Looking to get a new bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
all modern commuter 125s are made in China to a tight budget.

Suzuki VanVan is made in Japan.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:03 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I would love to stick my 2 pennyworth in but if you keep getting the "quote" wrong I will have to kill you. Evil or Very Mad

Laughing I wonder what the OP's using to break quotes.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Laughing I wonder what the OP's using to break quotes.

Mild autism.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
No to chinese bikes, cruisers, and finance Smile Not sure how much that helps. Out of that list I'd bee looking at the YBR or maybe Maraunder, but save up £800-1000 and get a good second-hand bike.

OK, Well, Chinese bikes, well, actually, any bikes, do some research, having said that, I haven't struggled for parts ..

Nothing wrong with cruisers, if you like cruisers, I've had a few over the years, and when I didn't have 1 i missed having 1, so, got another.

Agree with the finance comment, or, if you have to go the finance route, it might be cheaper to just get a personal loan, rather than a motorbike loan via black horse etc, may be cheaper still to get a loan with the bank that you're already a customer at.

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason I'd go Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki over less well known makes is one of parts. If you're new you will inevitably break something in a drop or an off, or if you keep it long enough have to replace things due to simple maintenance.

Chinese bikes and others like Hyosung may result in difficulty in obtaining parts or a long wait to do so while they are sourced and arrive. I can google a Honda or Suzuki parts fiche, have the part number and get the replacement extremely fast for a common bike. That means little or no time off the road, and if you're commuting on it no time dealing with the crappy bus or train.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
M.C wrote:
No to chinese bikes, cruisers, and finance Smile Not sure how much that helps. Out of that list I'd bee looking at the YBR or maybe Maraunder, but save up £800-1000 and get a good second-hand bike.

OK, Well, Chinese bikes, well, actually, any bikes, do some research, having said that, I haven't struggled for parts ..

Nothing wrong with cruisers, if you like cruisers, I've had a few over the years, and when I didn't have 1 i missed having 1, so, got another.

Agree with the finance comment, or, if you have to go the finance route, it might be cheaper to just get a personal loan, rather than a motorbike loan via black horse etc, may be cheaper still to get a loan with the bank that you're already a customer at.

My biggest beef with chinese bikes is depreciation, I accept with the right fettling they can be alright, whether a youngin' would be capable and/or willing is another matter. Sure people have their preferred styles but like the Hyosung aqua bollocks mentioned earlier, that's incredibly heavy for a 125. The only good thing about a 125's the lightness.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:30 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayxjay wrote:
why not a cruiser? (im a newbie, so explain if you dont mind)

Because....

M.C wrote:
Sure people have their preferred styles but like the Hyosung aqua bollocks mentioned earlier, that's incredibly heavy for a 125. The only good thing about a 125's the lightness.

... that.

Big cruisers, maybe. Small cruisers miss the point. They struggle to get up to and hold speed (you'll quickly come to have a horror of hills), they sound like lawnmowers, and they're dynamically incompetent. I had a 250 cruiser and that was comically underpowered, even for my modest tastes. It's the only bike I've really had buyer's remorse over.

Jayxjay wrote:
yamaha mt-125
Suzuki GSX-S125?

The Suzuki, we don't know, it's brand new.

The MT is probably the best 125 you can get at the moment.

However, just because you can doesn't mean that you should.

Yamaha want £450 up front then £109 a month for 3 years. Problem is, in less than 2 years you'll be 19 and you can and should do your A2 training and tests ASAP and stop wasting your time on a tiddler.

At that point you'll have given them £3066 and still won't own the bike. It'll cost you another £1308 to buy it in order to sell it, at which point it'll be worth about £2000, assuming you haven't thrown it down the road. Net loss will be about £2300.

You'll be expected to insure it fully comprehensive (it's not your bike, it's the finance company's) which will cost you even more money, perhaps a surprising amount - get quotes before you decide.

Alternatively, you could go and buy a used YBR125 with a fresh MOT for £1000. Set fire to it. Then buy another one. Ride it for 2 years, then set fire to that one too. You're still better off than you'd be with the MT-125.

I know you don't want to hear any of this. You want to hear that the MT (or insert-other-bike) is the shitzniz, and it's "only" £100 a month (more or less, ignoring the deposit, and the increased insurance costs).

You're at the age where you're supposed to not listen to geezers, and to to spend every penny of your income on the brappiest thing you can have. Society practically requires it. It's not wrong, because YOLO and that.

However, the fact is, it doesn't make much sense.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
all modern commuter 125s are made in China to a tight budget.

Suzuki VanVan is made in Japan.

Thumbs Up
https://s25.postimg.org/5j31uuidb/vanvan1.jpg
https://s25.postimg.org/sw13dcygv/vanvan2.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come I never get parcels like that turning up at my door?

I shall show my wife this so she can see how proper wives look after their husbands. Whistle

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:10 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
How come I never get parcels like that turning up at my door?

I shall show my wife this so she can see how proper wives look after their husbands. Whistle

That was for his missus (and from memory those shots are it arriving at the dealership) but feel free to use them persuasively anyway.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:47 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Jayxjay wrote:
why not a cruiser? (im a newbie, so explain if you dont mind)

Because....

M.C wrote:
Sure people have their preferred styles but like the Hyosung aqua bollocks mentioned earlier, that's incredibly heavy for a 125. The only good thing about a 125's the lightness.

... that.

Big cruisers, maybe. Small cruisers miss the point. They struggle to get up to and hold speed (you'll quickly come to have a horror of hills), they sound like lawnmowers, and they're dynamically incompetent. I had a 250 cruiser and that was comically underpowered, even for my modest tastes. It's the only bike I've really had buyer's remorse over.

Jayxjay wrote:
yamaha mt-125
Suzuki GSX-S125?

The Suzuki, we don't know, it's brand new.

The MT is probably the best 125 you can get at the moment.

However, just because you can doesn't mean that you should.

Yamaha want £450 up front then £109 a month for 3 years. Problem is, in less than 2 years you'll be 19 and you can and should do your A2 training and tests ASAP and stop wasting your time on a tiddler.

At that point you'll have given them £3066 and still won't own the bike. It'll cost you another £1308 to buy it in order to sell it, at which point it'll be worth about £2000, assuming you haven't thrown it down the road. Net loss will be about £2300.

You'll be expected to insure it fully comprehensive (it's not your bike, it's the finance company's) which will cost you even more money, perhaps a surprising amount - get quotes before you decide.

Alternatively, you could go and buy a used YBR125 with a fresh MOT for £1000. Set fire to it. Then buy another one. Ride it for 2 years, then set fire to that one too. You're still better off than you'd be with the MT-125.

I know you don't want to hear any of this. You want to hear that the MT (or insert-other-bike) is the shitzniz, and it's "only" £100 a month (more or less, ignoring the deposit, and the increased insurance costs).

You're at the age where you're supposed to not listen to geezers, and to to spend every penny of your income on the brappiest thing you can have. Society practically requires it. It's not wrong, because YOLO and that.

However, the fact is, it doesn't make much sense.

I see the Borg is filling in during Tef's mysterious absence.. Mr. Green

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:58 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's still typing. Razz

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:38 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
He's still typing. Razz

It's all the extra letterse, apostrophe's and CAPITALISATIOUSE required; takes ages.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:00 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThoughtControl wrote:
Chinese bikes and others like Hyosung may result in difficulty in obtaining parts or a long wait to do so while they are sourced and arrive. I can google a Honda or Suzuki parts fiche, have the part number and get the replacement extremely fast for a common bike. That means little or no time off the road, and if you're commuting on it no time dealing with the crappy bus or train.

Depends what you need. Had the bike off the road for a month before because it was a special order part.

Jayxjay
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:11 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay well basically i need it mostly for commuting, its currently taking me 90 mins ish one way to college on a bus and its not worth it. socially as well, it'd make it MUCH more easier to get places.

what bikes would you recommend? i know the mt isnt really worth it especially because it doesnt hold its value that much...

whats your opinion on mutt mongel 125?

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:51 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen pretty much all Chinese bikes rot away badly in time but if you're not going to keep it long then I'd certainly consider a Chinese 125 or 250 that had an engine based on the old Honda Belny twins because the engines are actually not that badly designed. They're modern copies of old tried and true Honda engines that have a good reputation for not blowing up and spares are plentiful and cheap, and more importantly the spares are brand new.

Like most people here I rate Japanese bikes much better than Chinese ones but new Jap bikes are costly and some of the great smaller ones aren't even made anymore so you have to keep an eye on Ebay to keep them going. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's just down to what you want. A secondhand Jap bike will probably cost as much as a new Chinese one. Personally I'd go for a secondhand Jap like a Marauder or a VanVan or especially a YBR.

But if you just want something cheap and cheerful you can get a brand new Chinese bike for a couple of grand. I think the AJS look nice for a Chinese bike. If you don't batter the hell out of it then it should last long enough to get you through your testing stages and maybe then start looking at a more long term reasonable bike.

Whatever you do don't even THINK about getting anything "vintage". That is a madness best avoided for oh so many reasons.

I've just had a look at the Mutt and it basically looks like a nice version of an old Honda CG125, and I like it. I've heard other people say that the Chinese CG clones are actually pretty good for what they are. I could be wrong, it might be an engine based on the Suzuki GN125, which is also not a bad Chinese clone. Personally I rather like the looks of the Mutt and they do make big bore kits for those engines...

Don't get me started.

Last edited by lingeringstink on 20:59 - 10 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:57 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayxjay wrote:
whats your opinion on mutt mongel 125?

Didn't we just do this?

Rogerborg wrote:
They're cheap underpowered Chinese bikes with some pretty aftermarket parts thrown on.

That's not to say that they're bad, just that they're cheap underpowered Chinese bikes with some pretty aftermarket parts thrown on.

Nothing looks good with L plates on, and you'll struggle to find any buyer when you realise what a mistake it was paying £2500 for a cheap underpowered Chinese bike with some pretty aftermarket parts thrown on.

Sorry that this isn't what you want to hear, but the answer is the same as it always is: buy a used Japanese branded bike like a YBR125, then get licensed up and get rid of it as soon as possible, for pretty much what you paid for it.

thepuma
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBR125 all day long..will cost you almost nothing in the long run. Buy a 2 year old one and sell it in 12 months for same price.. 100+ mpg too.

Don't get finance on a 125....id guarantee after 6 months you'll be yearning for a bigger bike and unable to get one due to having 3 years on finance on a poxy 125.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thepuma wrote:
YBR125 all day long..will cost you almost nothing in the long run. Buy a 2 year old one and sell it in 12 months for same price.. 100+ mpg too.

Don't get finance on a 125....id guarantee after 6 months you'll be yearning for a bigger bike and unable to get one due to having 3 years on finance on a poxy 125.

He's 17 so he'll be stuck on it for a while Sad

Jayxjay
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:05 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSX 125 or CB125F ???

MattE
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:24 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayxjay wrote:
MSX 125 or CB125F ???

I know someone that owns an MSX125 or "grom" and they are a meme of a bike Laughing but from what I hear they are very good except being rather on the slow side. Other than that I believe they are very nice bikes.

Meanwhile wait for Teflon to come and give you an essay on which bike you should get and why.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:53 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayxjay wrote:
MSX 125 or CB125F ???

You know the MSX's a 'mini' bike right?

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/-/media/hl22109.ashx?h=444&w=740&la=en&hash=9E12745DA1727C4818239AC22090BBDA9ACCD6A3
^ on the right.

Neither are particularly well made, Honda build quality went years ago. The MSX will probably hold its value better, but they're expensive to start with. MSX is 9bhp and 100kg, CB125F 10.5bhp and 128kg.

Remember the MSX's small and has small wheels, so the CB125F is the more 'normal' option. I wouldn't go for either personally Razz

MattE
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:59 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayxjay wrote:
MSX 125 or CB125F ???

You would be lucky to find a grom under £2500 and thats pre owned that would be one of the problems then insurance could be huge as well.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:58 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattRides wrote:

You would be lucky to find a grom under £2500

Where are you looking? There's loads.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-MSX-125-64-GROM-REDUCED-FREE-ITEMS-/232447660451?hash=item361ef5d1a3%3Ag%3AwIkAAOSw0hRZdvCV&_trkparms=pageci%253Ae30b6672-8310-11e7-aaac-74dbd1806abe%257Cparentrq%253Aeec42f7c15d0ac8074e50c4efffee747%257Ciid%253A2

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/honda-msx125-/112526795260?hash=item1a331ea1fc%3Ag%3Ab~gAAOSwM7BZk01V&_trkparms=pageci%253Ae30b6672-8310-11e7-aaac-74dbd1806abe%257Cparentrq%253Aeec42f7c15d0ac8074e50c4efffee747%257Ciid%253A3

2 of the first 3 results.
Bricemclain This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 226 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3