Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Looking to get a new bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jayxjay
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:17 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Looking to get a new bike Reply with quote

Hi,
Well basically I'm doing my CBT soon and I'm looking at my 125xc options. So far, the most appealing 'style' are the cruisers. I'm looking to get the bike on finance anyway so probably from a dealership and possibly a new model.
I'm struggling with reliable sources for reviews and a friend suggested I should find a forum with bikers that would know more than me and him combined.
Okay, so I'm open to suggestions but what I've come up with so far are as follows (all opinions, reviews and suggestions are VERY welcome).

- Yamaha YBR-125 CUSTOM (however not that many dealerships offer them due to lack of stock)
- Lexomoto Michigan
- Sinnis Hoodlum 125
- Keeway Superlight
- Sinnis Cruisestar 125
- AJS DD 125 E
- Hyosung GV125 AQUILA
- Suzuki GZ125 Maraunder

Many thanks

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:28 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No to chinese bikes, cruisers, and finance Smile Not sure how much that helps. Out of that list I'd bee looking at the YBR or maybe Maraunder, but save up £800-1000 and get a good second-hand bike.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tef will be along shortly. Cbt first, worry about bike choice after.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayxjay
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:42 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I might as well pick now, so I can get it sorted for when I get the CBT - I'm sorting it soon enough. And I can't afford to just buy one rn that's why I'm looking at finance.

The one I've shortlisted in particular is the MUTT MONGEL 125 or Hyosung but I'm not sure how good they are That's why I'm asking for input

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, how old are you?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:05 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Looking to get a new bike Reply with quote

Jayxjay wrote:
So far, the most appealing 'style' are the cruisers.

Because you haven't ridden one.

Why do you want a bike, and what will you be using it for?

We're not being dicks, just trying to guide you towards the most suitable route.

Quick, before Teflon-Mike gets here.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:12 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayxjay wrote:
But I might as well pick now, so I can get it sorted for when I get the CBT - I'm sorting it soon enough. And I can't afford to just buy one rn that's why I'm looking at finance.

The one I've shortlisted in particular is the MUTT MONGEL 125 or Hyosung but I'm not sure how good they are That's why I'm asking for input

Fantastic name for a bike Very Happy If you want a hipster looking chinese bike that isn't complete crap go for a Sinnis. Otherwise save up for a used Japanese 125 like everyone else (with any sense) does.

Edit: Just looking at the Hyosung, looks like their normal heavy big bike lookalike offering (which might be what you want). As always parts availability would be a concern.

Jayxjay
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:38 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="winz"]Out of interest, how old are you?[/quote]

17 so 125 is the biggest I can go for

Jayxjay
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:39 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Looking to get a new bike Reply with quote

[quote="Rogerborg"][quote="Jayxjay"]So far, the most appealing 'style' are the cruisers.[/quote]
Because you haven't ridden one.

Why do you want a bike, and what will you be using it for?

We're not being dicks, just trying to guide you towards the most suitable route.

Quick, before Teflon-Mike gets here.[/quote]

Commuting mostly, but also socially. And yeah, I get it, that's why I asked in the first place

Jayxjay
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:41 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="M.C"][quote="Jayxjay"]But I might as well pick now, so I can get it sorted for when I get the CBT - I'm sorting it soon enough. And I can't afford to just buy one rn that's why I'm looking at finance.

The one I've shortlisted in particular is the [b]MUTT MONGEL[/b] 125 or Hyosung but I'm not sure how good they are That's why I'm asking for input[/quote]
Fantastic name for a bike Very Happy If you want a hipster looking chinese bike that isn't complete crap go for a Sinnis. Otherwise save up for a used Japanese 125 like everyone else (with any sense) does.

Edit: Just looking at the Hyosung, looks like their normal heavy big bike lookalike offering (which might be what you want). As always parts availability would be a concern.[/quote]

That's why I'm asking for opinions, I know ish what I want but it's about what will actually suit me and work good ~ suggestions are very welcome

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get finance under 18? Confused

Jayxjay
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:54 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="M.C"]Can you get finance under 18? Confused[/quote]

Im paying for it but it'd probably be under my stepdad - officially.

Jayxjay
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:57 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="M.C"][quote="Jayxjay"]But I might as well pick now, so I can get it sorted for when I get the CBT - I'm sorting it soon enough. And I can't afford to just buy one rn that's why I'm looking at finance.

The one I've shortlisted in particular is the [b]MUTT MONGEL[/b] 125 or Hyosung but I'm not sure how good they are That's why I'm asking for input[/quote]

Edit: Just looking at the Hyosung, looks like their normal heavy big bike lookalike offering (which might be what you want). As always parts availability would be a concern.[/quote]

so basically it'd be best just going with a honda/suzuki/yamaha as opposed to other brands?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be better doing your CBT first and seeing how you get on. Buying a bike before you've even had a chance to ride one on the road is a bit daft.

If you can't afford the grand for a second hand YBR, then what are you doing for kit, security, insurance etc?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for above. Probably cheaper for your financierto borrow from bank and then at least the bike is yours (theirs) and you can get kit at same time.
+1 for CBT first.
+1 wait for tef.

Jayxjay
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:46 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kentol750"]+1 for above. Probably cheaper for your financierto borrow from bank and then at least the bike is yours (theirs) and you can get kit at same time.
+1 for CBT first.
+1 wait for tef.[/quote]

technically, i already found several dealers that do 0% finance, its just the case of picking the right bike

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And all the kit you need ...0% on everything?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:32 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayxjay wrote:
MUTT MONGEL

Not a cruiser.

Why not a Lexmoto Valiant for a grand less than the Mutt?

OK, sad time: all modern commuter 125s are made in China to a tight budget. They're all much of a muchness in performance and quality.

One significant difference is weight. The Valiant is 113kg dry. The Hyosung is 176kg. Wet or dry, it doesn't really matter at that level.

The other difference is retained value. A Honda or Yamaha badge will make it easier to sell on (assuming that you actually finish paying it down). Anything else is going to struggle to find a buyer.

That also makes them cheap to buy used, which is where you could make big savings over riding a bike that you don't own, but which you'll be expected to insure fully comprehensive to protect the finance company's asset.

If you're really determined to rent a new bike, I'd suggest:

Honda CB125F
Yamaha YS125
Or if you want something a bit quirky and are looking at the monthly payment amount, the Suzuki Van Van 125, which will hold its value well.

Now.

Teflon-Mike.
Teflon-Mike.
Teflon-Mike.

Jayxjay
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:16 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kentol750"]And all the kit you need ...0% on everything?[/quote]

already have the kit, used to ride with my dad

Jayxjay
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:20 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rogerborg"][quote="Jayxjay"]MUTT MONGEL[/quote]
Not a cruiser.

Why not a Lexmoto Valiant for a grand less than the Mutt?

OK, sad time: all modern commuter 125s are made in China to a tight budget. They're all much of a muchness in performance and quality.

One significant difference is weight. The Valiant is 113kg dry. The Hyosung is 176kg. Wet or dry, it doesn't really matter at that level.

The other difference is retained value. A Honda or Yamaha badge will make it easier to sell on (assuming that you actually finish paying it down). Anything else is going to struggle to find a buyer.

That also makes them cheap to buy used, which is where you could make big savings over riding a bike that you don't own, but which you'll be expected to insure fully comprehensive to protect the finance company's asset.

If you're [i]really[/i] determined to rent a new bike, I'd suggest:

Honda CB125F
Yamaha YS125
Or if you want something a bit quirky and are looking at the monthly payment amount, the Suzuki Van Van 125, which will hold its value well.

Now.

Teflon-Mike.
[size=18]Teflon-Mike.[/size]
[size=24]Teflon-Mike.[/size][/quote]

why not a cruiser? (im a newbie, so explain if you dont mind)
and yeah, thats why im thinking of buying japanese, as they already have the reputation and dont lose much on value.
when it comes to the chinese like lexomoto, ive been told the upkeep outweighs the cost, similar to keeway where you simply have to keep on fixing them...
what's your opinion on:
yamaha mt-125
Suzuki GSX-S125?
which other ones would you suggest?

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your original post didn't include the bikes you now like........see, do CBT and get a 125.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MT-125's basically a naked R125, with a surprisingly aggressive riding position, and is way too expensive IMO. Not familiar with the GSX-S125, but it actually looks alright, full power 125 (well nearly), cheaper than the MT but still a lot for a 125 IMO.

Not sure whether it being a new model's a good thing or a bad thing. Keep in mind as a noob you might drop it a few times, and they'll be no cheap second-hand spares market.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to stick my 2 pennyworth in but if you keep getting the "quote" wrong I will have to kill you. Evil or Very Mad

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Zontes 125 sitting in my back garden, needing a new owner....... Laughing Laughing

(hint: check the workshop thread)

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:14 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Polarbear"I would love to stick my 2 pennyworth in but if you keep getting the "quote" wrong I will have to kill you. Evil or Very Mad[/quote]

That has been annoying me too, to be fair.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 233 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3