sports, but it's not a new plate month.
Promo innit. 0% finance will shift anything it seems.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:59 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes, good spot.

Suzuki also tend to do well in months where they've got BOGOF-stylee offers on.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:22 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2017/august/suzuki-v-strom-250/

4600 quid for an underpowered 250 weighing the same as a small moon Laughing

Suzuki's saviour.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:58 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

LCD dash, MCN gush, desparate for something good to say about it.

£4600 for the bare bike.

"MODEL SHOWN MAY INCLUDE OPTIONAL ACCESSORIES"

They will never, ever show it without every optional extra bolted on.

Still, "Honley" have thrown in the towel on the Zongshen RX-3 250 (46 bikes sold), and the Verysys 300 starts at £5250 and up, so if they apply the usual Suzuki fire sale discount from new, it might find a market.

It makes more sense putting that Inazuma lump into an adventure-commuter than a "sportsbike" anyway.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:46 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's precisely it though - it's pitched in a market that doesn't attract sales anyway, so being cheaper than its next rival without any add ons doesn't count for much.

A CB500 - admittedly not the X which would be a more direct comparison, is only 400 quid more expensive at retail price. That's a lot more bike for the money and just as capable if not more so of going 'touring'.

blackbosh
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:15 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reply to Stevo as b4:

At 28 just bought my second GS, this time the adventure (when I say bought...).
Anyway, my 2 cents: I was curious about the Africa twin but not curious enough to endure the muppet convention that is my local Honda dealer. Especially as the local BMW dealer is very much like a solid car dealer, only with better service and after care. Is there another adventure sport? If so I've not read enough about it in this months Ride.

Kidding aside, I am aware there's a KTM, that looks pretty cool, but pretty sure the closest place Id be able to acquire one of those from would be across the channel on a ferry and a short ride to Austria.

In terms of the bike itself, I took a year to fall in love with the boxer, the triple I had before left a hole. It is more than adequate for the limited green lanes in the UK and more importantly it does everything. It may not be the best at anything but it is certainly a jack with versatility. A viable alternative means of transport to a car.

Tl;dr I like my GS

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:29 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are nearly all bought on finance, with as many accessories as they can fit onto the thing. Watching them try and filter on the M25 is pure comedy as they weave the panniers between wing mirrors.

If i could be arsed to go find that website that lists out all the BMW faults .... i wouldn't want one without a full warranty.

"Did 2000 miles in 2 years on my GS ..... most reliable bike I've ever had"

"liked it so much, i bought another one and so far, in the 700 miles I've done it's been as reliable as the first one".

Move that on to 15k and out of warranty and stuff starts to look less rosy. Not that I think others are vastly better, but you really do need to know a good independent garage unless you want your pockets rinsing.

I liked the F700GS I did my DAS on, it was comfortable but ultimately dull and I don't really need a dull motorbike. Street Triple 765 LRH comes out in September, monies are already earmarked Smile
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 249 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1